Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,585
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You can decive people with ideology or religion for a limited time. There will be sevral tasks waiting for Taliban;

- feeding the people
- providing or continuing the central authority over a tribal structure
-distrubuting the economic benefits coming with being in power within whatever constitues the thing called Taliban

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,583
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India

“If they find me, they will kill me,” said Fariba Akemi, 40, talking about the Taliban after the militant group returned to power in Afghanistan on August 15.

Fariba Akemi, who used to live in Herat, Afghanistan’s third largest city, came to India four years ago with two of her daughters to give them a better life away from the shackles of the Taliban.

In an interview with the Independent, Fariba Akemi, who now lives in Delhi, said the Taliban had issued a death warrant against her -- without an expiry date. She decided to flee her homeland after her husband, a Taliban fighter himself, sold her other two daughters to the militants to pay off his debts.

Fariba Akemi hoped she would get granted a refugee card by the Indian government which would open up access to various entitlements for her and her daughters.

“While walking on the road I fear someone will stab me from behind or someone will abduct my daughters. India has given me a lot but I need to leave India now. I need help from the Indian government,” she said.

Fariba Akemi used to work in a gym before the Covid pandemic forced its shut down. The Covid-19 situation in Delhi has also held up the process of appealing for her refugee ID card, she said.

“My case has been pending due to the Covid pandemic. I fear for my life and the pandemic has thinned out savings. I was without work for most of the time,” she said.

“All I am asking for is the basic human right to safety, and to live. I need help so that my two daughters do not meet the same fate as their sisters,” she said.

Daughters sold to Taliban
Fariba Akemi said she was married off at the age of 14 by her parents to an acquaintance they knew little about. “In Herat, no one cares about age. He was 20 years older than me and [yet] I accepted my nikah [marriage] to him as we were facing extreme financial woes. No one in my family knew his actual identity,” she said.

“Soon after our wedding, he started beating and abusing [me]. He [sometimes] did not return home for days and months on end. Everything started falling apart. I was robbed of education as he never let me study, because for him a wife was merely a khidmati [server] for him. I accepted it as my fate and we had four daughters,” she said.

Fariba Akemi said by the time her eldest daughter turned 14, the family was under a pile of debt. Her husband, who used to do drugs and got involved in its business, sold off their daughter to settle the debts.

“He sold my eldest daughter who was 14 at that time for 500,000 Afghanis [£4,225]. I used to cry all the time, and no one helped us. He threatened me that he would do the same with my three other daughters if I told anyone,” she said.

Her husband didn't stop there. He sold off their second daughter, who Fariba Akemi said was around 11 or 12 of age. "I went to the police and the Afghan government to seek help in finding my daughter,” she said.

When her husband found out that she had gone to the authorities to seek help, he responded by attacking her with a knife, Fariba Akemi said.

“He attacked me at four places on my body. I still carry the scars on my neck, my arms and my two fingers do not work,” she said.

Death threats from Taliban
Despite this, Fariba Akemi said she went to the police to lodge a complaint. But this time her husband had fled Herat, and later the police confirmed to her that he was a Taliban fighter.

“After he left, I got a call from the Taliban saying they need my third daughter as my husband has [already] taken the money for her,” she said.

Also Read: Half a million Afghans, women and children forced to flee Afghanistan due to violence: UN

Having already lost two daughters, Fariba Akemi decided to leave the country with the other two daughters. The Taliban sent repeated notices to her family back in Herat, issuing a death warrant in her name and threatening them with dire consequences if she does not return with her daughters.

“The Taliban has announced death to me for escaping with my two daughters. But the notice does not say anything about the two daughters I have lost. I have no idea what happened to them or if they are dead or alive,” she said.

'Taliban's thinking can never change'
On the Taliban promising to respect women's right within the norms of Islamic law in their new government, Fariba Akemi said these were “hollow promises to regain power” by the militant group.

“Their thinking can never change. They are portraying themselves as reformed but in reality they [are the same as before],” she said.

Describing the Taliban as “the enemy of the world”, Fariba Akemi said, “There are many women like me who would say the same but they are too scared to speak out. [Soon] the world will again know how life is under Taliban rule."

Despite escaping the clutches of the Taliban, Fariba Akemi said she still fears for her own and her family’s safety. She said her husband already knows she lives in Delhi after an Afghani YouTuber filmed a video of her and put it up on his channel.

“I have been spending sleepless nights since the Taliban returned to power. I have my whole family, my brothers, sisters, father and mother in Herat. The wifi is too weak in Herat now to talk to them on video call and see their faces. I miss them and I am scared for them. I will never be able to forgive myself if anything happens to them,” she said.

rainmaker

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bangladesh

Having already lost two daughters, Fariba Akemi decided to leave the country with the other two daughters. The Taliban sent repeated notices to her family back in Herat, issuing a death warrant in her name and threatening them with dire consequences if she does not return with her daughters.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Threatening letters from the Taliban, once tantamount to a death sentence, are now being forged and sold to Afghans who want to start a new life in Europe.

The handwritten notes on the stationery of the so-called Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan were traditionally sent to those alleged to have worked with Afghan security forces or U.S.-led troops, listing their “crimes” and warning that a “military commission” would decide on their punishment. They would close with the mafia-style caveat that insurgents “will take no further responsibility for what happens in the future.”

But nowadays the Taliban say they have mostly ceased the practice, while those selling forged threat letters are doing a brisk business as tens of thousands of Afghans flee to Europe, hoping to claim asylum. Forgers say a convincing threat letter can go for up to $1,000.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Interesting list of the only countries to retain their embassies in Afghanistan. Rest including female right champions have fled -

• Iran
  • Pakistan
  • Turkey
  • China
  • Russia

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
This is the dreaded member of the Haqqani Network - so called sword arm of Pakistan by Indian media who are in charge of Kabul security now. Interesting interview by TRT World

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom