News Women's tennis is challenging the Chinese government -- and it shows no sign of backing down

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
When tennis star Peng Shuai launched her explosive #MeToo accusation against a former Communist Party leader earlier this month, the Chinese government responded in typical fashion -- by muffling her with blanket censorship.

Now, more than two weeks on, Beijing is facing a storm of its own making, as the global women's tennis community rises up to challenge Chinese authorities for silencing one of their peers.
Peng, 35, a two-time former Grand Slam doubles champion, has vanished from the public eye since she accused former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, 75, of coercing her into sex at his home in a since-deleted social media post on November 2. Since then, Chinese censors have been diligently scrubbing her name and even the vaguest references to her allegations from the internet.
But the silencing campaign has failed to work outside of China. Over the past few days, the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) and some of its biggest stars, past and present, have spoken out in solidarity with Peng, demanding to know her whereabouts.
Concerns have only grown after Chinese state media released a screenshot of an email, purportedly from Peng and sent to the WTA, walking back her sexual allegations and claiming "everything is fine."

In an interview with CNN, WTA chief Steve Simon described the email as a "staged statement of some type." He also declared the association is "at a crossroads" with China, threatening to pull business out of the country if Peng's safety is not guaranteed and her allegations not properly investigated

And the reverberations don't just end in women's tennis -- already, male tennis players have joined the Twitter campaign titled #WhereIsPengShuai, as have football stars.
With the Winter Olympics less than three months away, analysts say the controversy, if unresolved, could snowball into an unprecedented showdown between the wider sports community and Beijing.
"Sports fans around the world will be paying attention to this story, which includes billions of people," said William Nee, a research and advocacy coordinator at NGO Chinese Human Rights Defenders (CHRD).
"This is an absolutely looming disaster for the Chinese government. Every day that gets closer to the Winter Olympics, the disaster gets bigger and bigger for them -- if they don't resolve this."
The Beijing Olympics, scheduled for February, is already facing growing calls for a boycott over the Chinese government's crackdown on Xinjiang, Tibet and Hong Kong. And the global outcry over the disappearance of Peng -- who has played in three Olympics -- can amplify those calls, Nee said.

That a since-censored social media post could rally the tennis world to stand up to Beijing would likely have come as a surprise for the Chinese government. In recent years, authorities in Beijing have successfully silenced not only countless domestic voices, but also a growing list of Western companies and industries hoping to maintain access to the lucrative Chinese market -- from Hollywood to the NBA.

But the WTA has refused to play along.
"There (are) too many times in our world today when we get into issues like this, we let business, politics, money dictate what's right and what's wrong," Simon, the WTA chief, said in his CNN interview Thursday.
"We have to start as a world making decisions that are based upon right and wrong, period, and we can't compromise that," he said. "We're definitely willing to pull our business and deal with all the complications that come with it. Because this is certainly, this is bigger than the business."
By preparing to turn its back on access to the Chinese market, including a 10-year deal to hold its annual finals in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, the WTA is posing a direct challenge to Beijing.

Full article

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Good, we support her. China is not a country when a teenager girl can be raped by hundreds of men including the police officers, if it's forced against the lady's will, justice should be handed down.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Imagine if a sports star who has brought respect and glory to the country can "disappear", what hope can Uighurs and Tibetans have?

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Pengshuai's Original weibo (Youdao translation)

I know not to say clearly, said also useless, but still want to say, I am so hypocritical, I admit THAT I am not a good girl, very bad very bad girl, about three years ago Zhang Gaoli vice premier you retired, find Tianjin tennis center liu Doctor to contact me, about me to play ball, in Beijing kangming building. After playing golf this morning, you and your wife, Kang Jie, took me to your house. Then he took me into your room and offered to have sex with me as he did in Tianjin more than a decade ago. I was scared that afternoon. I didn't think it was going to be like this. We had sex seven years ago, and you haven't called me since you moved to Beijing. You buried everything in your heart, and if you weren't even going to take responsibility, why did you come back to me, take me to your house and force me to have sex with you? I don't have evidence, and THERE's no way I could have. Later you deny all the time, but it is really you like me first, otherwise I can not contact you.
I didn't agree to cry all the time that afternoon, but I had dinner with you and Aunt Kang Jie. You said that the universe was very big, and the earth was just a grain of sand in the universe, and we humans didn't even have a grain of sand. You also said a lot of things, just asking me to put my burden down. I didn't want to after dinner. You said you hated me! Say you again this seven years never forget me, will be good to me and so on...... I am afraid and panic to take 7 years ago to your affection agreed...... Yeah, we had sex. Affection is a very complicated thing, I can't explain it. From then on, I began to love you again. In the days when WE got along with each other, you were very nice and kind to me, and we talked about everything from modern history to ancient times. We played chess, singing, table tennis, table tennis, and we always had fun. Our personalities were so compatible that everything seemed to go together.

Since leaving home early, the heart is extremely short of love, in the face of all this happened, I never think I am a good girl, I hate myself, hate why I came to this world, experience this disaster. You told me that you love me, love, the next life hope in your 20 years old and I 18 years old when we met. You say you are very lonely, a person is very poor, we have to chat endless days, talk endless words, you say you this position has no way to divorce, if you know each other in Shandong, still can divorce, but now there is no way. I want to be unknown to the public and accompany you like this, ok at the beginning, but the time is long and slowly changed, too much injustice and insult. Every time you let me go, behind your back your wife said horrible things to me, all kinds of taunts. When I say I like eating duck tongue, Kangjie will tell me ~ yip is disgusting. When I said that sometimes the air was not good, Aunt Kang Jie would say to me, "That's your suburb, we have no feeling here. And so on, such as similar to the words of the many, many, you in when she didn't say so, seems like us, when two people get along is the same, there are others when you is the same to me.

I have told you that I feel very sad and wronged after hearing these words. Since the first day I met you, I have never used any money from you, let alone sought any benefits or benefits from you, but this thing is really important. I deserve it. I deserve it. From the beginning to the end, you told me to keep my relationship with you a secret, and not to tell my mother that she had a relationship with you, because she always drove me to siskku Church, and then changed your car to get into the yard. She always thought I was playing mahjong at your house. We are in each other's life is a real life in a transparent person, your wife is like the queen of Zhen Huan chuan, and I can not describe myself how unbearable, a lot of time I feel myself or a person? I feel like a zombie, pretending, pretending every day, which one of me is the real me? I shouldn't have been born, but I didn't have the courage to die. I wish I could live a simpler life, but I don't.

30 that night dispute is very big, you say 2 afternoon again go to your home we talk slowly, today noon call say occupy contact again, evasive everything, excuse say another day contact...... ", just like seven years ago "disappeared", play to want to give up. You said there was no deal between us. Yes, our relationship has nothing to do with money or power. However, I have nowhere to put my feelings in these three years. You're always afraid I'll bring a recorder or leave evidence. Yes, I left no evidence, no recordings, no videos, only distorted versions of my true experience.

I know for your powerful vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, you have said that you are not afraid. But I'll tell you the truth, even if it means killing me. With your intelligence you must deny it or you can turn it on me, you can be so cynical. You always say that you want your mother to bless you in heaven, and I'm a bad girl who doesn't deserve to be a mother, and you have a son and a daughter as a father, and I asked you would you force her to do that even if it were your adopted daughter? All that you've done in this life will you be able to face your mother with ease? We are all very sanctimonious......

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Imagine if a sports star who has brought respect and glory to the country can "disappear", what hope can Uighurs and Tibetans have?
Sexual scandals happen in every country, including US and India, we are all humans. From Pengshuai's original post, it's more likely to be a failed long term affair. what puzzles me is that Peng is not a pretty type, why he likes her for over 7 years...putting his political career in jepordy, just because she is the world champion? Chinese has so many pretty world champions.

India may not have many world champions but China has so many, most Chinese people only learned her name because of this scandal, not because she was a world champion.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Sexual scandals happen in every country, including US and India, we are all humans. From Pengshuai's original post, it's more likely to be a failed long term affair. what puzzles me is that Peng is not a pretty type, why he likes her for over 7 years...putting his political career in jepordy, just because she is the world champion? Chinese has so many pretty world champions.

India may not have many world champions but China has so many, most Chinese people only learned her name because of this scandal, not because she was a world champion.

Please stick to the topic that is China and its history of disappearing people including a prominent sports personality now. To discuss other countries, feel free to open appropriate threads instead of engaging in whataboutery.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Please stick to the topic that is China and its history of disappearing people including a prominent sports personality now. To discuss other countries, feel free to open appropriate threads instead of engaging in whataboutery.
Western media claimed many people "disappear", Including Jack Ma, lol, only found out they are somewhere in a resort vacationing. Shameless lying is a common practice for them.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
As concern grows for Peng Shuai, in China her story is barely a whisper

Without concerted effort, some risk and a good VPN, learning about Peng’s case in China is largely impossible. The government will say nothing, and state media has reported nothing. Chinese access to foreign media is strictly controlled: CNN said on Friday its local feed was cut every time they mentioned the case. The Guardian is among numerous foreign outlets that are blocked entirely.

The only formal mention by Chinese media has been an apparently ham-fisted attempt by the state-run English language broadcaster, CGTN. On Wednesday it published on Twitter a screenshot of text it claimed was an email Peng sent to the head of the WTA, Steve Simon, saying she was fine and withdrawing her allegations.

The purported email was quickly dismissed: the screenshot had no dateline, subject field or addresses, and contained a visible cursor. It was not published in Chinese or anywhere in China, despite the obvious interest and concern among those who saw her viral post before it was deleted.

The idea that CGTN might have badly concocted a fake email was seen as somewhat laughable but also chilling. Observers noted the language in the text was similar to previous forced confessions and statements by dissidents in the past – many of which were broadcast by CGTN. Peng’s “email” was in stark contrast to her original post.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
As concern grows for Peng Shuai, in China her story is barely a whisper

Without concerted effort, some risk and a good VPN, learning about Peng’s case in China is largely impossible. The government will say nothing, and state media has reported nothing. Chinese access to foreign media is strictly controlled: CNN said on Friday its local feed was cut every time they mentioned the case. The Guardian is among numerous foreign outlets that are blocked entirely.

The only formal mention by Chinese media has been an apparently ham-fisted attempt by the state-run English language broadcaster, CGTN. On Wednesday it published on Twitter a screenshot of text it claimed was an email Peng sent to the head of the WTA, Steve Simon, saying she was fine and withdrawing her allegations.

The purported email was quickly dismissed: the screenshot had no dateline, subject field or addresses, and contained a visible cursor. It was not published in Chinese or anywhere in China, despite the obvious interest and concern among those who saw her viral post before it was deleted.

The idea that CGTN might have badly concocted a fake email was seen as somewhat laughable but also chilling. Observers noted the language in the text was similar to previous forced confessions and statements by dissidents in the past – many of which were broadcast by CGTN. Peng’s “email” was in stark contrast to her original post.

More lies, I don't know any Chinese who doesn't know it.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Peng Shuai, the Chinese tennis star whose welfare has been the focus of intense international concern, appeared at a youth tennis event in Beijing on Sunday morning. Peng was standing at the sidelines of the Fila Kids Junior Tennis Challenger Finals.Video of Peng at the event was also shared on Twitter by several state media reporters earlier on Sunday morning.

6c68683c-4a99-11ec-88c2-0bacf4eabd5b_image_hires_182759.JPG

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Couples of months ago, coverage of Jack Ma's " disappearacne" was all over western media channels, they only found out later than Jack Ma was in Hong kong vacationing, last year they even reported Xi's disappearance and kim jong un's possible death... lol..

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,377
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
They wondered about Jack Ma too, lol.. western media is the most efficient force in the world to make people "disappear"
Yeah , Peng Shuai is at best under hostage.

Let's see if CCP allow her to leave China

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom