Ravenman

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,528
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There was a Dutch professor of the University of Utrecht at TV now, his name is Douwe van Hinsbergen.

He said: "Turkey is surrounded by 3 tectonian plates, the Arabian, African and Eurasian plates. Every earthquake brings Turkey closer to Greece geographically. Every earthquake makes the Aegean smaller ".

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I said I'm being political, thanks for pointing out the obvious buddy.

We don't even know the final death figures. It can easily be as much as 10,000 or more. By the way, in Istanbul alone there are over 80,000 buildings that aren't earthquake resistant. Estimates of over 3 million people just in Istanbul that are at great risk.

These politicians have peoples blood on their hands. If we don't raise our voices now then it'll happen again.

I think you are right sadly, people only after tragedies get motivated to make real changes that can benefit the nation. That said, you should be careful not to just blame Erdoğan only, although he is partly to blame for not doing more. The ones that have most of the fault are those that let people build the Gecekondu in the first place for electoral reasons and the political system around them. Turkey needs to harness this moment to rally for long-term institutional change and a move away from populism.
There was a Dutch professor of the University of Utrecht at TV now, his name is Douwe van Hinsbergen.

He said: "Turkey is surrounded by 3 tectonian plates, the Arabian, African and Eurasian plates. Every earthquake brings Turkey closer to Greece geographically. Every earthquake makes the Aegean smaller ".

This is well-known in fact, the reason why turkey has so many mountains is because of these earthquakes. by the time any type of distance between Turkey and Greece has been noticeably drawn closer, it would have been tens of thousands of years.

Last edited:

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 4,996
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
This is just shocking. So much destruction. The freezing weather makes it even worse for those who are trapped. I feel for those with family in the affected regions.

It is a miracle that the deaths and injured are in the low thousands.
Seeing as a certain group of users keep ganging up on Tonyukuk due to finding him offensive, let me interject and say that you cannot simply ignore the fact that tens of thousands have either lost someone they know or are frantically searching for them right now because of something which was preventable. Calling the "low" death toll a miracle while people were living in unsuitable housing for a earthquake-prone zone is a bit silly. Remember that earthquakes seldom cause death or injury on their own, it's the buildings that kill. Türkiye needs to not only follow the lead of nations like Japan, but also innovate in this field. Otherwise tragedy may strike again. Logic must prevail. We cannot be emotional for the next week then forget about it. We must begin to implement a solution as soon as the rubble is cleared. This is beyond politics.

Last edited:

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
The destruction is unfortunately colossal. The death toll will surely exceed 2,000 as 2,824 buildings have collapsed in Turkey alone, trapping thousands of people under the rubble. 😢

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I’m sad. Very sad.
Such moments you can’t find any kind of energy in you getting into endless political debacles, bad governance and so on.
There are thousands still under the rubbles waiting to be rescued

Let’s for the moment just hope for the safety of survivors and pray for those who are still trapped beneath the collapsed buildings

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,729
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
What is happening in Turkey is unprecedented
No earthquake of such magnitude and in consecutive successions ever occured in Turkey over the last 5 decades

Especially in areas where the earthquake initially originated, rumors indicate that such areas never experienced earthquakes since the year 1500

Obviously the govt could have done better but till now it isnt that bad. In Syria, where the earthquake propagated, more than 600 has been killed already and the Syrian metropolis isnt as congested as Turkey

In other words, no one expected this screwed up situation and may those who lost any lived ones live strong and know that hopefully they will enter into paradise🙏😥

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 822
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India

India rushing NDRF, Medical Teams After GoI Offers all Possible Assistance to earthquake-hit Turkey​

Two NDRF (National Disaster Relief Force) teams comprising 100 personnel with specially trained dog squads and necessary equipment are set to be flown to the earthquake-hit areas for search and rescue operations, a statement from the PMO read.

“Medical Teams are also being readied with trained doctors and paramedics with essential medicines. Relief material will be dispatched in coordination with the Government of Republic of Türkiye and Indian Embassy in Ankara and Consulate General office in Istanbul”, the PMO statement added

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...to-earthquake-hit-turkey-101675675816929.html

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,261
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is just shocking. So much destruction. The freezing weather makes it even worse for those who are trapped. I feel for those with family in the affected regions.

Seeing as a certain group of users keep ganging up on Tonyukuk due to finding him offensive, let me interject and say that you cannot simply ignore the fact the fact that tens of thousands have either lost someone they know or are frantically searching for them right now because of something which was preventable. Calling the "low" death toll a miracle while people were living in unsuitable housing for a earthquake-prone zone is a bit silly. Remember that earthquakes seldom cause death or injury on their own, it's the buildings that kill. Türkiye needs to not only follow the lead of nations like Japan, but also innovate in this field. Otherwise tragedy may strike again.

US meteorologist and disaster expert Chad Myers [Earthquake]:

▪️“We are talking about a centerline rather than an epicenter.”
▪️“Earth slipped along a 100-mile (160 km) long line where the massive Arabian and Eurasian tectonic plates meet.”

GEUS, the National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland:

▪️“The earthquake in Turkey was so strong that tremors were measured in Denmark and Greenland.”
▪️“We were able to measure the earthquake from Denmark and Greenland seismographs.”

Nobody's sorry, but;

-It was an earthquake that could happen once in 100 years.
- No one could have imagined that there would be a large-scale earthquake in that area in recent history, even if it were not so severe.

That's why I don't think anyone can go to a construction that can survive an earthquake of this magnitude with minor abrasions.

For God's sake, this is not Istanbul or Marmara. If the earthquake had happened in Marmara then you would be right. But here we are talking about breaking a 160 km fault line from 10 provinces.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,729
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

US meteorologist and disaster expert Chad Myers [Earthquake]:

▪️“We are talking about a centerline rather than an epicenter.”
▪️“Earth slipped along a 100-mile (160 km) long line where the massive Arabian and Eurasian tectonic plates meet.”

GEUS, the National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland:

▪️“The earthquake in Turkey was so strong that tremors were measured in Denmark and Greenland.”
▪️“We were able to measure the earthquake from Denmark and Greenland seismographs.”

Nobody's sorry, but;

-It was an earthquake that could happen once in 100 years.
- No one could have imagined that there would be a large-scale earthquake in that area in recent history, even if it were not so severe.

That's why I don't think anyone can go to a construction that can survive an earthquake of this magnitude with minor abrasions.

For God's sake, this is not Istanbul or Marmara. If the earthquake had happened in Marmara then you would be right. But here we are talking about breaking a 160 km fault line from 10 provinces.
As I said, this earthquake was unprecedented
No one would have expected this fqed up situation since nothing similar for at least 5 decades... period!

Although with better construction rules, there would have been less casualities

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,934
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
What is happening in Turkey is unprecedented
No earthquake of such magnitude and in consecutive successions ever occured in Turkey over the last 5 decades
I mean there was the 1999 earthquake.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,052
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wish God's mercy on the deceased and a speedy recovery to the injured. Unfortunately, the housing problem has become very, very serious. No one can enter their house there because of earthquakes with a magnitude greater than 7.5 one after the other. Winter conditions also make the housing problem deadly.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,261
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

FoS2F8ZXwAQywKT