Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,644
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Per the recent 75 million contract, a single Coyote 2C C-UAS missile comes up at 125.000$. This will sell like crazy.

A smaller vehicle borne system like M-LIDS here could actually be a great addition to our smaller bases all around Syria, cheaper too. We could do it on a Vuran.
This is a very interesting system.

We know that SAGE is working on a A2A cost effective mini-missile called Akdogan. It is supposed to be the smaller version of Bozdogan. They aim at integrating it to UCAVs and Hurjet so it can serve as a cost effective weapon used mainly against drones and helicopters.

Most probably it will fill the gap between Sungur and Bozdogan in terms of range.

There are many platforms on which it can possibly be integrated together with a small AESA radar.

I am 99% sure that we will also see this as a module to the modular platform of GURZ. If fired in salvo mode I think it may also be very effective against swarm drones.

I have a question. Do you guys think that GURZ with integrated Akdogan missile, Gokberk laser weapon, its turret and a suitable radar can act as a C-RAM in a point defence scenario?

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,776
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have a question. Do you guys think that GURZ with integrated Akdogan missile, Gokberk laser weapon, its turret and a suitable radar can act as a C-RAM in a point defence scenario?
I personally don't think so. C-RAM's need to act like CIWS, which is why the one US uses is literally a Phalanx but on land, and other systems are all more or less the same. While in theory Gürz could also do that with its cannon, I think Korkut is a much better solution for that, or, the turret MKE was making which had 6 barrel 20mm gun, basically a land Phalanx.

Of course, once the laser solutions are advanced enough, I expect they will first complement, then slowly replace other solutions.

lLiberté

Reactions
2 43
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
the turret MKE was making which had 6 barrel 20mm gun, basically a land Phalanx.
That turret was actually promising design, I'm not sure why it was not pursued. It weighs around only 500kg and would be cheap solution for FPV kamikaze drones and smaller drones. It also had pod for two MANPADS which would be useful against bigger threats.

MKE S.W.S 20mm 6-Barrel Gatling & SUNGUR - 1.jpeg

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,776
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
That turret was actually promising design, I'm not sure why it was not pursued. It weighs around only 500kg and would be cheap solution for FPV kamikaze drones and smaller drones. It also had pod for two MANPADS which would be useful against bigger threats.

View attachment 65526
I don't know if the latest iteration has the pod, but I guess it could be added if necessary. I remember it being tested sometime in 2023 and was shown in IDEF 23, so perhaps it'll enter inventory later on.

Edit: Also, I just checked and you're way off in the weight department, MKE's version weighs 3500 kgs. The one you shared looks completely different as well.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

View attachment 65526
That crate only holds 100 or so ammo, so less than 0.5 seconds of engagement time for a Vulcan. And when you add a bigger ammo box and the place to hold that box, it's now a 2.5 ton system. There's a reason why C-RAM is on a flatbed trailer with a huge ammo drum under the gun.

lLiberté

Reactions
2 43
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know if the latest iteration has the pod, but I guess it could be added if necessary. I remember it being tested sometime in 2023 and was shown in IDEF 23, so perhaps it'll enter inventory later on.

Edit: Also, I just checked and you're way off in the weight department, MKE's version weighs 3500 kgs. The one you shared looks completely different as well.

The one I mentioned was shown in İDEF 2019, it is different than what is on MKE's website, YHSS. YHSS is proper C-RAM solution they're different. As I mentioned, it is discounted or evolved into YHSS.

That crate only holds 100 or so ammo, so less than 0.5 seconds of engagement time for a Vulcan. And when you add a bigger ammo box and the place to hold that box, it's now a 2.5 ton system. There's a reason why C-RAM is on a flatbed trailer with a huge ammo drum under the gun.

Precisely and thats probably why it was discontinued and/or evolved into YHSS. I'm not arguing that system was the best, if it would been, we would've seen in on the field already. All I'm saying the concept way good and I do believe we should pursue additional cheaper system against FPVs, more and more will be available on market in future and it's only matter of time we face with them in Middle East and Africa.

Last edited:

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We will add it to our army’s inventory within a few years. Thats the actual quote. Clickbait title.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The goal of Sky Shield is to
It involves countries jointly procuring air- and missile-defense systems and is designed to increase cost efficiency and flexibility.

and

The ESSI will use multi-layered defence, with the following systems planned:[6]

Are we buying Patriots or IRIS-T? Arrow 3 is probably not realistic due to current political circumstances.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey and Greece will formally join the German-led missile-defense project European Sky Shield

The wind is changing direction? We are starting another joint military program with the Germans after years, let's see what comes out of it.
Thinking about capabilities this would bring, doesn't ESSI use Patriot for long range, and Arrow 3 for ABM? How do we get into *that* ? This is not THAAD or SAMP-T that we may think about getting into with some back and forth.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,474
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The goal of Sky Shield is to

and

Are we buying Patriots or IRIS-T? Arrow 3 is probably not realistic due to current political circumstances.
It is said that a missile defense system can be purchased from Europe within the scope of the project. Apart from that, it seems certain that no air defense system will be purchased.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,203
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Maybe we are integrating SIPER into this system, and some manufacturing partnership? There were some talks about acquiring Patriot PAC 3 MSE for ballistic threats.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,425
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Sounds like a political participation. Not a technical one. Israel will never sell something sensitive as Arrow-3 to Türkiye. On the other hand, HISAR O+ is not much different than IRIS-T SLM. And the point of SIPER program is develop indeginous alternative for patriot or SAMP/T. But even if Türkiye need PAC-3, it can directly purchase it from USA.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
ESSI is practically a business platform to sell anti-air systems to (Eastern) European countries. Predominantly IRIS-T SLM and Patriot missiles, system parts which are jointly produced in Germany by Comlog (MBDA & Raytheon).

That‘s a reason why most ongoing European air defense tenders will go to IRIS-T in the name of system conformity, i.e. Romania. Germans are genius! 😁

Arrow 3 is a weird procurement (exoatmospheric anti-ballistic system against ICBM) instead of stationing air defense systems against quasi-ballistic Russian SRBM like Iskander or lower altitude MRBM in Europe.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,709
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is mostly a political move. I don't expect Turkiye to buy anything and sellers like Israel won't provide anything to Turkiye.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting wording from Güler.

"This initiative, led by Germany, is an important step towards the fulfillment of NATO's requirements while ensuring interoperability and integration of allies. Turkey is ready to contribute to this initiative with a wide range of national capabilities. I would like to thank Germany for its coordinating role in this important initiative. We will be pleased to work with you in this initiative that serves the concept of collective defense"

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 9,025
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Interesting wording from Güler.

"This initiative, led by Germany, is an important step towards the fulfillment of NATO's requirements while ensuring interoperability and integration of allies. Turkey is ready to contribute to this initiative with a wide range of national capabilities. I would like to thank Germany for its coordinating role in this important initiative. We will be pleased to work with you in this initiative that serves the concept of collective defense"

to me it looks like they play Turks for fools. keep screwing us, attacking us, undermining us, then just before it reaches breaking point throw a few scraps our way and were pacified again. banana style politics.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom