TR Altay Main Battle Tank & Related Programs

comolokko

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont think this project will come to life. I think that all synergy and energy will focus on unmanned aerial systems, marine vehicles, and electronic warfare systems.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
FNSS has Special Vehicle in their Factory, seen in the ACV-15 Modernization Video.

1622381976832.png

> FNSS is preparing they're offer for the Leopard 2A4 Modernization.

> FNSS is competing with BMCs offer which was nicknamed "LeoTay".

1622382105724.png

> According to an Defence Journalist "LeoTay" has been a failure. but take it with a grain of Salt.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
FNSS-Aselsan partnership has a shot to win the Leo2A4 upgrade contract after BMC couldn't deliver anything even though they are given so much time and resources.

BMC has been working on the project since 2018-2019 I guess. The project was given to them.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,742
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
This missile has been in Roketsan’s site for quite sometime. But it hasn’t really gone in to serial production. Instead Turkish Land forces have said they were going to buy the Ukrainian version until Roketsan’s matured.
Later the Konus missile with 5km range, were to be manufactured at MKEK premises in Turkey with TOT.

This is a great missile concept if it can have a range of 8-10km. As it can hit tanks from their weakest top area with pinpoint accuracy. It would negate to find powerful sabots to penetrate thick armour like leo2a7’s.
But they could be stopped by active protection systems like our Akkor.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
What are your views of collaboration between India and Turkey in Tanks? How many chances ?
Personally , I welcome if this happens

I think this probability is very low. Just my own prediction.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
I think this probability is very low. Just my own prediction.
I think if Turkey agrees, then Turkey should be the first priority for the Indian govt.

Many benefits to begin with :
1) Almost equivalent to western platforms
2) Future partnerships
3) Converting one sitting on fence country, in friend's list.
4) It Will be a good psychological blow to Indian adversaries

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey

K2 Panther by itself is an very expensive tank. Korea needs to offer Altay-like deal to India where with tech transfer/assistance K2 will be redesigned for India's needs. I don't think Turkish-Indian relations are good enough for India to work with Turkey for a major platform like this even Turkey offers tech transfer, Make In India. IA probably invited Turkey to see tech/capability demonstration of Altay.

Maybe if we successfully develop 1500hp power-pack for Altay. We can offer it to India with Korea considering if S&T Dynamics powerpack development being stalled is true.

India bought DIMDEG Auxiliary ships from Turkey and Turkey is the only major country to buy Indian HAL Dhruvs. But still even Turkey would be more reliable partner than western companies, India going with Altay option would be mean major change in Turkish-Indian relations.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
K2 Panther by itself is an very expensive tank. Korea needs to offer Altay-like deal to India where with tech transfer/assistance K2 will be redesigned for India's needs. I don't think Turkish-Indian relations are good enough for India to work with Turkey for a major platform like this even Turkey offers tech transfer, Make In India. IA probably invited Turkey to see tech/capability demonstration of Altay.

Maybe if we successfully develop 1500hp power-pack for Altay. We can offer it to India with Korea considering if S&T Dynamics powerpack development being stalled is true.

India bought DIMDEG Auxiliary ships from Turkey and Turkey is the only major country to buy Indian HAL Dhruvs. But still even Turkey would be more reliable partner than western companies, India going with Altay option would be mean major change in Turkish-Indian relations.
Believe me in the international arena no permanent friend or foe, the only permanent thing is interests.
We signed for the auxiliary ship's deal when relations were in the worst shape

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,173
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think if Turkey agrees, then Turkey should be the first priority for the Indian govt.

2) Future partnerships
That is not impossible as India has experience in space tech where Turkey is just entering.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
That is not impossible as India has experience in space tech where Turkey is just entering.
That's what I am saying there are many fields that are mutually beneficial for Turkey and India, we have a big middle class with decent purchasing power and you have some pretty decent quality products.

Space, defence , pharma , cyber , are such fields where scope of collaboration is immence

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,286
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

2) Future partnerships
Turkey has an interesting policy when it comes to cooperation in defence products.
Turkey sees this as business and doesn't act with emotions and hardly any politics.
Examples are selling drones tot to Saudi Arabia and military equipment to the UAE and Bahrain despite the trio's still ongoing wild smear campaign against Turkey alongside Egypt.
Another example is the fleet support vessel (FSV) that includes ToT for the Indian Navy, despite the cancellation and then the backtracking from the Indian side.

I think if India shows genuine interest in such cooperation, Turkey will likely respond positively.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom