Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,814
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Total yearly defense exports reached 4.2 billion $. I expect double the amount next year.

I would like to understand How effective this 4.2 bil of $ have effective meaning for Turkiye. :(

Example:
if usa used 4.2bill of money for develop military product is not equal to 4.2bil money that Turkiye can used that money to build same military product.

other example let just imaging
usa calculate that they need 5 years to build military platform X and they need 4.2bil
but if Turkiye calculate to build the same military platform X for 5 years then money will be at least 4 time less ~1bil

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,295
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would like to understand How effective this 4.2 bil of $ have effective meaning for Turkiye. :(

Example:
if usa used 4.2bill of money for develop military product is not equal to 4.2bil money that Turkiye can used that money to build same military product.

other example let just imaging
usa calculate that they need 5 years to build military platform X and they need 4.2bil
but if Turkiye calculate to build the same military platform X for 5 years then money will be at least 4 time less ~1bil
It will all make sense once you stop comparing the US with Türkiye.
Military wise, it's hard to compare the US even to other super powers. Different league altogether.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,853
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Military wise, it's hard to compare the US even to other super powers. Different league altogether.
I think you get him wrong. $4 billions for US means $20 billions for us. Just as an example.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,814
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

you misunderstand all.

Idea is to put Real model -> like usa -> making product for that money.
Then use other Real model Turkiye using same approach and get Result.
This Result will be close to the reality.

My understanding is not to Compare usa as power or as resources or man power or innovations..........................etc.

I could use europe but they follow other model which is not systematic, also they are purely rely on other partners to provide part for the planed military project, and also they keep doing the same mistake. They have high % of unfinished projects, because some convenient reason.

I do not what use as model russia or china. They are not on the same level, they are using steal and make similar etc............

after usa as model which i can use is South Korea. But there are 2 issues
- Turkiye more are less follow same ideas which S.K. already made
- But there are military platforms which S.K. even did not think of and that is why they have missed it and lost advantage. But Turkiye did not. Even more then that Turkiye made own military platforms which are real FACT available not a fantasy

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,814
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think you get him wrong. $4 billions for US means $20 billions for us. Just as an example.
Thank you
Yes i mean that.
But I am really not sure what is the Real number.

is 4bil = 20bil for Turkiye :(

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,185
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

The US piles up debt to feed their military but this can not go much further as the dollar is bleeding badly.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,701
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
4.2 billion is important because it means our defense industry is self-sufficient and doesn't need state subsidies to survive. From this point on there will be a snowball effect. Our companies won't need state funds to develop products. Baykar, TAI, Aselsan, and several other companies are already developing some of their projects with their own money. And yes, 4.2 billion in Turkiye has a lot more value than 4.2 billion in the US. That is how China rapidly expands its military capabilities even though it spends less than the US. Similar things will happen in Turkiye.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
you misunderstand all.

Idea is to put Real model -> like usa -> making product for that money.
Then use other Real model Turkiye using same approach and get Result.
This Result will be close to the reality.

My understanding is not to Compare usa as power or as resources or man power or innovations..........................etc.

I could use europe but they follow other model which is not systematic, also they are purely rely on other partners to provide part for the planed military project, and also they keep doing the same mistake. They have high % of unfinished projects, because some convenient reason.

I do not what use as model russia or china. They are not on the same level, they are using steal and make similar etc............

after usa as model which i can use is South Korea. But there are 2 issues
- Turkiye more are less follow same ideas which S.K. already made
- But there are military platforms which S.K. even did not think of and that is why they have missed it and lost advantage. But Turkiye did not. Even more then that Turkiye made own military platforms which are real FACT available not a fantasy
South Korea missed out male UCAV drone technology and ROKArmy generals are interested in AKINCI and Turkish drone expertise. Due to the war theatre on the Korean peninsula, they would hold total air dominance over the North and South Korea has an abundance of tank killer Apaches AH-64E or USFK A-10 Thunderbolts. So, no urgent need but the market is lucrative.

ROK Air Force was interested in Turkish SOM air launched cruise missiles but opted for Taurus because of heavier warhead and the sophisticated penetrator tech for bunker busting.

This year ROK will reach an estimated $10 billion arms export. Already performing a growth of 177% from 2016-2022.

„Even more then that Turkiye made own military platforms which are real FACT available not a fantasy

Which fantasy platforms do you mean?

Last edited:

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,814
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
South Korea missed out male UCAV drone technology and ROKArmy generals are interested in AKINCI and Turkish drone expertise. Due to the war theatre on the Korean peninsula, they would hold total air dominance over the North and South Korea has an abundance of tank killer Apaches AH-64E or USFK A-10 Thunderbolts. So, no urgent need but the market is lucrative.

ROK Air Force was interested in Turkish SOM air launched cruise missiles but opted for Taurus because of heavier warhead and the sophisticated penetrator tech for bunker busting.

This year ROK will reach $10 billion arms export, a 177% growth since 2016.

„Even more then that Turkiye made own military platforms which are real FACT available not a fantasy

Which fantasy platforms do you mean?

Lets clarify something.
My curiosity was about to get real estimation of 4,2bil Dollors of money. What that money represent for Turkiye military sector as capability to spend this money and generate product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me try to answer to you questions. For me they are couple according to you post.
For clarification Main idea is that S.Korea missed, neglected to start and produce own platform (any excuses like market or buy from other because of spec do not have weight as we already saw what happened to Turkiye when they want to buy product from the psudo allies)

1. "South Korea missed out male UCAV drone technology". Yes this one of the things.

2. "So, no urgent need but the market is lucrative." I am not looking for excuses (I do not want to be offender, but it is one of missed product which S.Korea neglected. Please have look above "For clarification sentence ").

3. "cruise missiles" like SOM is also another missed military product which S.Korea neglected

4. S.Korea also neglected to build own jet engine for his fighters.

I do not want keep going with the list. It is S.Korea path which they want to follow.
When I try to use S.Korea as model for comparison was that S.Korea started military projects at least 20 years before Turkiye.
And Turkiye is following the same path of S.Korea, but as I send S.Korea missed or neglected new innovation or I can say military platforms which S.Korea should be developed. For S.Korea above list is Fantasy (I am saying that S.Korea can have them from market or start develop them at present, but time advantage which S.Korea had is lost).

That is why I said Turkiye build and use this specific own military products. They are REAL, not Fantasy-> idea on paper which is planed.

I hope you understand what I try to say . Above military products are Strategic military asset and each Country which is capable to develop them must build it by present.

I can give you more products which S.Korea missed like above list which i wrote, but this will not help S.Korea plan to have them.
I Think S.Korea military decision maker neglected many military platforms

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,405
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Lets clarify something.
My curiosity was about to get real estimation of 4,2bil Dollors of money. What that money represent for Turkiye military sector as capability to spend this money and generate product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me try to answer to you questions. For me they are couple according to you post.
For clarification Main idea is that S.Korea missed, neglected to start and produce own platform (any excuses like market or buy from other because of spec do not have weight as we already saw what happened to Turkiye when they want to buy product from the psudo allies)

1. "South Korea missed out male UCAV drone technology". Yes this one of the things.

2. "So, no urgent need but the market is lucrative." I am not looking for excuses (I do not want to be offender, but it is one of missed product which S.Korea neglected. Please have look above "For clarification sentence ").

3. "cruise missiles" like SOM is also another missed military product which S.Korea neglected

4. S.Korea also neglected to build own jet engine for his fighters.

I do not want keep going with the list. It is S.Korea path which they want to follow.
When I try to use S.Korea as model for comparison was that S.Korea started military projects at least 20 years before Turkiye.
And Turkiye is following the same path of S.Korea, but as I send S.Korea missed or neglected new innovation or I can say military platforms which S.Korea should be developed. For S.Korea above list is Fantasy (I am saying that S.Korea can have them from market or start develop them at present, but time advantage which S.Korea had is lost).

That is why I said Turkiye build and use this specific own military products. They are REAL, not Fantasy-> idea on paper which is planed.

I hope you understand what I try to say . Above military products are Strategic military asset and each Country which is capable to develop them must build it by present.

I can give you more products which S.Korea missed like above list which i wrote, but this will not help S.Korea plan to have them.
I Think S.Korea military decision maker neglected many military platforms
i think, maybe you are misunderstanding south Koreas rationale behind the way they approached their strategic developments.
they didnt had any urgent need to develop engines for KFX as the supply chain is secure due to good relationship with USA.
But on the other hand, there is a plan for indigenous SSN. which is obviously more strategic then 5th gen fighter. and it seems they are moving ahead with it.

Every country prioritize strategic projects according its specific requirements. not to compete for pride. that just something naturally follows afterward.

And there are areas were they did a tremendous job.
For example, they excelled in SRBM development. which is strategic.
They have the world first SSBK. which is very impressive and strategic.
They have their tomahawk equivalent.
They have now their ALCM similar to SOM.
They have supersonic AShM.

Last edited:

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,814
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
i think you are misunderstanding south Koreas rationale behind the way they approached their strategic developments.
they didnt had any urgent need to develop engines for KFX as the supply chain is secure due to good relationship with USA.
But on the other hand, there is a plan for indigenous SSN. which is obviously more strategic then 5th gen fighter. and it seems they are moving ahead with it.

Every country prioritize strategic projects according its specific requirements. not to compete for pride.

And there are areas were they did a tremendous job.
For example, they excelled in SRBM development. which is strategic.
They have the world first SSBK. which is very impressive and strategic.
They have their tomahawk equivalent.
They have now their ALCM similar to SOM.
They have supersonic AShM.

I can not answer to all.
But you are wrong.

1. "not to compete for pride". I did not talk about pride. It is not about pride at all.
2. SRBM, SSBK is product like pride. Wars already happening. World already saw that this products are not used. They are last option.
3. S.Korea have different path, different strategy. I agree it is correct. The issue is that They saw that they missed, neglected military products and this make their strategy in question why S.Korea missed this.
4. "Every country prioritize strategic projects according its specific requirements". This is TRUE. But Also there is Fact that the most of this country is ALWAYS keep Watching WHAT other country made a product which ACTUALLY become CHANGING you own strategy priority

I will stop here

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
As others have said before, Korea and Türkiye have different geostrategic and political environment. Most importantly Koreans don‘t have political conflicts with US and many European powers. And that won’t change in the foreseeable future: no embargoes or sanctions expected (except when we field nuclear weapons there will be a grand shitstorm 🤯😅).

I respect Turkey‘s enormous rise in the military arms development and industry against many odds. Korean strategists are pretty realistic in judging scientific, technological and industrial capabilities for the future and plan accordingly when to develop indigenous (sub-)systems or procure foreign parts.

1. Drones: They didn‘t ignore drone technology. Prototypes for reconnaissance and stealth drones have flown. Male UCAV was neglected. Overall Korean drone industry is pretty good.

2. SOM: Already in development, planned delpoyment in 2028. Most important part was to obtain deep multi-penetration tech for warhead - to crack NK strategic bunkers. Besides SK has extensive experience and deployed land-, sea-, submarine launched cruise missiles. Works on hypersonic missiles are also ongoing.

3. Jet engine: Actually only a handful of nations can build high performance turbofan engines as you surely know (US, UK, France, Russia, China). Even advanced aerospace countries like Germany and Japan are struggling. Horribly expensive and risky.

4. Air defense: After KM-SAM Block II (Russian tech refined with Korean electronics/software) for multi-tier multi-layered air defense. They‘re testing long range L-SAM anti-ballistic and anti-aircraft system with AESA radar (deployment 2026). Therefore I‘m interested in Turkish Hisar/Siper project

Similar to Turkey the Koreans are working on 6,000 lbf thrust engine for loyal wingman-type stealth drones of KF-21. Hanwha Aerospace license-build GE engines (like TEI or was it Tusas?) and industrial gas turbines. Their advancements in this field are solid and government officials are totally secretive/sensitive about potential jet engine plans (not to stirr up shit with the US boys 🇺🇸).

No country is perfect when it comes to national defense planning: so far SK acted smart and performed well. The sole strategic missing link is going nuclear not only with SSN. Aircraft-carrier CVX plan IMO is an useless expensive toy of our Navy admirals. I‘m confident that our nation is on a safe way.

There‘s a future technological level assessment of a Korean think tank regarding SK and other hand-picked military powers (regrettably without assessment of Turkey, would very interested in it):
Download the PDF, it‘s in English and an interesting read.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom