Reactions
11 4,955
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Imports increased by 34.3%
Exports increased by 12.9%

But everything is fine... right? I just don't understand how people can see those official numbers and keep believing the opposite or even play down the current economic situation...

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,159
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

But everything is fine... right? I just don't understand how people can see those official numbers and keep believing the opposite or even play down the current economic situation...
Do the imports include gold?

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

The numbers are quite deceiving tbh
Most of the current increase in the import figures is due to the gas prices soaring to its highest levels in 2022 as well as the gas imports which have been soaring so that the govt can replinish its stocks! On the other hand, exports were quite healthy with Turkey entering into new markets within new continents; a decent 12.9% increase with Europe, Turkey's greatets export market, undergoing a recession is a miracle

Rn, the massive trade deficit isnt the key but the Current account. Price stability is dependent on exchange stability and this is dependent on the current account (which the trade deficit is only a part of). Last month current account deficit was only 300 million dollars and hopefully Turkey may start recording surpluses from November onwards, whose data will be released on the 11th of January

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
The numbers are quite deceiving tbh
Most of the current increase in the import figures is due to the gas prices soaring to its highest levels in 2022 as well as the gas imports which have been soaring so that the govt can replinish its stocks! On the other hand, exports were quite healthy with Turkey entering into new markets within new continents; a decent 12.9% increase with Europe, Turkey's greatets export market, undergoing a recession is a miracle

Rn, the massive trade deficit isnt the key but the Current account. Price stability is dependent on exchange stability and this is dependent on the current account (which the trade deficit is only a part of). Last month current account deficit was only 300 million dollars and hopefully Turkey may start recording surpluses from November onwards, whose data will be released on the 11th of January
This explains why the trade deficit only became a problem since 2021.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,159
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We can subtract tourism revenues and also the money paid to import gold as it is no different than money. The year 2022 is probably the last time we record a high trade deficit as the energy imports peaked and will only go down in the future considering also the new found domestic petrol and gas sources coming online.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Because it had gained unjustifiably too much before. Once the stock market hits the ceiling it comes back to where it deserves to be.
Were you not accusing me of being pessimistic about everything in Turkey when i pointed out exactly this?
So you knew and underrstood exactly what i was saying but choose to resort to assumptions, why am i not surprised?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,159
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Were you not accusing me of being pessimistic about everything in Turkey when i pointed out exactly this?
So you knew and underrstood exactly what i was saying but choose to resort to assumptions, why am i not surprised?
I don't know what you said, even if what you said has some truth in it you make it sound so biased and one sided there is no chance to get the truth across to you so I would rather pass than bother.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know what you said, even if what you said has some truth in it you make it sound so biased and one sided there is no chance to get the truth across to you so I would rather pass than bother.
So you dont remember what i said but still assume it was biased, dude, for real..

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,837
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have an other suspicion loose of BIST 100 points. Looks "handmade".

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have an other suspicion loose of BIST 100 points. Looks "handmade".
People bought cheap stocks with their dollars for short term profit, its like bitcoin, volatile markets have big up sand big downs due to short term investors.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
With regard to economic relations with foreign countries, 43 percent of Moroccans preferred stronger economic relations with Turkey, while 42 percent said they preferred strengthening them with the United States of America, and 40 percent supported strong economic relations with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The survey was conducted by 2 000 Moroccans across the kingdom.

source: assahifa

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
BIST will bounce back long-term looks promising. BIST was 2400 points in June 2022. Now it is slightly under 5000. It doubled in 6 months. All people see is the recent 800-900 point loss because people buy a stock today and want to be rich tomorrow. And people buy at a high price and expect it to go even higher. You should be buying when the stock is at a low point.

Last edited:

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
BIST will bounce back long-term looks promising. BIST was 2400 points in June 2022. Now it is slightly under 5000. It doubled in 6 months. All people see is the recent 800-9000 point loss because people buy a stock today and want to be rich tomorrow. And people buy at a high price and expect it to go even higher. You should be buying when the stock is at a low point.
Now still 4900,not low.

I bought it 2000-2300 ,mainly THY because i think after covid end THY must increase

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I want to point out that Turkey's GDP was $957.8 billion USD in 2013, which is $1,220,277,418,579.39 after adjusting it to 2023 inflation numbers. Turkey's is short $278,277,418,579 to reach its 2013 GDP numbers.

in case anyone was wondering Turkey's current GDP, according to wiki is $942 billion which is worth $739,379,084,020.39 in 2013.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,159
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The truth about GDP of Türkiye with IMF numbers. Purchasing power keeps soaring while nominal GDP stagnates, affected by the war between lira ₺ and the dollar $.

GDP_Turkiye1.png

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,159
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I guess maybe purchasing power of rich soaring but average people are getting poorer.
Based on what metric?
Türkiye is pretty much a classless society with no major divides between groups of people. The Gini index is used for a metric but it does not tell much. Numbers are rather outdated but you can check out the link below. Türkiye has 41.9 while the US has 41.1 in 2019 and 2018 respectively. I bet it is better in 2023.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom