Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I guess maybe purchasing power of rich soaring but average people are getting poorer.
These are based on official statistics such a Tüik's inflation rate which in reality is double the official numbers.
They are still trying to fool the public with fabricated numbers but reality kicks in once you visit the market again.
Türkiye is pretty much a classless society with no major divides between groups of people.
This gotta be the most delusional post i have seen of you so far, the class differences are present in every aspect of Turkish society.
If you have money your children go to better schools, you live in a gated community, you dont struggle with bills and can buy luxury articles such as cars and high end electronics, you are basically cut off from poverty that some other people experience.

How can you claim that everybody is living the same standard?

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
These are based on official statistics such a Tüik's inflation rate which in reality is double the official numbers.
They are still trying to fool the public with fabricated numbers but reality kicks in once you visit the market again.

This gotta be the most delusional post i have seen of you so far, the class differences are present in every aspect of Turkish society.
If you have money your children go to better schools, you live in a gated community, you dont struggle with bills and can buy luxury articles such as cars and high end electronics, you are basically cut off from poverty that some other people experience.

How can you claim that everybody is living the same standard?
And what classes do people belong?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Rich, poor and the more and more disappearing middle class, the former two are the growing groups.
This is the exact situation of a economically dying socieity, it has started in east asia decades ago and Turkey is following their footsteps.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Rich, poor and the more and more disappearing middle class, the former two are the growing groups.
This is the exact situation of a economically dying socieity, it has started in east asia decades ago and Turkey is following their footsteps.
They are income levels not classes.
There are no classes in Türkiye with socioeconomical separation. Anyone who saves enough money to pay for something can have it. Do you even come across to terms like ortadirek anymore, I don't. There isn't even separation between government workers and total civilians. Obviously you don't even live in Türkiye, then I will leave it here.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,198
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
THE RULING CLASS

1- Ethnicity wise:

Affluent Islamist Pontics and Sunni Kurdish tribal leadership on the AKP side
Dersim clans, local Nusayri Arabs and affluent leftist Pontics on the opposition side (especially CHP)

These people have the most opportunity. In an economy where who you know is the biggest asset, they have the best networks. Whether it's to get preferential treatment from the healthcare system or to fix an 'ihale', if you belong to one of these groups you at least know someone who knows someone.

2- Religious organization wise:

A variety of tarikats practically own the country. It doesn't matter if it's the Kedicik freaks or Menzil oozeheads, someone who belongs to a tarikat can always be found in key positions. Don't believe me? Try to find... A HSYK member without tarikat connections, for example. I mean, they exist but the list is very short.

3- Political organization wise:

Ülkü ocakları bigwigs are a thing. AKP higher-ups are basically politbureau who order police officers around. CHP municipalities are also a thing. These have access to rent money from public funds and they liberally distribute it to their friends and even to themelves.

If you are connected to at least two of the aforemented groups you are a member of the ruling class.

This is the ruling class of Turkey. If you are one of them or somehow connected to them, your problems go away easier and regular 'reaya' don't mess with you. You have safety nets other people can only dream of. Can you get away with murder? Sometimes. If the twitter mob doesn't force the courts to punish you.

-------------

THE LEECHING CLASS

Career criminals, semi-criminals like 'galerici' kekos, tax avoidants. People who do production but avoid taxes, steal electricity, exhaust public funds in some manner. People who are in the 'entertainment' industry. Beggars.

Ethnicity wise, this group is mostly Gypsies, Cono, Kurds and Syrians but some token Turks, too.

-----------------------

THE TOILING CLASS (I.E. SUCKERS I.E. POSTMODERN MARABALAR)

Ethnicity wise: Turks, basically (and Turkified others). Most of the poorer Kurds.

Soldiers, police officers, healthcare workers, all mid to low level white collar workers, teachers, all of the blue collar workers, Getir couriers, industry workers, doctors, engineers. People who are beneficial to society, basically.

------------------------

DEPENDANTS

Teyzes, emmis without assets and kids.

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
THE RULING CLASS

1- Ethnicity wise:

Dersim clans, local Nusayri Arabs and affluent leftist Pontics on the opposition side (especially CHP)

These people have the most opportunity. In an economy where who you know is the biggest asset, they have the best networks. Whether it's to get preferential treatment from the healthcare system or to fix an 'ihale', if you belong to one of these groups you at least know someone who knows someone.

A variety of tarikats practically own the country. It doesn't matter if it's the Kedicik freaks or Menzil oozeheads, someone who belongs to a tarikat can always be found in key positions. Don't believe me? Try to find... A HSYK member without tarikat connections, for example. I mean, they exist but the list is very short.

Ülkü ocakları bigwigs are a thing. AKP higher-ups are basically politbureau who order police officers around. CHP municipalities are also a thing. These have access to rent money from public funds and they liberally distribute it to their friends and even to themelves.

If you are connected to at least two of the aforemented groups you are a member of the ruling class.

This is the ruling class of Turkey. If you are one of them or somehow connected to them, your problems go away easier and regular 'reaya' don't mess with you. You have safety nets other people can only dream of. Can you get away with murder? Sometimes. If the twitter mob doesn't force the courts to punish you.

-------------

THE LEECHING CLASS

Career criminals, semi-criminals like 'galerici' kekos, tax avoidants. People who do production but avoid taxes, steal electricity, exhaust public funds in some manner. People who are in the 'entertainment' industry. Beggars.

Ethnicity wise, this group is mostly Gypsies, Cono, Kurds and Syrians but some token Turks, too.

-----------------------

Ethnicity wise: Turks, basically (and Turkified others). Most of the poorer Kurds.

Soldiers, police officers, healthcare workers, all mid to low level white collar workers, teachers, all of the blue collar workers, Getir couriers, industry workers, doctors, engineers. People who are beneficial to society, basically.

------------------------

DEPENDANTS

Oh my God....where's a tin foil hat when you need one?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
They are income levels not classes.
There are no classes in Türkiye with socioeconomical separation. Anyone who saves enough money to pay for something can have it. Do you even come across to terms like ortadirek anymore, I don't. There isn't even separation between government workers and total civilians. Obviously you don't even live in Türkiye, then I will leave it here.
By that logic almost no country has classes anymore...

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
THE RULING CLASS

1- Ethnicity wise:

-------------

THE LEECHING CLASS

-----------------------

------------------------

DEPENDANTS

These are not classes.
Ak Party got their +12mn members and 43% support by recruiting members of parliement from every group of people making up the nation. Just the other day president of the nation met up with a group of Romans in a big event. In other words a gypsy is no different than an Istanbulite gentleman in the eye of the chief of state, the government and the nation. Now where is the class.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,198
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
These are not classes.
Ak Party got their +12mn members and 43% support by recruiting members of parliement from every group of people making up the nation. Just the other day president of the nation met up with a group of Romans in a big event. In other words a gypsy is no different than an Istanbulite gentleman in the eye of the chief of state, the government and the nation. Now where is the class.
Actually, you are wrong about the definition of social classes.

"A social class is a grouping of people into a set of hierarchical social categories, the most common being the upper, middle and lower classes. Membership in a social class can for example be dependent on education, wealth, occupation, income, and belonging to a particular subculture or social network."

I studied sociology. Granted I didn't finish the school on that but I know the definition of the concept of social class.

Padişah also held Ayak Divanı. Does that make us believe that he though his viziers were equal to a lowly sipahi? Of course not. Is the Cengiz İnşaat guy in any way equal to your Getir courier? No he isn't.

I'll give you the most basic example. If I don't pay my electricity bills, the state comes and punishes me. But a large group of people steal electricity and not get punished. They get preferential treatment purely because of who they were born to. If that is not social stratification I don't know what is!

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Actually, you are wrong about the definition of social classes.

"A social class is a grouping of people into a set of hierarchical social categories, the most common being the upper, middle and lower classes. Membership in a social class can for example be dependent on education, wealth, occupation, income, and belonging to a particular subculture or social network."

I studied sociology. Granted I didn't finish the school on that but I know the definition of the concept of social class.

Padişah also held Ayak Divanı. Does that make us believe that he though his viziers were equal to a lowly sipahi? Of course not. Is the Cengiz İnşaat guy in any way equal to your Getir courier? No he isn't.

I'll give you the most basic example. If I don't pay my electricity bills, the state comes and punishes me. But a large group of people steal electricity and not get punished. They get preferential treatment purely because of who they were born to. If that is not social stratification I don't know what is!
If you define every group of people with some similarities as a class you get nowhere.
In Türkiye we do not have classes in the sense that a worker's children become workers. Or a farmer's children become farmers.

Last edited:

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,198
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you define every group of people with some similarities as a class you get nowhere.
In Türkiye we do not have classes in the sense that a worker's children becomes workers. Or a farmer's children becomes farmers.
I may not go nowhere but what you think social class is is not social class. You're thinking about some kind of hereditary caste system. I'm talking about somewhat fluid groups. Example: Kemalist bureucrat/soldiers owned the country in the 90s, but no more. Being a public servant was very socially and economically rewarding back then. Now the most rewarding ones are easy money professions like 'galericilik' or 'mütteahitlik'.

Societies change all the time. Generational shifts mean a lot in the class context.

I'll tell you the story of my social class to better illustrate the point. I'm a secular Turkish urbanite child of internal migrants (migration from rural areas). My group is overrepresented in specialized or white collar jobs and characterized by an over-emphasis on education. This class of people were THE people to be for the better part of the republican history. We are the fruit of Ataturk's dreams. Only ones who had it better were blue blood industrialists and conglomerates like Sabancı etc. The reason for this group's positioning was the economic and social history of the republic. But then Özal came, and then Tayyip came. Economy shifted in a way to benefit small-time traders and rent-seekers close to AKP. Now my class, despite being by far the most productive and positive in terms of its impact on society, is undervalued. My peers migrate out the country, a lot of them are either underpaid, overworked or both. Or simply unemployed. In the old days, my kind (class) of people could raise a decent family of about 3-4 kids, afford a couple of houses and a car with one income. Nowadays, it is damn near IMPOSSIBLE for a new graduate to achieve this standard of living in a few years. And Turkey's economy didn't get smaller, so someone's been taking our share, basically.

Seeing the new Turkish reality with a class consciousness is like discovering a new color. You can't unsee it. As patriotic people, we are used to thinking of the whole country as "ours" in some capacity. But is it? Who is allowed to take the lion's share from the distribution of social and economic power? Who lives good? Who are we not allowed to criticize? I'm not talking about non-enforced "no insulting to Ataturk" laws, I'm talking about what speech gets real reprisals.

I think this very grave situation is one of the biggest roadblocks of Turkish economy. This affects everything. A country can't just constantly sh*t on its most productive people and expect to go forward. We are going to face multiple crises because of this. Sad thing is this root cause is never going to be addressed.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I may not go nowhere but what you think social class is is not social class. You're thinking about some kind of hereditary caste system. I'm talking about somewhat fluid groups. Example: Kemalist bureucrat/soldiers owned the country in the 90s, but no more. Being a public servant was very socially and economically rewarding back then. Now the most rewarding ones are easy money professions like 'galericilik' or 'mütteahitlik'.

Societies change all the time. Generational shifts mean a lot in the class context.

I'll tell you the story of my social class to better illustrate the point. I'm a secular Turkish urbanite child of internal migrants (migration from rural areas). My group is overrepresented in specialized or white collar jobs and characterized by an over-emphasis on education. This class of people were THE people to be for the better part of the republican history. We are the fruit of Ataturk's dreams. Only ones who had it better were blue blood industrialists and conglomerates like Sabancı etc. The reason for this group's positioning was the economic and social history of the republic. But then Özal came, and then Tayyip came. Economy shifted in a way to benefit small-time traders and rent-seekers close to AKP. Now my class, despite being by far the most productive and positive in terms of its impact on society, is undervalued. My peers migrate out the country, a lot of them are either underpaid, overworked or both. Or simply unemployed. In the old days, my kind (class) of people could raise a decent family of about 3-4 kids, afford a couple of houses and a car with one income. Nowadays, it is damn near IMPOSSIBLE for a new graduate to achieve this standard of living in a few years. And Turkey's economy didn't get smaller, so someone's been taking our share, basically.

Seeing the new Turkish reality with a class consciousness is like discovering a new color. You can't unsee it. As patriotic people, we are used to thinking of the whole country as "ours" in some capacity. But is it? Who is allowed to take the lion's share from the distribution of social and economic power? Who lives good? Who are we not allowed to criticize? I'm not talking about non-enforced "no insulting to Ataturk" laws, I'm talking about what speech gets real reprisals.

I think this very grave situation is one of the biggest roadblocks of Turkish economy. This affects everything. A country can't just constantly sh*t on its most productive people and expect to go forward. We are going to face multiple crises because of this. Sad thing is this root cause is never going to be addressed.
I just made a post explaining that explains that the economy has shrunk by $278,277,418,579 since 2013.

Nilgiri

Experienced member
Aviation Specialist
Reactions
96 18,817
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India

PPP to begin with has limited utility as an estimate (based on another estimate) when you have:

- persistent double and maybe even triple digit inflation (as you have mentioned)

- imports make up a third or more of GDP (this relates to the above too by import inelasticity)

- have increasing currency swap basis (bad quality) for your forex level, which has taken a persistent decline in both quantity and quality, again related closely to above 2 points

PPP becomes an exercise then of how much inflation "sticks + drifts" to the PPP multiplier...when comparing to say other countries where these issues are not so intrinsically problematic for this long

PPP is quite a good estimate conceptually like most any other well intended estimate is, but its relevance and accuracy can be affected by crucial underlying distortions that vary from country to country too.

Nilgiri

Experienced member
Aviation Specialist
Reactions
96 18,817
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
I want to point out that Turkey's GDP was $957.8 billion USD in 2013, which is $1,220,277,418,579.39 after adjusting it to 2023 inflation numbers. Turkey's is short $278,277,418,579 to reach its 2013 GDP numbers.

in case anyone was wondering Turkey's current GDP, according to wiki is $942 billion which is worth $739,379,084,020.39 in 2013.

There is also the market cap aspect, where TR has similarly stagnated for a decade or more (its apex was somewhere between 2007 - 2012 at ~ 300 billion USD in those dollars)

It is now at ~ 240 billion USD in todays dollars.

If you pay attention to the video below, you will notice what is the main challenge in bringing funding to new startup funding in dynamic sectors where say TR holds its current strengths.

This is why its very important to manage the economy well in the end, no matter where the current strengths are in specific subsectors, it means little if you squandered economic muscle and let that atrophy...as that is what ultimately brings to bear and spreads the results to grow much larger activity in economy as whole.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
PPP to begin with has limited utility as an estimate (based on another estimate) when you have:

- persistent double and maybe even triple digit inflation (as you have mentioned)

- imports make up a third or more of GDP (this relates to the above too by import inelasticity)

- have increasing currency swap basis (bad quality) for your forex level, which has taken a persistent decline in both quantity and quality, again related closely to above 2 points

PPP becomes an exercise then of how much inflation "sticks + drifts" to the PPP multiplier...when comparing to say other countries where these issues are not so intrinsically problematic for this long

PPP is quite a good estimate conceptually like most any other well intended estimate is, but its relevance and accuracy can be affected by crucial underlying distortions that vary from country to country too.
If we look at the list following comes to light:

23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
Turkey *
Asia38,759

So you want to tell me a Japanese with his salary can afford only slightly more stuff than a Turk? Just a comparison of the prices of cars, electronics, energy and even basic stuff such as meat will tell you this metrics is bullshit.
I dont even mention Switzerland, believing this chart a Turk with average salary should be able to afford about half of the stuff of a Swiss, i have been Turkey last April, that is NOT the case at all, if anything then it is about a factor of 10, and i am being generous here.

The problem lies in accuracy of the statistics, Swiss and Japanese statistics are for sure much more accurate than Turkish ones which are known to be doctored.
Do not trust any statistics you did not fake yourself.

Nilgiri

Experienced member
Aviation Specialist
Reactions
96 18,817
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India

So you want to tell me a Japanese with his salary can afford only slightly more stuff than a Turk? Just a comparison of the prices of cars, electronics, energy and even basic stuff such as meat will tell you this metrics is bullshit.
I dont even mention Switzerland, believing this chart a Turk with average salary should be able to afford about half of the stuff of a Swiss, i have been Turkey last April, that is NOT the case at all, if anything then it is about a factor of 10, and i am being generous here.

The problem lies in accuracy of the statistics, Swiss and Japanese statistics are for sure much more accurate than Turkish ones which are known to be doctored.

I can tell you why too.

Data pertaining to the PPP multiplier is only sampled once every 3 or so years by the ICP study....in best case scenario schedule.

This means effectively 6 year lag (now evolving into a 9 year lag given covid) as it takes another 3 years to prepare that data into the ICP matrix for use in PPP.

i.e we are only slowly bringing in ICP 2017 matrix for use in the chunk of "10 years" .

A lot of relatively recent PPP-based studies (for say better international poverty comparisons) are even published in or still use 2011 ICP still.

So countries with say high inflation in the resolutions within these suffer in their PPP applicability more than others.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,023
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I just tell you the Japanese car and electronic goods are cheap

But the food ,traffic fee,service very expensive

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom