Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,680
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Earthquake happened twice within 6 hours, I think it's about that. Plus you have buildings that didn't collapse instantly, and one story homes which would probably cause injuries rather than deaths.
Good point

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Earthquake doesn't kill faulty buildings do.

If a whole city is erased (Antakya), blaming the quake alone is a farse

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,283
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Central Bank Governor Erkan requested her pardon from duty

I was thinking to post this in the meme thread.
How many got changed until now?

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

This is bad, I hope the next one will be sane too. In Simseks influence we trust, or we have to trust.

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,283
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Fatih Karahan became the new Central Bank President

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,906
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Past CB governors and their terms in office

(in months)

GFWwqf0XoAAkBNx

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,680
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

The first statement is in English lol, Simsek is panicking about foreigners.

Scott Summers

Committed member
Reactions
2 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
"A major reputation assassination campaign has recently been organized against me," Erkan said in her statement, referring to recent defamation campaign launched against her on social media.

She added that she was stepping down "in order to prevent my family and my innocent child, who is not even one-and-a-half years old, from being further affected by this process."

She thanked President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and expressed her gratitude for his support during her term.

On Wednesday, Erdoğan decried efforts to spread "rumors" meant to undermine economic progress, in an apparent endorsement of Erkan, who had criticized a recent press report about her family.

"When the central bank's reserves reached a record-breaking $145.5 billion, they took immediate action. They launched campaigns to disrupt the climate of confidence and stability in our economy with unreasonable rumors, which could undermine the progress we have made," Erdoğan said.

He did not specify the rumors nor reference Erkan directly, though earlier in the speech he cited "opposition" efforts to criticize the government and economy.

Scott Summers

Committed member
Reactions
2 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think she really quit because of X and heir family. Nothing to do with Erdogan or AKP.

The new director Governor will work on the same path that Mehmet Şimşek has in mind.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Türkiye's annual inflation rate climbed to nearly 65% in January official data showed Monday, fueled by a rise in minimum monthly wages and surging prices in hotels, cafes and restaurants, maintaining pressure for a tight monetary policy.

Scott Summers

Committed member
Reactions
2 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Indonesia invites investment in tuna cultivation from Turkey​

February 5, 2024 20:00 GMT+700
Indonesia invites investment in tuna cultivation from Turkey

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Sakti Wahyu Trenggono informed on Monday that his ministry has invited Turkey to invest in Indonesia's tuna cultivation sector.

"I went to Izmir, Turkey, to see tuna farming and cultivation. Indonesia's tuna catch has reached 334 thousand tons per year, but they cannot be cultivated yet, so we have invited Turkey to invest in Indonesia,"
he said here.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
According to data from TurkStat released on Monday, Türkiye's population increased by 92,824 compared to the previous year, reaching 85.37 million in 2023.

Scott Summers

Committed member
Reactions
2 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
According to data from TurkStat released on Monday, Türkiye's population increased by 92,824 compared to the previous year, reaching 85.37 million in 2023.

85 million people.

That means 85 million consumers, eating and drinking everyday.

No wonder our economy is overheated.

Baklava Consumer

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Without the rule of law, separation of powers, fundamental rights/freedoms, and democracy nothing good will happen in this economy.
You can bring the most qualified economists in the world from MIT and Harvard they still wouldn't be able to fix the Turkish economy.

I'm hoping the new constitution will bring about some change, although lots of people are skeptical, and doubt anything good happening, I disagree.

Erdogan will not run in 2028, so AKP's trump card will be gone, there is no clear candidate for the throne, on the other hand, the opposition has good candidates like Imamoglu and Yavas, with a real possibility of winning in 2028.

The current constitution gives too much power to the executive, is undemocratic, and courts are not impartial. There is no rule of law.
The reason why AKP is currently pushing for a new constitution is to protect themselves after Erdogan is gone, they are worried the likes of Imamoglu will become authoritarian and use the current constitution against them.

Although Erdogan has managed to maintain 50% votes in presidential elections, AKP keeps losing votes in parliamentary elections, this new constitution is preparing for when the castle walls are breached. Let's hope good things come out of this new constitution.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,709
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After the local elections, AKP might launch another peace process to push this "new" constitution. The new constitution shenanigans are mostly pushed to give Erdogan another 2-3 terms as president.

Last edited:

Baklava Consumer

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After the local elections, AKP might launch another peace process to push this "new" constitution. The new constitution shenanigans are meanly pushed to give Erdogan another 2-3 terms as president.
You're crazy and out of touch, if you think that Erdogan will go for another "2-3 terms". He's 70 years old and his health is deteriorating.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
https://idsb.tmgrup.com.tr/ly/uploads/images/2024/02/13/314792.jpg

Türkiye saw foreign direct investments (FDI) exceed $10 billion (TL 307.23 billion) throughout 2023, a senior official said Tuesday, stressing indicators that signal the inflow would gain greater momentum this year.
The FDI volume in Türkiye reached $10.6 billion last year, said Burak Dağlıoğlu, the head of the Presidency's Investment Office, charged with encouraging businesses to invest in Türkiye, citing the data published by the country's central bank.

Top Bottom