what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,039
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Good initiative this and the modernization of the irrigation systems.

Now if we could teach the citizens and farmers to safe water too that would be nice. No more hose on the field in the morning, water on and off in the evening.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,725
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

Solar panels may be installed on lakes to reduce evaporation​

BURDUR​

Solar panels may be installed on lakes to reduce evaporation

Turkish authorities are planning to install solar panels on lakes and dams to prevent evaporation as some of the major lakes in Anatolia are under the threat of drought due to reduced precipitation levels resulting from global warming.

The Agriculture Ministry as well as the General Directorate of State Hydraulic Works (DSİ) are chalking out plans to save the country’s water resources, as soaring temperatures have aggravated not only evaporation and led to insufficient precipitation but is affecting both agriculture and human life.

Determining that unconscious use of water resources, wrong irrigation and drainage practices, as well as evaporation, cause serious water loss, authorities prepared a four-option project in line with a program centered on Lake Burdur in Turkey’s southwest.

Four pools were created on Lake Burdur, one with shade balls and the other with floating solar panels. One of them was chosen as a control pool, and a mixture containing chemical substances, defined as a monolayer, was placed in the last one.

Precise measurements made as a result of the three-year study revealed some pleasing findings.

Evaporation was inhibited by 10.8 percent in the monolayer, 67 percent in the pool with shade balls, and 54 percent in the pool with solar panels, compared to the control pool.

However, the study noted that although shade balls helped in saving water significantly, the treatment plants have to be raised to a higher standard if used as drinking water sources, requiring serious financial resources and investments.

Emerged as a result of the examination of the floating solar panels, the findings revealed that the organic matter phthalates were transferred to the water in large quantities.

The panels should not be installed on the surface of drinking water sources, but there is no harm in installing them on irrigation water or recreational areas, experts noted.

For this purpose, a feasibility study was conducted for the 14-square-kilometer surface of Lake Burdur. It was concluded that when the surface of the lake is covered with solar energy panels, it led to 5.2 million cubic meters of less evaporation than would normally occur, thanks to the panels.

According to the energy production system implementation calculations, annual electricity production of 2.4 gigawatts and an income of 2.8 billion Turkish Liras ($331 million) were calculated.

If the ministry expands the pilot project, floating solar panels will be installed on 200 natural lakes, 822 dams and 507 ponds that are not used for drinking water.

This initiative aims to reduce the effects of water loss and drought as well as to generate billions of liras worth of electricity.

Global climate change is the main culprit in the drought that has hit the already arid water resources in Anatolia hard. Lakes shrink day by day, posing a considerable threat to agricultural irrigation.

When will they begin installing solar panels in huge quantities?

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
When will they begin installing solar panels in huge quantities?
I am not sure when it'll begin, but IMO another solution should be looked upon at the end point of rivers that run into Sea. If we have exessive elecricity to use pump water through pipelines to lakes and such. (of course should be run through treatement facilities first).

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey

Turkey to modernize irrigation system, farming to save water​

ANKARA​

Turkey to modernize irrigation system, farming to save water

Turkey is aiming to modernize its irrigation systems and agriculture in line with the country’s water policy, said the country's forestry and agriculture minister on Sept. 14.

Water use in agriculture is being rearranged in order to reduce the negative effects of climate change and drought, a statement from the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry quoted Bekir Pakdemirli as saying.

Keeping in view insufficient groundwater and water constraints, the ministry took measures to promote crops with low water consumption, replacing crops with high water consumption, such as corn.

"Taking into account climate change and drought conditions, we have accelerated our efforts to promote water-saving modern irrigation systems," said Pakdemirli.

Models are being created to reduce groundwater use and increase the production of plants that consume less water, the minister underlined, adding products that are suitable for the climatic conditions of the regions and consume less water will be encouraged.

“With the completion of important infrastructure works in irrigation, such as in-field development services, and a transition to closed irrigation systems, a very high level of saving will be achieved in irrigation water, he said.

“Irrigation management technologies for the effective use of water in agriculture will be given priority in the future. The more we prioritize technology and innovation, the faster we will secure our future,” he concluded.

I really hope this'll work and improve water usage.
Well, as long as it doesnt end up like earthquake modernization...

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, as long as it doesnt end up like earthquake modernization...
I heard that the above ground waterways are being changed because the water evaporation is too much. So the water may be transported underground instead, it's more expensive but the water evaporation should be eliminated.

I think the end of the river where the water runs into the sea should be utilized and the water should be collected/redirected where possible.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the end of the river where the water runs into the sea should be utilized and the water should be collected/redirected where possible.
This is a major interference into ecological system.$
Look up history of aral sea, soviets diverted the rivers feeding it which brought prosperity in short term but not the countries in central asia are suffering long term consequences now.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

4 burned the forest expression left mouths open​

Semih Kuloğlu (31), who set fire to 3 places in the Sorgun forest, around which there are 5-star hotels, in the Manavgat district of Antalya, and was caught while he was setting fire to the 4th, was arrested on the charge of 'deliberately burning a forest'. His expression left their mouths open.​

19 September 2021 19:17Updated: September 19, 2021 19:32

4 burned the forest expression left mouths open

At the Titreyengöl Tourism Center of Manavgat, teams were sent to the region after seeing the smoke rising from the 350-hectare Sorgun forest, which has 404 plant and 223 wildlife species, 30 tourism facilities and 18 thousand beds, at around 09.00 yesterday. In addition to the fire fighting helicopter, Manavgat Forestry Operations Directorate and Antalya Metropolitan Municipality Fire Department intervened in the flames. While the teams were intervening in the burning area, 2 more fires broke out in a row.

Caught in crime​

Forest officers and gendarmerie teams conducting research in the forest caught the person who was trying to start a fire at the 4th point red-handed. While Semih Kuloğlu, who was taken into custody, was taken to the gendarmerie vehicle, the people around also reacted. Semih Kuloğlu, "Why are you burning here?" He replied, "I am burning my house". Kuloğlu, whom the crowd attempted to lynch, was put in the gendarmerie vehicle and taken to the police station.

'My PURPOSE WAS ATTENTION'​

In Semih Kuloğlu's statement, “After my house burned down on September 1, I started staying outside. I have been living in Sorgun pine grove for a week. On September 14, I lit a fire to warm up at night and did not put out the fire until noon. I left the fire without putting it out. From there, I went to the district governor's office and said that my house was on fire and I was going out of the city, and I received 200 TL of help. With this money, I went to Ankara and stayed for three days.

Then I took the ticket money from the Ankara Governor's Office and came to Manavgat and returned to the Sorgun pine grove. I spent the night again in Sorgun pine grove. Since I couldn't get help even though my house was on fire, I started a fire with a lighter to draw attention and ran away. My aim was to make my voice heard and draw attention.”

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Environmentalist artist’s house ‘suspiciously’ burned to ashes​

TRABZON​

Environmentalist artist’s house ‘suspiciously’ burned to ashes

The house of a prominent environmentalist who creates awareness about nature with her critical paintings has been burned down in the Black Sea province of Trabzon just hours before she attended a press conference against cultural fishing, bringing the possibility of attempted arson in mind.

“I can re-erect my burned house, but when we lose the sea, it’s irreversible,” 37-year-old artist Gökçe Erhan said in tears while reading the press release, blaming the cultural fishing for the destruction of the marine ecosystem.

A fire broke out late on Oct. 23 in Erhan’s two-story house in the Sürmene district’s Gökçesu neighborhood. The cause of the fire is unknown.

Erhan evacuated the house where she lived alone and called the firefighters to extinguish the fire.

Despite the massive efforts, the house was reduced to ashes, with all her paintings.

As the gendarmerie units got suspicious of this fastly spreading fire, which broke out just hours before a press conference the environmentalist was going to attend, they started an investigation into the matter.

“I heard some voices behind the house before the fire,” Erhan told the security units.

After a while, I saw flames and light smoke rising. I went outside and saw that the fire was spreading at the back of the house,” she added.

After losing her house, contrary to expectations, she participated in the press conference conducted by the Çamburnu Nature, Culture and Arts Society.

“Culture fishing damages the marine ecosystem, and we strongly oppose the establishment of aquaculture plants here,” Erhan said at the beginning of the press conference.

“Since the small fish caught in the seas will be used as bait in the farms, the small sea fish will be extinct and the anchovy culture will be threatened,” she added.

“This project will influence local fishermen negatively and lead to visual pollution. No one can confine Çamburnu in a cage,” she said.

Talking about her burned house, she could not hold back her tears and spoke in a quavering voice, saying, “I lost an ancestral house which I can rebuild again. But when we lose the sea, it is irreversible.”

Villagers tried to calm down the environmentalist as she lost control of her emotions.

Erhan, who lived and opened exhibitions in Istanbul, London and Munich for years, returned to her hometown previously and started campaigning to save nature.

Her latest protest was setting an exhibition on the wasteyard of Çamburnu to create awareness on the local municipality’s method of garbage collecting which is said to damage the environment.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,951
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Marmaris is burning since yesterday, until now i didn't even saw one fire fighting plane footage, atleast they ordered three privat business jets only for Ministry of Transport, hmdl.
Local fire fighters and people desperately try to stop the flames.
1655906976034.png

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Marmaris is burning since yesterday, until now i didn't even saw one fire fighting plane footage, atleast they ordered three privat business jets only for Ministry of Transport, hmdl.
Local fire fighters and people desperately try to stop the flames.
View attachment 45193
Didn’t HDN just have an article about firefighter planes having been restored.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Does anyone know if this kind of planting proces is done in Turkey ?

I remember sharing it once before. But from last years fires to now I was expecting some kind of news on the replanting process

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom