DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,504
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
From an outsider perspective, i would say Türkiye should be out of this.

Becuase there is an inherent aspect of it that implies, on these matters of 'human rights', etc, your own law, judiciary is not good enough and not trusted compared to that of European court. Thus, you have to play by their rules and definitions.

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,679
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
From an outsider perspective, i would say Türkiye should be out of this.

Becuase there is an inherent aspect of it that implies, on these matters of 'human rights', etc, your own law, judiciary is not good enough and not trusted compared to that of European court. Thus, you have to play by their rules and definitions.

The idea of the European court is that when the courts of your own country are not working as they should according to local laws, you can apply to the European court. Members have agreed that the European court rulings overrule the judges in your courts.

From the data, it shows more Turkish citizens have been applying to the European court than say, Russian citizens or citizens of any other country.

It shows there is a big problem. Either many citizens disagree with the local courts or many courts do not follow the law in the local country and thus encourage citizens to apply at the European court for justice.

It is not a good look but I am sure Fahrettin Altun will spin something.

I find it really strange the AKP makes statements about wanting to join the EU but the EU not letting them when even basic institutions are not aligned which are a huge barrier. It's almost like they expect the public not to understand the misalignment or all the closed chapters of accession, so when the EU says "no", they can say "See, the west is against Türkiye" for votes and support from the public. Right or wrong, you can see how this approach was used to smear the CHP for being more pro-europe.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,629
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I try to take a cool headed approach to this but this:
There is nothing in the bilateral agreement that would stop Russia from exploiting the port for military purposes either
is a bullshit of the highest order. That's not how any of this works.

Not to mention İncirlik AFB being 200kms away, while Ceyhan is 230.

Why is she going the "Russia is getting a new foothold in the Med" card on this is beyond me. None of this is new. Agreement regarding Akkuyu is nothing new, it was literally signed 13 years ago.

Akkuyu is build, own, operate. This is how it was envisaged in the first place. It's a Russian NPP paid for, built by and will be operated by Russians, this has never changed. Advantage of this is that Turkey didn't spend a single lira in its 22+ billion dollar build costs. Its rods will be brought from Russia and its waste will be returned back to Russia. Turkey will pay for it in the coming decades by buying the energy it creates. It will be plugged to the Turkish network and it will move through Turkish network, so any energy Russia exports to except Turkey, will also move through Turkish network.

Only thing that could hold some water would be if American sanctions on Rosatom to be enlarged and affect us paying for the energy we buy. This is not yet a thing, not clear if it will be a thing in the future as well but other options on payments should be taken into account.

"Companies in Turkey" were either Russian owned or some small time traders being caught in the whirlwind, doesn't really translate to this. I haven't seen anything from Americans regarding Akkuyu yet.

Last edited:

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,679
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Why is she going the "Russia is getting a new foothold in the Med" card on this is beyond me. None of this is new. Agreement regarding Akkuyu is nothing new, it was literally signed 13 years ago.

Akkuyu is build, own, operate. This is how it was envisaged in the first place. It's a Russian NPP paid for, built by and will be operated by Russians, this has never changed. Advantage of this is that Turkey didn't spend a single lira in its 22+ billion dollar build costs. Its rods will be brought from Russia and its waste will be returned back to Russia. Turkey will pay for it in the coming decades by buying the energy it creates. It will be plugged to the Turkish network and it will move through Turkish network, so any energy Russia exports to except Turkey, will also move through Turkish network.

Only thing that could hold some water would be if American sanctions on Rosatom to be enlarged and affect us paying for the energy we buy. This is not yet a thing, not clear if it will be a thing in the future as well but other options on payments should be taken into account.

"Companies in Turkey" were either Russian owned or some small time traders being caught in the whirlwind, doesn't really translate to this. I haven't seen anything from Americans regarding Akkuyu yet.

Yeah, this just seems extremely unlikely that Russia would just be given a port

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,629
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yeah, this just seems extremely unlikely that Russia would just be given a port
Rosatom or one of its subsidiaries will operate the port that was built near the NPP. That port has been used to carry cargo for the build and will be used to carry fuel from and waste back to Russia.

1696448319554.png

Saying it could be used for military purposes is akin to a Greek businessman renting out a yard in Muğla and then allowing Greek army to operate out of, inside Turkey. It simply doesn't work that way. Some pundits are either missing the extent of the Turkish Russian power dynamic thinking it will be like China and Sri Lanka or have other agenda.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,504
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
1696506296308.png

@Ryder Erdogan has nailed the day with Elon Musk.🤣

No Name

Reactions
5 318
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

Does Türkiye get any technology transfer from this project? if not then this entire thing has no benefits for Türkiye since the power plant will not help Türkiye become energy-independent.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,629
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Does Türkiye get any technology transfer from this project? if not then this entire thing has no benefits for Türkiye since the power plant will not help Türkiye become energy-independent.
Said it before i think recently, Turkey doesn't get any nuclear tech from this deal. Hopefully the deal in question will be made with RR regarding small reactors or SMRs.

Akkuyu NPP's raison d'etre if you will is supplying Turkey with electricity. If it doesn't operate, it's just a 25bn $ sunk cost for Russia, nothing else. It will give leverage to Russia over Turkey but it will also give leverage to Turkey over Russia and will make the two countries be more intertwined in the coming decades.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,683
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Former US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Senator Bob Menendez, who was known for his hostility towards Turks, did not allow the sale of F-16s to Turkiye, and engaged in various lobbying activities against Turkiye, was accused by the Manhattan Grand Jury of being an agent for foreign states.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,631
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Former US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Senator Bob Menendez, who was known for his hostility towards Turks, did not allow the sale of F-16s to Turkiye, and engaged in various lobbying activities against Turkiye, was accused by the Manhattan Grand Jury of being an agent for foreign states.

Rest in piss. Won't be missed.

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,679
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

The Commission helps to shape the EU's overall strategy, proposes new EU laws and policies, monitors their implementation and manages the EU budget. It also plays a significant role in supporting international development and delivering aid. It also speaks on behalf of all EU countries in international bodies, in particular in areas of trade policy and humanitarian aid and negotiates international agreements for the EU

Also greek

fushkee

Committed member
Reactions
4 214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Its so ironic and reminds me of memories that we've been through so far.
We are forced to choose a side. Either you're my side or aside!
Turkiye does not have to choose a side. To me, she should go in her own way what it requires... We need to make it accept that to the rest of the world. We should express ourselves.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,094
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

The Commission helps to shape the EU's overall strategy, proposes new EU laws and policies, monitors their implementation and manages the EU budget. It also plays a significant role in supporting international development and delivering aid. It also speaks on behalf of all EU countries in international bodies, in particular in areas of trade policy and humanitarian aid and negotiates international agreements for the EU

Also greek

They can fck off.

Turkiye chooses its own destiny.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom