Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,049
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Frankly for me the real test of moderation is how you deal with posters who hold minority views or who do not follow the herd. There is thin line between culling free thinking and what might be interpreted as trolling. This calls for very subtle, deft and nuanced application of moderation powers. It's easy to deal with members who are abusive. But use that power crudely you endanger killing differant views. You want a forum to be fresh, a crucible of ideas, where crazy as they may be, collide and in that fermant new ideas take root.

At PDF I went from being hero to zero precisely because my views were not iun sync with a section [very loud] of PDF. They never addressed the points I raisied but instead tried to muff me with calls of "racist". They played the man and not the ball. But in doing so they used their moderation powers to extend a certain narrative that I disagreed with. That is what caused my problems with admin there. I hope that does not happen here. I would love to contribute here. At my age [58] I have seen much, seen lot of the world and done plenty. I am not military person. My professional background is in law. But i have deep interest in politics and the world around us. Since militaries play a large role in the making of the world order they do interest me in a more strategic sense rather then the trinkets and toys.

At any you can expect I have plenty to talk and also am quite hardened in my opinions. You might even call me a dinosaur.

As long as those minority views aren't in favour of terrorism then it's all good.

I agree that abuse of power is the worst thing that can happen to this forum. It's good that the moderators agreed on being open minded early on in the forum's development. The decision to make this an international forum shaped our moderation philosophy.

I look forward to hearing your ideas and opinions, even if I don't agree with them. :) (y)

Some of the best conversations I've ever had was with someone with completely different political views than mine. It wasn't the difference itself that made it interesting, but when both our views were the same on a particular topic. We both wanted the same thing for our country, but our idea of how that's supposed to be achieved was different. It made for some very interesting conversations. In fact we both failed that class because we wouldn't stop talking. Debating is always better then a boring convo with people who share the exact same opinions.

KKF 2.0

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hello everybody, Kaptaan reporting otherwise known as Indus Pakistan on PDF. Joined at the suggestion of Yankeestani. If this forum gives me space to throw out my ideas I will make this my platform of choice. I have been member of PDF for nearly a decade now but entirely disillusioned by their bias for certain ethnic group.

By the way I was recently in Istanbul, Turkey for 5 days, then covered Athens, Greece finishing off with week in Crete and stayed near a small town called Tym-Paki ......
Welcome to Defence Hub, old friend.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Because of some problems some turkish members have had? Its still our second home.
Some problems?
You know nothing.
Why do you think we opened this forum?
Did you know those mofos banned most(90%) of us Turks because we didnt take their bs?
It doesnt show us banned but we are.
PDF means nothing to us,its a kindergarden.
If you think its your second home,then good for you but your ''second home'' wont last long.
Turkish delight coming their way.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,851
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some problems?
You know nothing.
Why do you think we opened this forum?
Did you know those mofos banned most(90%) of us Turks because we didnt take their bs?
It doesnt show us banned but we are.
PDF means nothing to us,its kindergarden.
If you think its your second home,then good for you but your ''second home'' wont last long.
Turkish delight coming their way.

I know everything. More than10 years, as an active member. We spend many good years on PDF. Even you. But some members really deserved it, to be banned. Anyway, now we are home.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
@Kaptaan Hello Kaptaan sahib, it's been a while. How have you been?
Good my friend. Good. I hope to make this my 'home'. Sick of PDF and their muzzling my views by banning me all the time - this after the enormous contribution I made to the forum. So I hope I can help to build up a mini-PDF in the Pakistan section.

Cobra Arbok

Reactions
Good my friend. Good. I hope to make this my 'home'. Sick of PDF and their muzzling my views by banning me all the time - this after the enormous contribution I made to the forum. So I hope I can help to build up a mini-PDF in the Pakistan section.
They sure love using words you invented though!

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey

Feel free to write. Pakistan section needs your supports.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Feel free to write. Pakistan section needs your supports.
I will. Give me time. I am not into infantile rubbish. I can write seriuos pieces. History, politics, geography. And my 'perspective' is nopt from some mullah teaching, or cheap Pakistan propaganda books but result of lifetime of reading as a person of Pakistan origin but looking at things from British prism. Sort of mash up of both traditions.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom