TR Land Vehicle Programs

somegoodusername

Reactions
1 168
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will be great when we order 100 more. I'm thinking 27 vehicles is just a battalion's worth. We now have 3 marine brigades.
How does our marine brigade structure looks like?

1726939055419.png

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,792
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Mate that makes zero sense. Roketsan is not going to make a new turret just for T-72 upgrades and they cannot just shave off 5 tons from the existing turret while adding armour.

Edit: Here is a news article about it from last year:

ROKETSAN offers the MZK turret solution, which provides higher protection, fire control performance and situational awareness for the M60A3 and T-72 main battle tanks. Lighter than existing turrets (the T-72 turret weighs 18 tons, while the M60A3 turret weighs 14.5 tons), the 13-ton MZK provides increased protection against RPG, anti-tank, APFSDS ammunition and up to 30mm automatic cannon ammunition.

as i know, armor made of boron is very light. if they can make body armor with the same protection but decrease the weight from 3-4 kg to 1kg, why not to do in a Tank Turret?
hydrolic also wights a lot, which probably used here is electrical for turning the turret

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,792
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
-Bro in fact as we know KAPLAN is tailor made for the customer while a specific enivornment in mind (30 ton) ... we may never need KAPLAN class tanks.

-Yet there is a sizable market for wheeled and tracked light tanks I totally agree that at least we have to have several options and with indigenous turret(s)

-M60A3 can easly be considered a medium tank (eventhough it is kind of an old terminology) around (50 ton) I dont know why I am writing this

- However in abroad for ROKETSAN MZK 15.000 M60 and 25.000 T 72 may provide better opportunities... in addition to known domestic need most probably that is why the focus was on MZK first
you miss the huge opportunity here.. with the Thermal camras detecting Tanks from far away(TB2 is able to detect from 80km away according to officials), you need Hybrid tanks. as FNSS is ready for 20 ton class hybrid vehicle, if they work with 600hp BMC engine Azra to make a hybrid engine for kaplan tanks, thats the best tank out there. no heat signature(as the engine is behind, you can easily fit it there as the engine is not fitted just on one side of vehicle in the front and driver seat on the other side like Tulpar.
Kaplan could make huge export in the future with Hybrid engine and 105mm gun.
on the other hand, Hybrid engine will be used in E-Firtina, 1300hp, 10000 tork, i believe will be used to upgrade 800 m60 tanks with MZK turret, which means Turkey will get higher protection and no heat signature and very modern tank.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
12 3,296
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
as i know, armor made of boron is very light. if they can make body armor with the same protection but decrease the weight from 3-4 kg to 1kg, why not to do in a Tank Turret?
hydrolic also wights a lot, which probably used here is electrical for turning the turret
As I said Roketsan is not going to build and does not have another turret for T-72 and you just can't take 5 tons off the existing turret like that while also adding extra protection.

Not to mention, they also mentioned it is for T-72 and their upgrade for T-72 includes MZK if you look at the catalogue I'll link down below:

On the 12th page, it states:

T-72 Next Generation

T-72 tanks are carried one step forward by the integration ROKETSAN MZK Turret System. The tank achieves completely modern protection and fire power without increasing the weight of the system. Key aspects are summarized below

And here is the diagram, which I shared before, on the 13th page:

t72.JPG

They didn't make 5 tons magically disappear, they changed the turret in the full upgrade package. Main reason I shared that in the first place was to show the protection level of MZK as we were talking about Cockrell and MZK, which can be seen here (in comparison to old T-72 turret):

mzk.JPG

And, here is what Roketsan also writes in the document you can reach from its English website right now:

MODULAR ARMORED TOWER (MAT) Designed for tank modernization projects, the MAT system provides the highest survivability level with the lowest system weight. In addition, thanks to the low-recoil 105mm main gun system and automatic loader system developed by Roketsan, it is compatible with tactical wheeled and tracked armored platforms and has much higher protection than its counterparts.

Last edited:

somegoodusername

Reactions
1 168
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is it with the Brits sweetening 7p with Turkiye can anybody tell me. First BAE provided engineers to TAI for Kaan now this.
Because we are good allies since 1930's to this day? There hasn't been a major issue between Turkey and UK. Most of the issues among us are the ones the US put between us.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
12 3,296
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is it with the Brits sweetening 7p with Turkiye can anybody tell me. First BAE provided engineers to TAI for Kaan now this.
Brexit. When Tories fucked the economy in the ass with the stupidest economical move ever, UK had to renegotiate all of its deals it hadn't in decades and had to look to increase its trade in all sectors with countries out of EU. And while it may not feel like it to the ordinary people, we are (or at least were last time I looked) one of the top 20 largest economies on the planet.

Defence contracts are always lucrative, create a long lasting partnerships and defence jobs are usually high paying jobs. If UK convinced Germany to sell us Eurofighters, for example, their of factories won't have to face the threat of shutting down by the end of the decade. When they opened this factory, they created jobs, brought in tax money and export opportunities.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
69 9,319
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish Roketsan modestly informs on its website that the MZK 105 tank turret revealed over a year ago has undergone further development and has now received the designation MAT /Modular Armored Turret/. What is more interesting, with the 105mm low recoil gun and probably without ERA armor compared to the MZK 105, it will be able to be installed on armored wheeled platforms. The MZK 105 had a mass of 13 tonnes, so the MAT 105 will have to be much lighter if Roketsan plans to offer it for wheeled traction vehicles.

Tower? Horrible translation.

Top Bottom