Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_00-800x534.jpg

FNSS Shadow Rider UGV: from tele-operation to autonomy​

FNSS, the joint venture between the Nurol Group and BAE Systems, has been working since 2018 on unmanned ground vehicles, its Shadow Rider, Gölge Süvari in Turkish language, being exhibited at IDEF 2019. To carry out its R&D programme FNSS chose a low-cost platform, an old M113, which makes a contrast with the modern solutions adopted to make it an unmanned and autonomous vehicle; the choice of such a platform will also allow developing a family of heavy UGVs that might well be expendable, which should be an inherent element when talking of unmanned as these are used in high risk areas, avoiding putting at risk human lives. The choice of a fully mechanical system did not simplify the task when interfaces between autonomy elements and mechanical commands must be built.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_01.jpg

While at IDEF 2019 the Shadow Rider was exhibited as a tele-operated vehicle, at IDEF 2021 the system had considerably evolved in terms of autonomous capabilities. Return to home, obstacle detection avoidance, human recognition should dismounts operate around it, all those features were developed and added to the Gölge Süvari in its 2021 declination.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_04.jpg

The front sensors suite

“For obstacle detection we have equipped the vehicle with five LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging), four 32-channel sensors at the four corners of the M113 and one 64-channel at the front, where we also find two stereo cameras for operating in emergency, while a 360° situational awareness suite provides all-round vision as a safety measure,” Burak Saģ, Business Development Manager Combat and Special Purpose Vehicles tells EDR On-Line. Driving is the only autonomous operation carried out by the vehicle, which in its new variant was fitted with an unmanned turret armed with a 25 mm cannon; any firing operation obviously involving a man-in-the-loop.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_03.jpg

One of the corner LIDAR

The link with the operator is ensured by a two-channel system, tactical radios or commercial 5G being available. The platform is equipped with inertial and satellite navigation systems, the current autonomous suite providing waypoint navigation and patrol capabilities, as well as a leader-follower option in GNSS-denied scenarios. To this end the Shadow Rider is fitted with a TUALCOM GPS antenna that ensures protection against multiple jamming, based on CRPA (Controlled Reception Pattern Antenna) technology. “We are currently focusing on verification and qualification of our system,” Mr. Saģ explains, adding that FNSS is about to sign a contract with the Turkish Presidency of Defence Industries (SSB), the latest details being currently worked out with the aim of a signature by late 2021, early 2022. Turkish Land Forces categorise UGVs in heavy, over 10 tonnes, medium, between 2 and 10 tonnes, and light, under 2 tonnes, FNSS being obviously involved in the heavier category. The Shadow Rider is offered in many variants, fire support and surveillance, either with a 25 mm or a 12.7 mm remotely controlled weapon system, as a rotary wing drone UGV or loitering munition UGV, fitted with multiple rounds canisters, reconnaissance and surveillance with a mast mounted sensor suite, obstacle clearing, with a dozer blade and a digger, and in different mine-clearing options fitted either with a breaching system, a dozer blade for surface laid mines, or roller.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_02.jpg

The all-round LIDAR bird-view

At IDEF 2021 it was possible to observe a simulated mission in which the FNSS UGV was carrying out the identification of a ground environment, its sensors being used not only for navigating but also for mapping the ground and identifying potential obstacles, which is leading to a dynamic obstacle avoidance capability, currently at TRL 4 but which should evolve into a technological demonstrator by year end, to be delivered to customer within 2022 to get users’ feedback. This would considerably enhance the system autonomy. A two console system was exhibited, one being the operators control seat, which allowed eventually the operator to take over bringing back the system to tele-operation, while the second showed the data provided by the autonomy suite. The screen was subdivided into five areas. The left main windows on top was devoted to show the computer-generated top-view based on signals obtained by all LIDAR sensors, while on the right we could see the view provided by the 64-channel front LIDAR. Three smaller windows were visible at the screen bottom showing from left to right the day view provided by stereo cameras, a fisheye view based on all LIDARs, and the thermal stereo view.

The M113 used as a platform for the Shadow Rider is fitted with a diesel engine, has a range in excess of 450 km, can reach a speed of over 50 km/h on road, with typical M113 obstacle crossing capability, and has a 4,500 kg payload. The R&D effort undertaken by FNSS might well migrate towards optionally-piloted vehicles based on the company vehicles portfolio, something that should be relatively easy to do as many of the most recent vehicles being less mechanic and more digital.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,829
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do TAF even use the railsystem to transport armor around from one end to another ?

It would require freightweight rails tbh. But it could alleviate quite a bit of the transportation. I'm just asking because all we see are the transport trucks.

Also I think it's fine to buy from different companies as long as the company has proper R&D to improve their vehicles. And not just build license products alone.

Yaacov

Reactions
Nation of residence
Israel
Nation of origin
Israel

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_00-800x534.jpg

FNSS Shadow Rider UGV: from tele-operation to autonomy​

FNSS, the joint venture between the Nurol Group and BAE Systems, has been working since 2018 on unmanned ground vehicles, its Shadow Rider, Gölge Süvari in Turkish language, being exhibited at IDEF 2019. To carry out its R&D programme FNSS chose a low-cost platform, an old M113, which makes a contrast with the modern solutions adopted to make it an unmanned and autonomous vehicle; the choice of such a platform will also allow developing a family of heavy UGVs that might well be expendable, which should be an inherent element when talking of unmanned as these are used in high risk areas, avoiding putting at risk human lives. The choice of a fully mechanical system did not simplify the task when interfaces between autonomy elements and mechanical commands must be built.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_01.jpg

While at IDEF 2019 the Shadow Rider was exhibited as a tele-operated vehicle, at IDEF 2021 the system had considerably evolved in terms of autonomous capabilities. Return to home, obstacle detection avoidance, human recognition should dismounts operate around it, all those features were developed and added to the Gölge Süvari in its 2021 declination.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_04.jpg

The front sensors suite

“For obstacle detection we have equipped the vehicle with five LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging), four 32-channel sensors at the four corners of the M113 and one 64-channel at the front, where we also find two stereo cameras for operating in emergency, while a 360° situational awareness suite provides all-round vision as a safety measure,” Burak Saģ, Business Development Manager Combat and Special Purpose Vehicles tells EDR On-Line. Driving is the only autonomous operation carried out by the vehicle, which in its new variant was fitted with an unmanned turret armed with a 25 mm cannon; any firing operation obviously involving a man-in-the-loop.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_03.jpg

One of the corner LIDAR

The link with the operator is ensured by a two-channel system, tactical radios or commercial 5G being available. The platform is equipped with inertial and satellite navigation systems, the current autonomous suite providing waypoint navigation and patrol capabilities, as well as a leader-follower option in GNSS-denied scenarios. To this end the Shadow Rider is fitted with a TUALCOM GPS antenna that ensures protection against multiple jamming, based on CRPA (Controlled Reception Pattern Antenna) technology. “We are currently focusing on verification and qualification of our system,” Mr. Saģ explains, adding that FNSS is about to sign a contract with the Turkish Presidency of Defence Industries (SSB), the latest details being currently worked out with the aim of a signature by late 2021, early 2022. Turkish Land Forces categorise UGVs in heavy, over 10 tonnes, medium, between 2 and 10 tonnes, and light, under 2 tonnes, FNSS being obviously involved in the heavier category. The Shadow Rider is offered in many variants, fire support and surveillance, either with a 25 mm or a 12.7 mm remotely controlled weapon system, as a rotary wing drone UGV or loitering munition UGV, fitted with multiple rounds canisters, reconnaissance and surveillance with a mast mounted sensor suite, obstacle clearing, with a dozer blade and a digger, and in different mine-clearing options fitted either with a breaching system, a dozer blade for surface laid mines, or roller.

FNSS-IDEF-21-Shadow-Rider_02.jpg

The all-round LIDAR bird-view

At IDEF 2021 it was possible to observe a simulated mission in which the FNSS UGV was carrying out the identification of a ground environment, its sensors being used not only for navigating but also for mapping the ground and identifying potential obstacles, which is leading to a dynamic obstacle avoidance capability, currently at TRL 4 but which should evolve into a technological demonstrator by year end, to be delivered to customer within 2022 to get users’ feedback. This would considerably enhance the system autonomy. A two console system was exhibited, one being the operators control seat, which allowed eventually the operator to take over bringing back the system to tele-operation, while the second showed the data provided by the autonomy suite. The screen was subdivided into five areas. The left main windows on top was devoted to show the computer-generated top-view based on signals obtained by all LIDAR sensors, while on the right we could see the view provided by the 64-channel front LIDAR. Three smaller windows were visible at the screen bottom showing from left to right the day view provided by stereo cameras, a fisheye view based on all LIDARs, and the thermal stereo view.

The M113 used as a platform for the Shadow Rider is fitted with a diesel engine, has a range in excess of 450 km, can reach a speed of over 50 km/h on road, with typical M113 obstacle crossing capability, and has a 4,500 kg payload. The R&D effort undertaken by FNSS might well migrate towards optionally-piloted vehicles based on the company vehicles portfolio, something that should be relatively easy to do as many of the most recent vehicles being less mechanic and more digital.

It's in a good direction. Israel has been working on a similar UGV concept and has pushed quite far ahead compared to other countries.

Based off M113.
אלביט-מבחוץ.jpg

תעא-מבפנים-1024x640.jpg

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,941
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I was kinda hoping the turret would have a shape similar to how Merkeva looks. It's a bit too bulky imo. Same with Otokar's
The Merkava's flattened turret frame wouldn't fit well on a UGV like that. Similar to why American UGV prototypes don't look like the Abrams.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Even more so, I heard it was basically licensed Tatra trucks. Or at least that its chassis was.
These are Tatra, do you see any difference ? It is completely licensed. First Seyit prototypes were slightly different than all just turn into pure tatra trucks. I think they were building indigenous design over the chassis but quitted that idea

1629993685249.png

1629993809586.png

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
These are Tatra, do you see any difference ? It is completely licensed. First Seyit prototypes were slightly different than all just turn into pure tatra trucks. I think they were building indigenous design over the chassis but quitted that idea

View attachment 29635

View attachment 29636

Literally the Same Bro.

For Comparison.
Anadolu Savunma Seyit 8x8 (Armored)

1630003659659.png

Anadolu Savunma Seyit 8x8 (Regular)

1630003741284.png

I am quite Confused as to why these Companies feel the need to License Built AND don't even try to hide it.
How come the Land Vehicle Producers aren't capable of establishing their own Indigenous one.

And the awful Emotional Talk with how Proud they all are about their Revolutionary Developments.
But why is SSB rewarding these low input Vehicles is beyond me as well.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Literally the Same Bro.

For Comparison.
Anadolu Savunma Seyit 8x8 (Armored)

View attachment 29641

Anadolu Savunma Seyit 8x8 (Regular)

View attachment 29642

I am quite Confused as to why these Companies feel the need to License Built AND don't even try to hide it.
How come the Land Vehicle Producers aren't capable of establishing their own Indigenous one.

And the awful Emotional Talk with how Proud they all are about their Revolutionary Developments.
But why is SSB rewarding these low input Vehicles is beyond me as well.

The recovery vehicle was slightly different in the prototype stage but the file product is just pure tatra truck, I even doubt if they produced them in Turkey or just assembled. TSK has many trucks, may be some MANs and Unimogs are also license build but at least they are honest. We don't need anymore licence built stuff, truck chassis is important backbone of a military used in multiple systems. I hate BMC but it is the only company building at least it is a local truck with foreign components.

Final Product

1630010165060.png

The Offer / First Prototypes
1630010481435.png

And Armored Tatra
1630010629270.png

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The recovery vehicle was slightly different in the prototype stage but the file product is just pure tatra truck, I even doubt if they produced them in Turkey or just assembled. TSK has many trucks, may be some MANs and Unimogs are also license build but at least they are honest. We don't need anymore licence built stuff, truck chassis is important backbone of a military used in multiple systems. I hate BMC but it is the only company building at least it is a local truck with foreign components.

Final Product

View attachment 29662

The Offer / First Prototypes
View attachment 29664

And Armored Tatra
View attachment 29665

100%.

BMC Logistic Trucks.

- BMC 380-26

1630013353718.png

- BMC 285 (Armored Version)

BMC came a long way as well just Compare their initial BMC 285 Armored vs After.

1630013185993.png
1630013302107.png

I am still Confused as to why SSB is "rewarding" the other Companies.

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
L

LegionnairE

Don't know about the quality of BMC's military trucks, but their civilian trucks are extremely unpopular.

1630020368325.png

Only 2 Tuğras for sale in the entire country are you ****ing kidding me?

So yeah I don't blame the army for wanting something that is higher quality.

I know it's unfair to compare BMC with Otosan, Otosan is a giant company and having Ford as a partner instead of Qataris, certainly helps but, damn

1630020767601.png

I think most of you will get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,829
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well TSK went from "only the best" to "whatever RTE says we may use" is my impression.

But I wouldn't mind BMC ending up in the hands of people who're capable of improving it in all fields, and cutting off areas that aren't their expertise.

If BMC motor can deliver solid reliable engine/propulsion system to TSK then I'm all for they continue.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,131
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don't know about the quality of BMC's military trucks, but their civilian trucks are extremely unpopular.

View attachment 29675

Only 2 Tuğras for sale in the entire country are you ****ing kidding me?

So yeah I don't blame the army for wanting something that is higher quality.

I know it's unfair to compare BMC with Otosan, Otosan is a giant company and having Ford as a partner instead of Qataris, certainly helps but, damn

View attachment 29676

I think most of you will get the point.

Ford is garbage and so is their fanboys.

Ever since Ford vs Ferrari, ford fans have been growing a head

I'd cooperate with Iveco. Italians can get job done too bad their anti Turkish so its hard to trust them.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Well TSK went from "only the best" to "whatever RTE says we may use" is my impression.

But I wouldn't mind BMC ending up in the hands of people who're capable of improving it in all fields, and cutting off areas that aren't their expertise.

If BMC motor can deliver solid reliable engine/propulsion system to TSK then I'm all for they continue.
I think the main problem was in the fact that Erdo is imposing his idea of complete national independence

Probably, it is due to this, that many companies that are mainly "assembling" rather than building from scratch military trucks or other military equipment arent getting tenders anymore. I think this is the problem with Otokar as well. It is a top notch company that outclasses BMC in terms of military vehicles but arent liked by the SSB due to the fact that it doesnt produce most of its stuff in Turkey. Although recently, Iam surprised by FNSS a lot. Their locality rate is increasing while provide top class equipment both in terms of performance and aesthetics. I kean they left both Otokar and BMC in the dust during IDEF21.....LOOL

IAM not criticising the policy per say, it is actually not bad..... Just imagine your army depending on top class Volvo or Ford trucks and somehow due to political disputes these equipment have stopped getting shipped due to an embargo on a screw in the truck or so. Honestly, I would blow up

However, I do think that SSB should raise its requirements a bit and raise competition as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom