LIbyan Soldier

Libya Correspondent
Reactions
5 247
Nation of residence
Libya
Nation of origin
Libya
Bro, There are some reports circulating about the temporary lease of an area in the Khoms port zone to the Turkish navy. Is this news true? If so, will it be a joint naval task force base or will it be a base directly under the command of the Turkish naval forces? Also, in parallel with this, I would be very grateful if you could inform us about the plans for the near future in the naval organization of the Libyan armed forces, such as the acquisition of new platforms.

My other question is what is the latest situation at Al-Watiya Air Base? Can you inform us about the ongoing TAF activities as technical staff or consultation?
Well, there is no temporary lease contract for an area in the Al-Khums port area of the Turkish Navy. What happened was an agreement between the Ministries of Transportation and Defense to ensure benefit from the seaport and the military base and cooperation between them

As for the plans to develop the navy, there is no one in the near future, because the country and the military institution are literally in a state of division, and there is an arms embargo on Libya.

As for Al-Watiya base, Turkish military transport flights have never stopped. I do not know what is being transported on these flights, if it is defensive equipment or air defense systems, or the type of activities that take place there.

I hope i answered your questions

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,747
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The Libyan government should form a real armed force and all militias should join as military units. Militia leaders should be generals and a war room should be set up with representatives of every military unit. Independent militias mean headache.

LIbyan Soldier

Libya Correspondent
Reactions
5 247
Nation of residence
Libya
Nation of origin
Libya
The Libyan government should form a real armed force and all militias should join as military units. Militia leaders should be generals and a war room should be set up with representatives of every military unit. Independent militias mean headache.
In my opinion, the only solution is for the government to seek international assistance or from an ally such as Turkey to launch a comprehensive military operation against the militias and any armed formation outside the control of the army and the Chiefs of Staff. Either they join the legitimate army and comply with the orders of the state, or death will be their only fate. Enough futility, we wasted 13 years, and the countries around us are advancing, and every year we go back further

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,864
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Libya has enormous potential. 500 km south of Europe, it could be the continent's gateway to independent energy. It could be the African continent's logistics corridor to the Mediterranean. It can be the biggest tourism center of the whole Mediterranean. It can become a hub for logistics, renewable energy, petrochemicals and related service sectors, and even finance. But all this potential also speaks to the reasons behind the difficulty of building international consensus on how to turn things get back on track in Libya.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,693
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In my opinion, the only solution is for the government to seek international assistance or from an ally such as Turkey to launch a comprehensive military operation against the militias and any armed formation outside the control of the army and the Chiefs of Staff. Either they join the legitimate army and comply with the orders of the state, or death will be their only fate. Enough futility, we wasted 13 years, and the countries around us are advancing, and every year we go back further
And bomb haftar back to hell where he belongs

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,706
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, there is no temporary lease contract for an area in the Al-Khums port area of the Turkish Navy. What happened was an agreement between the Ministries of Transportation and Defense to ensure benefit from the seaport and the military base and cooperation between them
I confirmed the authenticity of the news with my sources in Anadolu Agency.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
10 9,054
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Libya has enormous potential. 500 km south of Europe, it could be the continent's gateway to independent energy. It could be the African continent's logistics corridor to the Mediterranean. It can be the biggest tourism center of the whole Mediterranean. It can become a hub for logistics, renewable energy, petrochemicals and related service sectors, and even finance. But all this potential also speaks to the reasons behind the difficulty of building international consensus on how to turn things get back on track in Libya.

Its exactly that potential why the country has been turned upside down by all the usual suspects.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,135
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

North Africa has always been the place that every empire wants to control.

From the Carthaginians to the Romans to the Ottomans to the European Colonial Empires.

It is said if you want to control the Mediterrean sea its a must to control North Africa.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,864
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
North Africa has always been the place that every empire wants to control.

From the Carthaginians to the Romans to the Ottomans to the European Colonial Empires.

It is said if you want to control the Mediterrean sea its a must to control North Africa.
Libyan people have experienced many problems. They have seen many tragedies and it is devastating that they are not allowed to transform this potential and are constantly pushed into internal turmoil and helplessness. Tripoli really could have been Dubai in 20-30 years. Benghazi and Misrata could have become atraction centres. Libya's population of around 7 million is also in a position to directly increase the level of prosperity of its people with the slightest development move.

But what we are discussing under this heading is the French-led western invasion, followed by the ordeal of a major civil war, then the siege of the capital and the imposition of a bloody coup d'état, and now micro-scale divisions and internal showdowns. One political crisis follows another as if there is no end in sight. Then, of course, there is Libya's unique tribal structure and regionalism, which, in correlation with external interventions, fuels internal instability.

For TR's security doctrine, a united and stabilised Libya is indispensable. This is also our historical responsibility, I won't go into our inaction during the Italian occupation of Libya due to the lack of a navy and the fact that we left Libya largely to its fate, but from the point of view of demographic and cultural ties, there are many reasons why I sympathise with Libya today in the same way I sympathise with a any Asian Turkic state. There is historical unity and the blood of our peoples is mixed with each other, in fact we have the same blood, even if we do not speak the same language.

In other words, it should be looked at not only in the light of TR interests but also conscientiously: Turkish foreign policy and defence bureaucracy should maintain its strong stance behind Libya without hesitation. It should not lose its focal point and fall into the mistakes made by France etc. Helping Libya to move forward in an equal and reciprocal relationship is one of our most fundamental duties in the Mediterranean. It is also a sign of sincerity and consistency of Turkish foreign policy.

What you have written may be true in the light of the experience of written human history, but I believe that a new age is dawning. The key word of this new age is not hegamonism, but collectivism.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,135
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Libyan people have experienced many problems. They have seen many tragedies and it is devastating that they are not allowed to transform this potential and are constantly pushed into internal turmoil and helplessness. Tripoli really could have been Dubai in 20-30 years. Benghazi and Misrata could have become atraction centres. Libya's population of around 7 million is also in a position to directly increase the level of prosperity of its people with the slightest development move.

But what we are discussing under this heading is the French-led western invasion, followed by the ordeal of a major civil war, then the siege of the capital and the imposition of a bloody coup d'état, and now micro-scale divisions and internal showdowns. One political crisis follows another as if there is no end in sight. Then, of course, there is Libya's unique tribal structure and regionalism, which, in correlation with external interventions, fuels internal instability.

For TR's security doctrine, a united and stabilised Libya is indispensable. This is also our historical responsibility, I won't go into our inaction during the Italian occupation of Libya due to the lack of a navy and the fact that we left Libya largely to its fate, but from the point of view of demographic and cultural ties, there are many reasons why I sympathise with Libya today in the same way I sympathise with a any Asian Turkic state. There is historical unity and the blood of our peoples is mixed with each other, in fact we have the same blood, even if we do not speak the same language.

In other words, it should be looked at not only in the light of TR interests but also conscientiously: Turkish foreign policy and defence bureaucracy should maintain its strong stance behind Libya without hesitation. It should not lose its focal point and fall into the mistakes made by France etc. Helping Libya to move forward in an equal and reciprocal relationship is one of our most fundamental duties in the Mediterranean. It is also a sign of sincerity and consistency of Turkish foreign policy.

What you have written may be true in the light of the experience of written human history, but I believe that a new age is dawning. The key word of this new age is not hegamonism, but collectivism.

Not to mention how the Italians kept Libyans in concentration camps.

Basically committed a holocaust before the Nazis.

Other atrocities include the Italians throwing Libyans off planes.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,649
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The issue seems to be, without a strong and big economy, it would be hard for Türkiye to back up its geopolitical and security ambitions across the North African coast in the long run.
Thus, there is work to do at home as much as aboard.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,135
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
The issue seems to be, without a strong and big economy, it would be hard for Türkiye to back up its geopolitical and security ambitions across the North African coast in the long run.
Thus, there is work to do at home as much as aboard.

Honestly we have soft power here.

Most North Africans hate European colonialism.

If they had to choose between Turkiye or Europe. They will choose us.

LIbyan Soldier

Libya Correspondent
Reactions
5 247
Nation of residence
Libya
Nation of origin
Libya

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,864
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Honestly we have soft power here.

Most North Africans hate European colonialism.

If they had to choose between Turkiye or Europe. They will choose us.
In my opinion, soft power is inherently fragile. The effect of sole soft power is strong at the grassroots but weak as you move up the pyramid. It can be undermined by hard power, if not in the eyes of the people, then in the state administration. In fact, today's concepts of power have become increasingly hybridized. Personal ambitions can be bought, forced, manipulated. And a bought, coerced or manipulated administration is protected by hard power coming from intervenist power. This state administration may endeavour to eliminate your soft power with all its mean. This is also the equation of the modern colonial order largely.

In order to combat this colonial order, it is important that your soft power is supported by deterrent hard power. But wit a nuance, in a way, you have to look like Robin Hood. If there is a struggle to change the traditional order and paradigm, even this kind of hybrid power alone will not be enough. There must be a relationship of mutual benefit based on consistent and conscientious principles.

In my opinion, the thing that will sustain Turkish foreign policy in the strongest way will be to sustain its principles. Our principles should be our point of legitimacy, and these principles should be compatible with conscientious norms and the interests of the countries concerned. Do you remember the Wilsonian principles, the early stages of US political expansion? I know, We didn't win a world war, even we have trying to overcoming many issues inside let alone others, but we have to stand up with a set of principles that encompass all the peoples with whom we used to share a common order, a common ideology, and therefore power once upon a time.

I am not talking about things like Ummah things etc, I believe that as major fault lines become evident in the world order and power transfers take place in the meantime, a struggle must be waged to open up a space that will prevent the old world from leaving the influence of one hegemon and sitting in the lap of another. If you fail to achieve this, the fronts of the new wars of sharing world will again be built on these losers club. As a matter of fact, you only need to look at the last 20 years to see this.

A bond of trust must be built on the basis of common security and common interests. The real losers of past world wars should not be the losers again, of the new world. We have to build our 'own' space. And, If you want to be an antithesis, you have to be the name of the path of collectivism.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,649
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
He should've been drone striked ages ago.

Killing Gaddafi didn't make it better.
I doubt killing Haftar would.
Rather, a systematic and sequential destruction of the massively corrupt and oppressive system that allows these dictators to operate, should be the objective.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,298
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In my opinion, soft power is inherently fragile. The effect of sole soft power is strong at the grassroots but weak as you move up the pyramid. It can be undermined by hard power, if not in the eyes of the people, then in the state administration. In fact, today's concepts of power have become increasingly hybridized. Personal ambitions can be bought, forced, manipulated. And a bought, coerced or manipulated administration is protected by hard power coming from intervenist power. This state administration may endeavour to eliminate your soft power with all its mean. This is also the equation of the modern colonial order largely.

In order to combat this colonial order, it is important that your soft power is supported by deterrent hard power. But wit a nuance, in a way, you have to look like Robin Hood. If there is a struggle to change the traditional order and paradigm, even this kind of hybrid power alone will not be enough. There must be a relationship of mutual benefit based on consistent and conscientious principles.

In my opinion, the thing that will sustain Turkish foreign policy in the strongest way will be to sustain its principles. Our principles should be our point of legitimacy, and these principles should be compatible with conscientious norms and the interests of the countries concerned. Do you remember the Wilsonian principles, the early stages of US political expansion? I know, We didn't win a world war, even we have trying to overcoming many issues inside let alone others, but we have to stand up with a set of principles that encompass all the peoples with whom we used to share a common order, a common ideology, and therefore power once upon a time.

I am not talking about things like Ummah things etc, I believe that as major fault lines become evident in the world order and power transfers take place in the meantime, a struggle must be waged to open up a space that will prevent the old world from leaving the influence of one hegemon and sitting in the lap of another. If you fail to achieve this, the fronts of the new wars of sharing world will again be built on these losers club. As a matter of fact, you only need to look at the last 20 years to see this.

A bond of trust must be built on the basis of common security and common interests. The real losers of past world wars should not be the losers again, of the new world. We have to build our 'own' space. And, If you want to be an antithesis, you have to be the name of the path of collectivism.
Surest way to lose soft power is to be a hypocritical snob. Westerners made that mistake with Turkey. They acted like colonizers and now Turkey has more than %80 disapproval rate for the US. We need to value our partners and show respect, but also ensure other power blocs don't put "their people" in power. This way, we can have popular support and state support at the same time. We may not be able to make them act in the way we like them %100 of the time this way, but it will be much more beneficial and moral. A significant upside to this approach is that patriotic people side with you, and this has unquantifiable benefits.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom