Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
87 17,878
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
it's at least positive that we're talking. What I don't like is that it's Haftars son who is used as the emissary. This kinda indicates trust issues as I see it.

Either Haftar doesn't trust his own people, or we're talking about things only for Haftar and his sons ears.....
Haftar is old already. He is already in the process of transferring his legacy and executive tasks to his sons. Still a good development.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
64 8,093
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hakan Fidan: "We are in contact with Mr. Haftar in Libya, we are meeting with his sons"

Minister of Foreign Affairs Hakan Fidan stated that relations with the east of the country in Libya are also progressing and said, "We wish for an independent, sovereign Libyan state to come to life again. At this point, we already have relations with the west, and we are improving our relations with the east.

The Speaker of the Parliament in the East, Mr. Akile Salih, came to our country several times. We are in contact with Mr. Haftar, we are meeting with his sons, we have opened our Consulate General in the east and we are putting it into service. So all kinds of relationships continue, but we are currently looking at how we can use this relationship to bring the east and west together.

Not only in Turkiye, but frankly in Libya, especially with Egypt, as you know, Egypt has a large border with Libya, there is a perception that Egypt rightly has a border security problem on this border, so it needs to be resolved. Therefore, Egypt has an interest. Just as we have a border with Syria, we have threat perceptions originating from Syria, so can Egypt, we understand this," he said.

Indeed. To add, not like we’re not talking with LNA.
From last month:

“The Director General of the Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund, appointed by the House of Representatives, Belgassim [son of Haftar], signed contracts with Turkish companies to implement several projects in Benghazi”

I would very much like to know what is the continued Turkish policy re Libya. Now that any EEZ operations and drilling in the region on our side is also halted.
Remembering this from May.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
28 19,161
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Haftar is old already. He is already in the process of transferring his legacy and executive tasks to his sons. Still a good development.
His son may have experienced the issues in Libya, but how much wisdom has he gathered on dealings with "double standard" countries or agencies.

This is one of the reasons for having institutions to support leadership. a person will pass away with his knowledge and knowhow, but if you manage to institutionalize diplomacy in government agencies you have strong backing that should be able to warn you timely.

So the question that comes to mind is, where did Haftars son study (he has 6 sons so, it's going to be interesting to see which gets the power).

So much going on, and as I see it. this is not good for Libya. I mean E.Libya turning into a family business.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
87 17,878
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
His son may have experienced the issues in Libya, but how much wisdom has he gathered on dealings with "double standard" countries or agencies.

This is one of the reasons for having institutions to support leadership. a person will pass away with his knowledge and knowhow, but if you manage to institutionalize diplomacy in government agencies you have strong backing that should be able to warn you timely.

So the question that comes to mind is, where did Haftars son study (he has 6 sons so, it's going to be interesting to see which gets the power).

So much going on, and as I see it. this is not good for Libya. I mean E.Libya turning into a family business.
As far as I know we are in contact with Saddam Haftar.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom