Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
UMTAS-GM: Roketsan's Spike NLOS equivalent.
  • Helicopter launched and land based variants will be available
  • The missile is in trials and will be ready for serial production until the end of this year
  • Roketsan is developing/carrying out R&D for around 40 undisclosed strategic missiles programs at present. UMTAS-GM is just one of them.

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,270
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The UM in UMTAS means already long range (uzun menzil). UMTAS-GM will have longer range than UMTAS. So they need to name it UM-UMTAS-GM 😂.

Joke aside, Israel should be happy now, because i think Greece will place an additional order of Spikes after this revelation.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,204
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The UM in UMTAS means already long range (uzun menzil). UMTAS-GM will have longer range than UMTAS. So they need to name it UM-UMTAS-GM 😂.

Joke aside, Israel should be happy now, because i think Greece will place an additional order of Spikes after this revelation.
Is GM literal translation for NLOS? "Görüşdışı menzili".

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,820
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think a man-in-the-loop missile with a range of around 30 km is coming. (UMTAS-GM)

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,820
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What would be the difference between Kuzgun KY with this? Warhead weight?
As far as I can understand, we will transform the UMTAS missile group into a product range that covering 500 to 25K/30K meter range, like Rafael Spike. Already UMTAS and L-UMTAS are actively used on various platforms. It may be possible to reach much longer ranges by slightly increasing the missile length and fins area. It is not portable, but if it can use the same launcher, it can be very useful by some tactical vehicles and attack helicopters or even attack boats.

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,270
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kuzgun-SS is a guided munition weighing nearly 100 kg.
So i would say Kuzgun KY is more destructive.
From Wikipedia:

"An anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), anti-tank missile, anti-tank guided weapon (ATGW) or anti-armor guided weapon is a guided missile primarily designed to hit and destroy heavily armored military vehicles."

So i think UMTAS-GM is more like a chainsaw, whereas Kuzgun is an axe.
In most cases, if you have both to hand, you will probably use the chainsaw.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,631
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I can understand, we will transform the UMTAS missile group into a product range that covering 500 to 25K/30K meter range, like Rafael Spike. Already UMTAS and L-UMTAS are actively used on various platforms. It may be possible to reach much longer ranges by slightly increasing the missile length and fins area. It is not portable, but if it can use the same launcher, it can be very useful by some tactical vehicles and attack helicopters or even attack boats.
Won't mean much if the missile speed is as doodoo as its rumored to be.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,820
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Won't mean much if the missile speed is as doodoo as its rumored to be.
Will it be slower than the L-UMTAS? I didn't find any information on that, could you please share what exactly is being speculated? I certainly don't see it as a bad idea to provide very long range UMTAS, behind-the-scenes/beyond-line-of-sight engagement for chopper's most battle enviroment which a system already have RF data link, precision guidance and control capability and really efective armour-piercing tandem warhead.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,631
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will it be slower than the L-UMTAS? I didn't find any information on that, could you please share what exactly is being speculated? I certainly don't see it as a bad idea to provide very long range UMTAS, behind-the-scenes/beyond-line-of-sight engagement for chopper's most battle enviroment which a system already have RF data link, precision guidance and control capability and really efective armour-piercing tandem warhead.
It was discussed in this forum in the past that UMTAS missiles are slower than their counterparts. I might be plain wrong though. Surely some other member with better knowledge would enlighten us.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,553
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
It was discussed in this forum in the past that UMTAS missiles are slower than their counterparts. I might be plain wrong though. Surely some other member with better knowledge would enlighten us.
Yes, they are slower because of the IIR version (more time for the "man" in the loop)

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,037
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
From an interview with the General Manager of Tübitak Sage;

Gökdemir will be launched with oblique firing in the first phase. However, vertical, flexible vertical and cold firing modes will be available in future phases.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom