what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,058
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Politics are like our national team, whenever I pay attention we or I lose and age 5 years during the election campaign. And whenever I give up there's this series of good games and you start to have hope again.

Leave me alone, I got used to being depressed.

Profchaos

Reactions
1 278
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why tonight I don't see any pro- AKP profiles posting anywhere? Everywhere - social media, news sites and here... they are nowhere to be seen. What happened? :D

@Zafer , are you alive or you are probably busy working on another jet engine or something?
No, today he started to work on his new fusion reactor.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,757
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A glitch in the matrix

adiyaman.png

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,390
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
As an observer from far away, I am surprised by the enthusiasm here on local mayoral elections. Is it really that important? How much power does mayors hold in Turkey? I understand AKP is loosing big time, how did this change so rapidly from what it was in 2023 national election?

Angry Turk !!!

Reactions
3 998
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Crush716

Committed member
Reactions
1 427
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
As an observer from far away, I am surprised by the enthusiasm here on local mayoral elections. Is it really that important? How much power does mayors hold in Turkey? I understand AKP is loosing big time, how did this change so rapidly from what it was in 2023 national election?
It’s not just power. There are multiple things. For example it’s a small sample of hope. It’s a small sample of people wanting change in direction. It’s a sign of the people wanting to be heard finally. It’s a sign of the people wanted to be treated the same whether or not you support AKP. It’s also a small sample of politics shifting depending on how CHP handles this big responsibility and opportunity.

There is also another example. With these elections CHP municipalities control %64 of the population and %80 of its economic size. Meaning AKP has to find more creative ways to manipulate and influence the masses to launder money or empty the safes of these municipalities. Corruption is much harder when your people are not in charge of the highest level.

Also Our government is in a tough position economically. They were depending on big cities like Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya, Izmir Adana, Bursa etc. AKP could’ve used the money coming in from these big cities or take out loans etc by using the name of those big cities. By losing them they have to find different sources for cash. I’m not saying that these cities were the only answer for cash but it would have given them some relief by winning these municipalities.

So you see these results are huge for the opposition and a huge wake up call for AKP to remember that they are not only serving to there masses but to every single Turkish citizen hopefully

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Municipalities in Turkey have the authority to collect taxes! They also receive funds from the central budget, if necessary. This is where the power of mayors comes from.

The total annual budget of the municipalities won by CHP in Istanbul alone is more than 30 billion dollars. The worst thing for the (AKP+MHP : = Cumhur Bloc) is that CHP won all of the mayoralties in the richest provinces!

It may seem that local elections in Turkey do not produce political impact because the central government does not change them, but the truth is not so. The money amounts controlled are very large, especially in the big cities. Of course, this much money will produce political results. This is the reason for this enthusiasm.

The reason for this dramatic difference is some AKP voters did not go to vote this time. I think the reason for this is that they are finally starting to run out of patience. Because the current government manages the economy poorly, but it also manages some institutions very poorly. Like the Turkiye Football Federation, for example. By bad luck for Cumhur Bloc, the scandals in these institutions broke out right before the election.

Last edited:

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Municipalities in Turkey have the authority to collect taxes! They also receive funds from the central budget, if necessary. This is where the power of mayors comes from.

The total annual budget of the municipalities won by CHP in Istanbul alone is more than 30 billion dollars. The worst thing for the (AKP+MHP : = Cumhur Bloc) is that CHP won all of the mayoralties in the richest provinces!

It may seem that local elections in Turkey do not produce political impact because the central government does not change them, but the truth is not so. The money amounts controlled are very large, especially in the big cities. Of course, this much money will produce political results. This is the reason for this enthusiasm.

The reason for this dramatic difference is that the voters in power did not go to vote this time. I think the reason for this is that they are finally starting to run out of patience. Because the current government manages the economy poorly, but it also manages some institutions very poorly. Like the Turkiye Football Federation, for example. By bad luck for Cumhur Bloc, the scandals in these institutions broke out right before the election.

Also the pensioners. They got the short end of the economic recovery policies. They reacted.

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,634
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It’s not just power. There are multiple things. For example it’s a small sample of hope. It’s a small sample of people wanting change in direction. It’s a sign of the people wanting to be heard finally. It’s a sign of the people wanted to be treated the same whether or not you support AKP. It’s also a small sample of politics shifting depending on how CHP handles this big responsibility and opportunity.

There is also another example. With these elections CHP municipalities control %64 of the population and %80 of its economic size. Meaning AKP has to find more creative ways to manipulate and influence the masses to launder money or empty the safes of these municipalities. Corruption is much harder when your people are not in charge of the highest level.

Also Our government is in a tough position economically. They were depending on big cities like Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya, Izmir Adana, Bursa etc. AKP could’ve used the money coming in from these big cities or take out loans etc by using the name of those big cities. By losing them they have to find different sources for cash. I’m not saying that these cities were the only answer for cash but it would have given them some relief by winning these municipalities.

So you see these results are huge for the opposition and a huge wake up call for AKP to remember that they are not only serving to there masses but to every single Turkish citizen hopefully

Interesting points and wow on the economic part, CHP has the cash control now.

Seems it will be a big problem for Simsek and the markets,

Also

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,695
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
%99 of the ballot boxes opened so far
Mayoral Elections
CHP %37.7
AKP %35.5
YRP %6.2
DEM %5.6
MHP %5
İYİ %3.8
ZAFER %1.7
SP %1.1
Parties under %1 are not listed

Provincial Parliament Elections
CHP %34.4
AKP %32.5
YRP %7
MHP %6.6
DEM %5.7
İYİ %4.6
ZAFER %2.3
SP %1.3
BBP %1.3
Parties under %1 are not listed

1) CHP won both elections and AKP is utterly defeated but spared from total devastation.

2) AKP barely won some provinces, and in some provinces, the combined CHP-İYİ vote is bigger than AKP.

For example, AKP+MHP candidate got %40 of the votes and won the mayoral elections in Ordu province. IYI candidate got %36.5 of the votes while CHP candidate got %16.6 of the votes. We can see a similar situation in Kırklareli, Osmaniye and Hatay.

3) AKP+MHP total votes shrunk to %39.1 (for comparison AKP+MHP got %45.7 of the votes in the 2023 parliament elections) even if we add %7 of YRP and %1.3 BBP votes all of them make %47.4 (for comparison AKP+MHP+BBP+YRP got %49.5 of the votes in the 2023 parliament elections) so the AKP-friendly voter base is also shrunk. If tomorrow Erdoğan runs for the presidency he can't win unless he recruits İYİ or DEM.

4) CHP needs either a candidate like İmamoğlu who can somehow get votes from both DEM and İYİ voter base by cunning political juggling(İstanbul elections) or someone like Mansur Yavaş who can get votes from MHP and AKP voter base(Ankara elections) if CHP wants to win the next presidential elections. Elections in Ankara are proof of Mansurs widespread support from the AKP+MHP voter base. Erdogan feared him the most in the last presidential elections.

5) Provincial Parliament election results show a better picture as smaller parties are usually forced to vote for strong mayoral candidates but nothing binds voters of small parties to vote for their parties for the provincial parliament elections.

Last edited:

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,059
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
AKP is over mate
I just dont see how on earth are they going to make a comeback now or in the future
The world is recovering from Covid period.Our GDP finally back to $13000 in last year.

They had 4 more years,if they dont do too much stupid thing they have many chance to win.

In this economy situaction,AKP got 37% vote still very well

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
I honestly think that the AKP are now goners tbh
The CHP managed to split the votes of the AKP by financing the New Welfare Party with only the money from Istanbul and Ankara. Moreover, it is also a no-brainer that the CHP already controls the social media etc... Now imagine what sort of election campaigns they can pull off while controlling 80% of the economic size of Turkey......
When it comes to underhanded tactics and social media campaigns during the elections, CHP are masters

AKP are truly goners now, lol, even Ragip Soylu agrees

Ragip Soylu:
The opposition will have more financial resources through municipalities to create larger media organisations and run better campaigns.

Last edited:

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
5 3,559
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria

It is not a coincidence that I read these same comments last night too - the very same comments you highlighted and I also thought about...

Our enemies LOVE Erdogan because he is the one who managed to divide the nation and who brought all of the economic, demographic and foreign policy problems over Turkey with his corruption and incompetence. Our enemies love it when Turkey is poor, isolated, divided... But after this election I have a lot of hope for the future. Maybe even Erdogan will start understanding his mistakes- when I heard him last night se sounded like a guy who admits his defeat and sometimes this is the first step towards change.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom