Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 613
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
... if they fail to buy American Engines for block 1/2 of Kaan, they will be out of many options. If American engines are out of the window, there are only 2 capable engines where Turkey may look, South Korea and Chinese WS engines, which i personally think they will not choose to go with Chinese engines.
As far as I know South Korea is hoping to develop an engine with similar thrust to GE F414 by 2035. That would not be sufficient thrust for the engine to be used in Kaan.

What changes would be needed for TF35K to become a 5G engine? Why take on a much more demanding development challenge when the priority is to gain security of supply for an engine for Kaan? If Turkiye opts to take the 5G route and in 2030/2031/2032 finds itself with no engines to put in production frames, it will have no-one to blame but its own planners.

I have no insight into the political risk of use of F110 in Kaan being denied, so my reservations about going for 5G development may be unfounded. However, I think it possible that the US will continue tightening measures against countries dealing with Russia, Turkiye being one of them.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have no insight into the political risk of use of F110 in Kaan being denied, so my reservations about going for 5G development may be unfounded. However, I think it possible that the US will continue tightening measures against countries dealing with Russia, Turkiye being one of them.
It has nothing to do with Russia,its complicated and to much for me to explain.
As long as you know that we dont have another choice but develop our own engine(s).

zio

Reactions
7 525
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If Baykar funds this, we will have a national engine for Hurkus as well.(Our very own PT-6)

If Baykar doesn't fund this though, I don't think there will be a turboprop engine derived from TS-1400 in the near future. Mr. Aksit mentioning this for a long time (He said they aimed for a 1400 shp output for a future turboprop derivative that powers Hurkus) but there doesn't seem to be a demand for it. (Which kinda make sense considering the availability of PT-6)

Interesting development, if true.
We are a bit late for a turboprop engine from TS1400,it should be started a few years ago,and we are too late to start TS3000 project.When we start we finished it,no failure until now.We also have to start marine big diesel engines.

Spitfire9

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 613
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
???
TF35K (maybe it will be TF38K) will be already a 5G engine.
So the new description of the engine as 5G refers to the engine design currently being developed. My vague understanding of the 5G engine tag is it describes a variable cycle engine with massive electrical generation capacity and a reduced IR signature. Perhaps my understanding is wrong or perhaps the meaning of 5G is not established.

Zoth

Reactions
1 18
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I know South Korea is hoping to develop an engine with similar thrust to GE F414 by 2035. That would not be sufficient thrust for the engine to be used in Kaan.

What changes would be needed for TF35K to become a 5G engine? Why take on a much more demanding development challenge when the priority is to gain security of supply for an engine for Kaan? If Turkiye opts to take the 5G route and in 2030/2031/2032 finds itself with no engines to put in production frames, it will have no-one to blame but its own planners.

TF35000 won't be made out of thin air, it has no possibility to fail but only get delayed.

TF35000 will be made out of TF-10000 engine which is already in design and in production-test phase.

I know me saying " has no possibility to fail" is over exaggerating, but once you already have capabilities and industry to design and test fire more than 60 times successfully an engine like tf-6000, the rest is only matter of when and not matter of if.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom