manifesto

Committed member
Reactions
3 474
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
For our AESA radar's instantaneous data, we won't use that similar to greater civil test platform? Only akıncı and F 16, This much?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,909
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will Kızılelma use the same radar as F-16 or use the same with Akıncı?
F-16-Akıncı-Kızılelma will use the same radar. There will be differences in the structural parts but not the core radar. The amount of T/R modules will be the same. We will see if the power output or some of the functions of the radar will be limited by the software for UAV use. (speculation on my side might be a possibility)

Last edited:

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,604
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Why should there be less testing, it will be used for the first time after all. It could have been tested first in F16 (in the test plane) and then added to Akıncı. That's what's normal.
I think the problem here is aircraft manufacturers don't give support for aircraft modifications (test platform) so we ended up testing it with Akıncı

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,050
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the problem here is aircraft manufacturers don't give support for aircraft modifications (test platform) so we ended up testing it with Akıncı
I don't know, since there is no explanation about it, it is normal to receive such comments.

Where will Akıncı find the power and sensors, tools and equipment for this test, is there room for these in Akıncı?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,909
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know, since there is no explanation about it, it is normal to receive such comments.

Where will Akıncı find the power and sensors, tools and equipment for this test, is there room for these in Akıncı?
Have you ever seen an Akıncı up close? I tell you what it is huge. And the power is not related to engines as Akıncı 2*750hp won't have problems providing power to onboard systems and radars and no one is stopping Baykar to switch to the 950hp engines Akıncı designed for. Most of the power issues are revolving around the power delivery system and generator/alternators. If you want more power generator gets bigger. The engine itself produces more than enough power converting mechanical power to electricity and distributing that power is the challenge.

Last edited:

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,050
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Have you ever seen an Akıncı up close? I tell you what it is huge. And the power is not related to engines as Akıncı 2*750hp won't have problems providing power to onboard systems and radars and no one is stopping Baykar to switch to the 950hp engines Akıncı designed for. Most of the power issues are revolving around the power delivery system and generator/alternators. If you want more power generator gets bigger. The engine itself produces more than enough power converting mechanical power to electricity and distributing that power is the challenge.
No. Already, you mean to say that Akıncı's required places for these tests are set from scratch? If you talk about the modifications made, we will learn.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,909
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No. Already, you mean to say that Akıncı's required places for these tests are set from scratch? If you talk about the modifications made, we will learn.
Yes, Akıncı designed for AESA radar from the scratch. There will of course be modifications but even the size of the nose is calculated with the measurements Aselsan gave Baykar.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,604
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
About this Turkish AESA radar, do we have any data on how many T/R modules, types of antenna (patch/notch?), SAR resolution etc
We only have T/R count and power per module, around 1000 T/R modules and 20W normal and 30W peak for each module, thus 20kW and 30kW

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,909
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
About this Turkish AESA radar, do we have any data on how many T/R modules, types of antenna (patch/notch?), SAR resolution etc
~1000 GaN T/R modules, 20W max nominal power output per module with transient power spikes up to 30 watts. No other details yet other than the functions like scan, track while scan, missile guidance, SAR/ISAR, GMTI etc.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,050
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, Akıncı designed for AESA radar from the scratch. There will of course be modifications but even the size of the nose is calculated with the measurements Aselsan gave Baykar.
The nose size is the last hole of the zurna, you can reduce the aesa according to the nose size, I'm talking about other systems. Anyway, maybe they'll tell the public how they did it.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
123 15,045
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
First of all. Akinci’s Aesa radar and the F16 Aesa radar are totally different in size. Akinci uses a smaller diameter Aesa radar. Even I. Demir mentioned this during one of his interviews.
That means the number of T/R modules on the Akinci Aesa are a lot less than F16’s. F16 will probably have a little more than 1000 modules.
This means Akinci power distribution system is simpler than F16’s.

Can it be that there are few parts that Aselsan was not able to procure from abroad to provide the bigger radar’s higher needs? In the meantime, may be, they are using Akinci as a test bed to iron out any unforeseen events with the GaN modules and during which time produce locally, those parts that they weren’t able to obtain.
So when all is ready next year they can fit the radar on to F16 and hopefully will not have to do a lot of tweaking.
All we can say is “better late than never”!
We have to remember that this is a very strategically important game changer piece of technology that Aselsan is producing. No one will give it you, even if you tried to pay for it. A bit of patience is needed I think. Everyone in the SSB and the forces and Aselsan know how important this piece of tech is.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 664
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Our radar looks great but won't physically rotate? it seems fixed to me...

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom