Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Are the locations of those vertical stabilizers final? Apparently the location of those vertical stabilizers have an adverse effect on the stealth of the aircraft. (or so i heard)
No, it was done to manage RCS in fact. Currently, the plan is to keep them as they are. We will see what TAI comes up with in the not too distant future.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,511
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@Heartbang
You probably meant IIR signature exposure?

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,210
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have no idea but If someone knows, do the vertical stabilizers need to align with diverter plate/ inlets angle to reduce RCS? I always imagined that was the reason

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,632
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No, it was done to manage RCS in fact. Currently, the plan is to keep them as they are. We will see what TAI comes up with in the not too distant future.
I was refering to the fact of vertical stabilizers being directly on the engine humps.

Notice the F-22's vertical stabilizers' position. They are not mounted on the engine humps, just right next to it.

1000w_q95.jpg

And this is KAAN for comparison:
MMU-TF-X-Taksi-2023-2-1-1536x1024.jpg

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
I was refering to the fact of vertical stabilizers being directly on the engine humps.

Notice the F-22's vertical stabilizers' position. They are not mounted on the engine humps, just right next to it.

1000w_q95.jpg

I know what you are referring to. But like I said... There currently are, in the short term at least, no plans to move the vertical stabilizers to the side booms.

E

Era_shield

1000w_q95.jpg

Where did you hear that the vertical stabilisers' location will adversely affect RCS?

Ahlatshah

Reactions
7 223
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Are the locations of those vertical stabilizers final? Apparently the location of those vertical stabilizers have an adverse effect on the stealth of the aircraft. (or so i heard)
The placement of vertical stabilizers are nothing to do with RCS. They must be angled for low visibility, not 90 degree like we see on f15 or MIGs. I think the placements are more related with flight performance

E

Era_shield

Had a discussion about it on Discord
As far as I'm aware, there's no reason the location of those stabilisers should adversely affect RCS. Their location has little to do with the engines or RCS, they are placed where they are due to aerodynamic factors like vortex flow from the nose-inlet junctions. Because Kaan's engines are further apart than the F-22's to make space for the rear facing radar/electronics complex, the stabilisers end up being on top of them.

Top Bottom