Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
If i remember correctly, CDR of "this" plane was done. But CDR of Block 10 plane, i.e. 2025 config. plane, was not done yet.

I couldn't remember the source. But it was not a bogus source afaik, that's what i could remember...
:)

Perhaps that source was referring to the fact that the design was frozen for GTU-0/P0. This doesn't necessarily mean CDR for KAAN is done.

TsumugiShirogane

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
How much do the inlet diverters hamper the Kaan's RCS compared to a DSI design? I see /k/ users mentioning it will essentially ruin the stealth profile.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,496
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Add to that list, F15, F18, EF2000, gripen, J10, J16, Tejas, etc.

TsumugiShirogane

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can't be that much, given the F-22 uses it too.
F-35 has superior RCS compared to F-22. All the supposed to be 5th gen contenders like J-20 are also employing the DSI design. What was the purpose of sacrificing stealth for additional speed, when it'll be facing BVR threats on the horizon?

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,553
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
F-35 has superior RCS compared to F-22. All the supposed to be 5th gen contenders like J-20 are also employing the DSI design. What was the purpose of sacrificing stealth for additional speed, when it'll be facing BVR threats on the horizon?
Depends, space between the intake and the body is not useless

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,204
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Faster platform speed = longer missile range, and easier to get out of enemy no escape zone. Although two equivalent 5th gen fighters would almost only fight within visual range, where maneuverability may matter even more? Another thing, Tempest concepts seem to be using a similar inlet design. Let's also not forget that TAI did manufacture the fuselage and inlets of F35, so we must know how to do it if we wanted.

E

Era_shield

F-35 has superior RCS compared to F-22.
The RCS of the F-22 is classified. Any numbers you see on the internet are just guesses or rumours. However we can compare them from the fact that the F-35 is offered to half the world while the F-22 is sold to no one, not even the US' closest allies.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,876
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Wrong. The F-22 has a far superior RCS to that of the F-35.

what gives the F-35 the edge is its sensors capabilities. That’s it other than that the stealth capabilities of the F-35 will over the years degrade to a point where newer radars will pick it up from hundreds of km away.

For the US the F-35 is its next gen F-16. It’s next F-22 will be the NGAD.

also DSI has mainly nothing to do with stealth but with easing of maintenance and cost.

If you want supercruise on your jet you can’t go with DSI.

J-20 can’t supercruise
F-35 can’t supercruise

But the F-22 can and Kaan will be able too.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,496
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The RCS of the F-22 is classified. Any numbers you see on the internet are just guesses or rumours. However we can compare them from the fact that the F-35 is offered to half the world while the F-22 is sold to no one, not even the US' closest allies.

In 2014, former commander of Air Combat Command, Gen. Hostag stated in an interview that, F-35's RCS is smaller then F-22's.

“The F-35 is geared to go out and take down the surface targets,” says Hostage, leaning forward. “The F-35 doesn’t have the altitude, doesn’t have the speed [of the F-22], but it can beat the F-22 in stealth.”

This was later confirmed by Gen. Bogdan, Fq-35 Program Executive Officer.

“I would say that General Hostage … is accurate in his statement about the simple stealthiness of the F-35 [with regard] to other airplanes,” Bogdan said in the interview. The statement was accurate for radar cross section, as measured in decibels, and range of detectability, he said, and he scoffed at the notion that anyone can tell how stealthy an aircraft is just by looking at it.

Col. Chris Niemi who has eight years in the cockpit of an F-22 and is one of the few Air Force pilots who is qualified in both the Raptor and the F-35 Lightning II stated that, he wanted to set the record straight on the Lightning II, once and for all. “Many have compared the F-22 to the F-35 but that comparison is unfair. With the F-35 Lightning, this fighter sees better, has more range, and is stealthier than any of its predecessors. This airplane, with its fly by wire technology, is super easy to fly and it has a very linear response.”

Edit- to be fair I should also add this-

"The F-35’s cross section is smaller than the F-22’s, but that does not mean, Hostage concedes, that the F-35 is necessarily superior to the F-22 when we go to war. In fact, Hostage says that it takes eight F-35s to do what two F-22s can handle." (in Air superiority given superior speed, altitude and maneuverability)

Last edited:

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,631
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In 2014, former commander of Air Combat Command, Gen. Hostag stated in an interview that, F-35's RCS is smaller then F-22's.

“The F-35 is geared to go out and take down the surface targets,” says Hostage, leaning forward. “The F-35 doesn’t have the altitude, doesn’t have the speed [of the F-22], but it can beat the F-22 in stealth.”

“I would say that General Hostage … is accurate in his statement about the simple stealthiness of the F-35 [with regard] to other airplanes,” Bogdan said in the interview. The statement was accurate for radar cross section, as measured in decibels, and range of detectability, he said, and he scoffed at the notion that anyone can tell how stealthy an aircraft is just by looking at it.

Col. Chris Niemi who has eight years in the cockpit of an F-22 and is one of the few Air Force pilots who is qualified in both the Raptor and the F-35 Lightning II stated that, he wanted to set the record straight on the Lightning II, once and for all. “Many have compared the F-22 to the F-35 but that comparison is unfair. With the F-35 Lightning, this fighter sees better, has more range, and is stealthier than any of its predecessors. This airplane, with its fly by wire technology, is super easy to fly and it has a very linear response.”

I do wonder how the F-35's EW capabilities factor into those statements. If the F-35 doesn't need to conduct EW to be stealthier than the F-22, that would be quite impressive.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,496
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I do wonder how the F-35's EW capabilities factor into those statements. If the F-35 doesn't need to conduct EW to be stealthier than the F-22, that would be quite impressive.

I think this makes it pretty clear.

"I would say that General Hostage … is accurate in his statement about the simple stealthiness of the F-35 [with regard] to other airplanes,” The statement was accurate for radar cross section, as measured in decibels, and range of detectability, he said, and he scoffed at the notion that anyone can tell how stealthy an aircraft is just by looking at it."

Last edited:

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,862
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Edit- to be fair I should also add this-

"The F-35’s cross section is smaller than the F-22’s, but that does not mean, Hostage concedes, that the F-35 is necessarily superior to the F-22 when we go to war. In fact, Hostage says that it takes eight F-35s to do what two F-22s can handle." (in Air superiority given superior speed, altitude and maneuverability)
The whole jet or from special angles? What could be the reason why F-35 has to be a lower RCS?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,496
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The whole jet or from special angles? What could be the reason why F-35 has to be a lower RCS?

Good question, but tbh, I don't know the exact answer. (Probably not the whole jet, F-22 for sure has better RCS from rear-aspect due to its unique nozzles)

Top Bottom