DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A good presentation of what DAS is and what it can do. (Here it says DAS is HD)

F-35 DAS stitches IR video feeds and puts a box around aircraft without even giving numbers to it. Turn the plane a bit and you lost the track of who is who. DAS alone is not enough SAR has a higher resolution which allows it to actually IDENTIFY the object. Is it a SAM or is it just civilian truck. What model is that SAM. Draw a circle around its detection range and engagement ranges. Now THAT is useful info. Screw the whale.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,749
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
F-35 DAS stitches IR video feeds and puts a box around aircraft without even giving numbers to it. Turn the plane a bit and you lost the track of who is who.

That is not how DAS works. It's 360 sensor connected with HMDS. (Helmet mounted display system)

DAS alone is not enough SAR has a higher resolution which allows it to actually IDENTIFY the object. Is it a SAM or is it just civilian truck. What model is that SAM. Draw a circle around its detection range and engagement ranges. Now THAT is useful info. Screw the whale.

Its primary role to function as MWS. (missile warning system)

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,587
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That is not how DAS works. It's 360 sensor connected with HMDS. (Helmet mounted display system)

Its primary role to function as MWS. (missile warning system)
and passive detection of aircrafts i.e precision tracking of not only foe but wingmen/friendly aircraft as well for increased tactical maneuvering...among many other things

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 404
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
I expect RR officials to make a new offer with their local partners but I doubt it will be accepted. It might though, depending on the offer.
Would it better to use RR as a consultant rather than as a co-developer? RR could be called in to accelerate dealing with difficult problems (difficult for TEI) that come up in a TEI-designed engine. India called SAFRAN in to fix some of the problems with the Kaveri engine that it (India) did not know how to fix. I think it would be risky to the KAAN production start date with a Turkish engine fitted for TEI to try developing it on its own.

RR did not design the Eurojet EJ200 engine, so using that design would probably require all 4 Eurojet partners to agree to it being used by Turkiye or built in Turkiye. That sounds uncertain to me and not what Turkiye wants.

Co-development of a new engine with a major OEM would, I think, be very expensive. My guess is that $5 billion is about the minimum that would need to be paid to the foreign OEM plus, I think, whatever the Turkish partner needed to be paid.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
67 7,749
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
They were supposed to develop an engine for KAAN based on pearl 15 according to prof. Dr. Mahmut Askit.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
118 14,963
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
RR did not design the Eurojet EJ200 engine, so using that design would probably require all 4 Eurojet partners to agree to it being used by Turkiye or built in Turkiye. That sounds uncertain to me and not what Turkiye wants.
You need to search a bit before making bold statements like that. Rolls Royce XG40 engine is the starting point of the EJ200 engine. Yes, It was developed by the quad country consortium and the MTU Aero was allowed to produce the engine. But in its core the engine has all the hallmarks of a Rolls Royce XG40 written all over it. UK is the only country that can and does manufacture the EJ200 engine in whole at Bristol factories for the UK’s Typhoons.
There is a written agreement among the quad country consortium that no one country will stop the other from making a sale. So if they can manufacture the engine on their own the other countries will not stand in the way. (In case of Saudi Arabia, a lot of parts of the engine and the plane were being manufactured in Germany and setting up new production line for those parts were not economical).
So if Turkey were to produce the engine under licence with RR help, other countries will not stand in the way.

Please watch the whole engine being put together by RR engineers in Bristol in the video.

Last edited:

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,894
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
So if Turkey were to produce the engine under licence with RR help, other countries will not stand in the way.
The agreement was not include Türkiye and only quad partners. I have my doubts about legal status of license production without restrictions of other partners.

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 404
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
The agreement was not include Türkiye and only quad partners. I have my doubts about legal status of license production without restrictions of other partners.

Eurojet were asked to design an engine with a view to it being suited to a 20%-30% increase in thrust if required. Would Turkiye have been prepared to design TF-X around a 117kN wet thrust engine?

Last edited:

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Safer Zekâ offers users an environment that provides the tools, libraries, models and services they need in their work providing services in the fields of data analytics and machine learning. Safir Zekâ is from the family of platforms known as machine learning as a service (MLaaS).

Safir Zekâ offers a development environment in which existing machine learning (ML) libraries are installed, models compiled from publications with proven performance and high applicability by academic studies are presented as a ready-to-use service, and 3rd party packages can also be installed. Ready-to-use models can be accessed via a software programming interface (API).

Software developers, data scientists and end users can also develop their own machine learning applications with Safir Zekâ.

By using container-based infrastructure technologies in the Safir Zekâ environment, services are provided in a portable structure with high accessibility.

Safir Zekâ also has a simplified process wizard;

Instant data supply from external sources,

Loading data from local sources,

Data preview and normalization,

Visualization of processed data,

Creating a machine learning model,

It offers developers an easy-to-manage interface for training and testing all specified models. It offers developers an easy-to-manage interface for testing. It is also possible to automatically publish models produced with the process wizard.

Within the scope of the Safir Zekâ Project, R&D activities continue within B3Lab and it is aimed to increase the user experience to the highest level by adding new features to the system in line with the needs of the sector and the academy.

Safir Zekâ Project has been forked as Safir Zekâ Avionics to meet the machine learning requirements intended to be used for advanced technologies that a new generation aircraft may need within the scope of the National Combat Aircraft (MMU) Project, which was initiated to meet the needs of the Turkish Armed Forces.

Safir Zekâ Avionics is a machine learning library development project developed within the scope of the MMU Project, specialized for avionics data analysis and avionics artificial intelligence use cases.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 14.31.53.png

Via B3Lab/ TübitakBİLGEM/ @Radonsider

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do we have a video or picture of actual KAAN protype with working cockpit screen. Did they integrate avionics simulator to the prototype?

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 404
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
When are high speed taxi trials due to start? Can it be expected that video will be released from official sources?

PS I have seen no pictures of prototype no 2

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Georgio Clementi - Head of ITPS: "The Türk Havacılık ve Uzay Sanayii TF-X Kaan flight test team visited the International Test Pilots School and had the opportunity to sample our 5th gen. Surrogate Training Aircraft (5STA). The team all commented on 5STA being a uniquely effective training asset for a modern school of flight testing. They were very complimentary about the cockpit and displays upgrade to the aicraft and its capabilities for exposing students to modern fighter aicraft Human Machine Interface (HMI). The TF-X prototype is due to make its maiden flight next month."

1700221484616.jpeg

1700221484315.jpeg

1700221484248.jpeg

1700221485641.jpeg

1700221486986.jpeg
1700221484128.jpeg

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Georgio Clementi - Head of ITPS: "The Türk Havacılık ve Uzay Sanayii TF-X Kaan flight test team visited the International Test Pilots School and had the opportunity to sample our 5th gen. Surrogate Training Aircraft (5STA). The team all commented on 5STA being a uniquely effective training asset for a modern school of flight testing. They were very complimentary about the cockpit and displays upgrade to the aicraft and its capabilities for exposing students to modern fighter aicraft Human Machine Interface (HMI). The TF-X prototype is due to make its maiden flight next month."

View attachment 63033

View attachment 63034

View attachment 63035

View attachment 63036
View attachment 63037 View attachment 63038

I somehow feel that this is more than a courtesy visit from a 5th gen aircraft manufacturer. It’s more like an excuse to sit in the cockpit of a Hawker Hunter, an icon 😉

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,868
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
What’s preventing us from signing and preordering 100+ 150 F110 and 100F404.
Politicians dragging their feet and waiting until it’s too late is a fatal flaw that needs to be removed.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
118 14,963
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
What’s preventing us from signing and preordering 100+ 150 F110 and 100F404.
Politicians dragging their feet and waiting until it’s too late is a fatal flaw that needs to be removed.
According to SSB then President I. Demir, the initial quantity of F110 engines for the block 10 KAAN were secured. We don’t know how many engines they agreed upon. But a Turkish squadron of 20 KAANs need approximately 42-44 engines. That carries a purchase value of 150 million dollars. Give or take 10 million. That amount should be high enough to trigger the need for congressional approval. But may be there are some agreements we don’t know about.
We know that Tusas has tentatively or definitively placed an order for 100 F404 engines; and TEI General Manager Dr Aksit has said that they were negotiating with GE to produce those in house at TEI. That too is worth best part of 300 million dollars. If we are to produce them in house under licence, there should be a licence agreement that will attract congressional approval too.
I hope some know-all tv presenter will ask these questions to the SSB president and Dr Aksit so that the issue of engines for these two planes are clarified for all!

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Must've missed this. TAI's wind tunnel.

1699516808997.jpeg