TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

peers

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

There is an altitude test facility belonging to KALE-arge company in Turkey. It is the only one for now, but when TAI's investments such as wind tunnel and lightning test center are completed, it will most likely be gained in this facility.

In addition, the time given for the completion of the domestic engine is 2026-2028. Most likely, the high altitude test center will be opened by this date.

Last edited:

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
Yes it is viable .. there is no relation between the two aspects
As far as i remember .. TAI made agreements with motorsich recently to co-develop turbojet engines .. this will include surely the test infrastructures ... Just like tfx programm .. the design phase started 10 years ago but they built the test facilities later and still many under construction

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Motor Sich may be involved in certain parts being produced for the auxiliary power units to be used in TFX. But that is all.
On the other hand, Motor Sich is producing 14 helicopter engines for the 11ton class attack helicopter project of Turkey.
TR Motor company has made a joint venture agreement with Ivchenko Progress for TFX‘s engine development work.
There is close cooperation between Turkey and Ukraine. But TFX project is being helped by BAE Systems and TAI doesn’t really need more involvement unless there is financial cooperation.
When the engine production start taking shape then may be some external help may be sought.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
-Parts production of the National Combat Aircraft continue
-Software teams' work has intensified as we speak
-HAVELSAN aims to develop software solutions to aid the scheduling of the TF-X
-Work is also being carried out to improve cost management and performance

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 15.16.47.png

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
I still prefer trust vectoring nozzles of F-22. Even it increase the cost of TFX.
I had a conversation with a couple of TAI engineers a year or two ago. I asked them about the possibility of equipping the TF-X with TVC nozzles. None seemed to be as excited about the idea as I was! A couple of responses that I received were "close range dogfighting has lost its meaning", "it's unnecessary", "the aircraft is highly maneuverable by design, thrust vectoring technology is way too complicated to work on at this stage" etc. So... by the looks of things I don't think it's happening man lol. But I do believe that it was evaluated.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are few planes with thrust vectoring and the complications and the additional weight it will put on the plane is not worth the effort at this day and age.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,863
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I had a conversation with a couple of TAI engineers a year or two ago. I asked them about the possibility of equipping the TF-X with TVC nozzles. None seemed to be as excited about the idea as I was! A couple of responses that I received were "close range dogfighting has lost its meaning", "it's unnecessary", "the aircraft is highly maneuverable by design, thrust vectoring technology is way too complicated to work on at this stage" etc. So... by the looks of things I don't think it's happening man lol. But I do believe that it was evaluated.
I dont like the idea that many people think „dogfights“ are out. Maybe not in the number as in the past, but dogfight still exist. Greece as an example. If the „enemy“ is that close as the Greeks are, dogfights are not obsolete and inevitable. Even it will be obsolete in the future. Agility is still important. How will the plane dodge an incoming missile/ammunition without agility.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,863
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont like the idea that many people think „dogfights“ are out. Maybe not in the number as in the past, but dogfight still exist. Greece as an example. If the „enemy“ is that close as the Greeks are, dogfights are not obsolete and inevitable. Even it will be in the future. Agility is still important. How will the plane dodge an incoming missile without agility.

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,354
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont like the idea that many people think „dogfights“ are out. Maybe not in the number as in the past, but dogfight still exist. Greece as an example. If the „enemy“ is that close as the Greeks are, dogfights are not obsolete and inevitable. Even it will be obsolete in the future. Agility is still important. How will the plane dodge an incoming missile/ammunition without agility.

Nope, if war breaks out our F16 would never go for dogfight.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
I think you are wrong here. But it’s just hypothetical.
I don't think anyone is ruling agility out since the TF-X is supposedly a highly maneuverable aircraft. On paper, it's till going to be very agile. It's just better to know your priorities. Would you as an inexperienced company a) Develop TVC nozzles in hopes that it will gift you super-maneuverability, or b) act accordingly with future interests, go with a low risk-high reward approach? If I were the head of TAI I would choose the latter. The concept of aerial warfare has changed and it will not stop changing. If you want to survive, you gotta adapt. The Su-57 has 3D thrust vectoring. Does this mean that airplane is better than the F-35? That's questionable. I mean we don't even know how well the Su-57 would fare against a Rafale or a Eurofighter. Aircraft based on the canard delta configuration are known to be very agile as well. Thrust vectoring is a good tool to have but it is incredibly overrated at the same time. But I'm not saying TF-X shouldn't have it. Just stressing the fact that TAI knows about their priorities better than we do. First we need a flying prototype of this TF-X or whatever its name will be... Then we can start working on thrust vectoring.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
10 9,053
Nation of residence
United Kingdom

Isnt the idea that once your spotted its game over?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,738
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dogfights are a thing of the past not because of the individual capability of aircraft, missiles, and radars but the change in air warfare doctrine.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom