Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,543
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Previously we did somewhat detailed examination of F-35's RCS based on available data. We tried to figure out how SIPER would hold up against a F-35.
(ERIS has a detection range of 470km against targets with 1m RCS)

Here is the main article.

TOYGUN is not similar to EOTS.

You see TOYGUN is a FLIR only.
While EOTS combines both FLIR and IRST in one.

However, that is why for A2A applications TFX has independent KARAT IRST.

True. (But it would be interested to see if they can pull off the desired result within current budget)

More or less I agree. However, if your concern is Greece then I have to say, they are unlikely to risk their limited numbers of F-35s against TurAF in short brust of tactical skirmishes.
No, TOYGUN works exactly like the EOTS, they both use the same method. There is no magic in EOTS.

If you go look at Toygun advertisement you will also see that "Air to Air" is present, same for external pods too.

The reason why KARAT is a different sensor is because of diversification, working on ground and air at the same time and using LWIR so better for detecting individual heat sources

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,762
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,762
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just out of interest in 2028 what level of improvement do we expect to see on an F35?
Well it all depends on how quickly US can integrate some of the improvements being tested by the engine manufacturers, on to the plane.
There is going to be a new Aesa radar with GaN based TR modules. This will be accompanied by new avionics.
A new engine is in the pipeline. Although P&W is trying hard to improve current f135, there is a GE derivative of an adaptive cycle engine waiting to replace the F135 with XA100 engine which may be starting to use Ceramic Matrix Composite technologies in the manufacturing of the critical parts of the engine.
P&W have already been awarded by the US government a grant of 437million dollars to develop an adaptive cycle engine for the F35. So they are not sitting on their laurels either.
We will most likely see engine power of F35 increasing to 45000lbf levels.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,543
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Well it all depends on how quickly US can integrate some of the improvements being tested by the engine manufacturers, on to the plane.
There is going to be a new Aesa radar with GaN based TR modules. This will be accompanied by new avionics.
A new engine is in the pipeline. Although P&W is trying hard to improve current f135, there is a GE derivative of an adaptive cycle engine waiting to replace the F135 with XA100 engine which may be starting to use Ceramic Matrix Composite technologies in the manufacturing of the critical parts of the engine.
P&W have already been awarded by the US government a grant of 437million dollars to develop an adaptive cycle engine for the F35. So they are not sitting on their laurels either.
We will most likely see engine power of F35 increasing to 45000lbf levels.
Apparently (according to some sources) Block 4 upgrades were extended to FY2029, but yeah TR3 will be applied to Lot15 to Lot17 which is the supporting base for Block 4 upgrades.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
US spent billions in RAM research alone over 5 decades and still continue to do so. F-35 is their 4th stealth get and they already rolled out their 5th one (B-21) recently.

So, it is very natural they will continue to have the advantage in this regard over the others in foreseeable future.

Of course, that doesn't mean Turkish RAM wouldn't be good enough.

I am confident TFX will achieve frontal RCS of 20-25 dbcm as was set in the requirement.

View attachment 57149

And this is good enough for today's environment.

Also, stealth is relatively more advantageous in A2G mission compared to areal domain where both side suspected to operate 5th gen LO platforms against each other.

In this scenario, 5th gen fighter uses its main radar in limited manner. (So it's emission doesn't get caught on adversary’s EW suite) Rather, it primarily relies on its listening ability to detect, track and fire on adversary. (F35's exceptional sensor fusion ability and interoperability with other F-35s allows it to have complete passive firing solution)

But more importantly, as i emphasized previously- When talking about National security strategy, it is always important to understand that, It is not necessary ( or not even logical all the times) to match adversary’s exact A-Z qualitative capabilities to form a sound strategy and achieve credible deterrence.
you are totally wrong, that was the case with f35 and we get that you read a lot about it before, lets say f35 radar could detect stealth aircraft like tfx from 35 km away, or lets say 50km, but tfx radar could detect from 100-120km+ range and use other drones that has air to air missile, or use more expensive Gokhan missile from long distance. thats the case more power, bigger head is more important, thats why the head portion is big because the whole concept is build an awacs capable jet as power as or as bigger radar as possible.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I think if KAAN finds large export orders the production date should be increased to 3 or 4 per months in order to not have long lead times
they say it just to get enough f110 engine for TFX, obviously they have thought about it already, but they also need to wait when Altay, Gokbey, Akinji, KE, Hurjet start exporting and money comes in

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yep, in the French navy. I like the video he makes, not just because of the quality but because he’s also quiet neutral.
Bro I was going to ask that can you summarize the video for us but I couldn't find your name to tag you :D.It's nice to see you.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,197
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This man was a Rafale pilot if I remember correctly.I wish I knew French.
He doesn't say much beyond basic details people on this forum would know and most of his commentary is like all of these will require a lot of work especially KE being navalized for TCG Anadolu

TsumugiShirogane

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
lets say f35 radar could detect stealth aircraft like tfx from 35 km away, or lets say 50km, but tfx radar could detect from 100-120km+ range and use other drones that has air to air missile, or use more expensive Gokhan missile from long distance
Funny stuff! You have no idea what F-35 and the Meteor missile is capable of, do you?

TsumugiShirogane

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Depends, performance of these are dependent on various factors
So are ours. And what are the chances that our sensors will be able to detect them, before they detect us? The SSB seriously needs to convene a summit on assessing and countering the stealth jet and the BVRAAM threat looming on the horizon.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,402
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
you are totally wrong, that was the case with f35 and we get that you read a lot about it before, lets say f35 radar could detect stealth aircraft like tfx from 35 km away, or lets say 50km, but tfx radar could detect from 100-120km+ range and use other drones that has air to air missile, or use more expensive Gokhan missile from long distance. thats the case more power, bigger head is more important, thats why the head portion is big because the whole concept is build an awacs capable jet as power as or as bigger radar as possible.

@AzeriTank i think you misunderstood what I wrote.
It is not that simple, neither TFX nor F-35 is a cakewalk for each other.
As @Radonsider pointed out, any outcome would depend on various factors and complex variables.

Also, F-35's Radar is not that small either. If BUFRIS's main forward looking AESA sensor has 2000+ T/R modules, then APG-81 has around 1650+ T/R modules. Also upcoming APG-85 will be GaN based like BUFRIS.

But here's one thing, F-35 has clear advantage over it’s near-peers is it unique and unrivalled sensor fusion engine developed by L3HARRIS.

But the most important Aspect of this 5th gen VS 5th gen scenario that I wanna emphasise on is, neither side would be able to use their main radar as freely as we are anticipating, because that would considerably increase the chances of being caught by adversary’s EW suite (more specifically, RWR)

"In 2009, Lockheed Martin’s CATbird avionics testbed—a Boeing 737 that carries the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter’s entire avionics system—engaged a mixed force of F-22s and Boeing F-15s and was able to locate and jam F-22 radars, according to researchers."

keep in mind, APG-77 is the best AESA out there that can change its frequency 1000times per second to keep its LPI. Yet it got caught on F-35's barracuda. ( an older version of F-35)

And more importantly it is not only jamming, if you get caught first you will be fired upon first.

"The details of the F-35 threat-detection system or RWR are classified, but interviews of pilots who have flown both the F-16CJ and the F-35 state that a single F-35 has the ability to locate, identify, and triangulate emitter locations faster and with greater precision than can a flight of three F-16CJs that surround the emitter."

And in the near future, it is not only the TFX that will operate in MUM-T configuration. F-35 will also have the same ability.
And not only that, just like KE equipped with Gokdogan, USAF is also planning to integrate classified AIM-260 with its future drones as was recently revealed.

However, if you specifically mean Greek F-35 vs KAAN, then Hellenic AF probably wouldn’t have the advantage to apply MUM-T Concept.

Last edited:

TsumugiShirogane

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
"TEI has been ordered to complete the production of the KAAN's engine by 2028. Prof. Dr. Akşit: "The materials are quite expensive, F-35 engine was completed in 15 years, we're asked to have it complete by 5 years. The cost total is estimated to be around 3-5 billion USD.""
Made in a shorter timeframe, on a constrained budget, but it'll rival the opposition? Does it compute? I can't be the only who finds this ominous. We're yet to understand the gravity of the situation I think. Let's hope we will, sooner than later.
@AzeriTank i think you misunderstood what I wrote.
It is not that simple, neither TFX nor F-35 is a cakewalk for each other.
As @Radonsider pointed out, any outcome would depend on various factors and complex variables.

Also, F-35's Radar is not that small either. If BUFRIS AESA has around 2000 T/R modules APG-81 has around 1650 T/R modules. Also upcoming APG-85 would be GaN based like BUFRIS.

But here's one thing, F-35 has clear advantage over it’s near-peers is it unique and unrivalled sensor fusion engine developed by L3HARRIS.

But the most important Aspect of this 5th gen VS 5th gen scenario that I wanna emphasise on is, neither side would be able to use their main radar as freely as we are anticipating, because that would considerably increase the chances of being caught by adversary’s EW suite (more specifically, RWR)

“In 2009, Lockheed Martin’s CATbird avionics testbed—a Boeing 737 that carries the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter’s entire avionics system—engaged a mixed force of F-22s and Boeing F-15s and was able to locate and jam F-22 radars, according to researchers.”

keep in mind, APG-77 is the best AESA out there that can change its frequency 1000times per second to keep its LPI. Yet it got caught on F-35's barracuda. ( an older version of F-35)

And in the near future, it is not only the TFX that will operate in MUM-T configuration. F-35 will also have the same ability.
And not only that, just like KE equipped with Gokdogan, USAF is also planning to integrate classified AIM-260 with its future drones as was recently revealed.

However, if you specifically mean Greek F-35 vs KAAN, then Hellenic AF probably wouldn’t have the advantage to apply MUM-T.
We only need to take into account Greek inventory, so no JATM or drone interoperation. But the aforementioned duo is more than enough to establish air superiority on their own. Let's keep spending our precious budget on 10 more different helicopter or tank projects..

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom