Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,532
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Did you guys know that 5.5% of Airbus belongs to Tusas?

source
Yasin Kaygusus of Tusas

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hurkus-Mam-L

1111_auto_x1_waifu2x_photo_noise1_scale_tta_1.png

Attachments

• 1111_auto_x1.jpg
    1111_auto_x1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Is that Airbus' share of ownership of Turkish defence companies?
TUSAS is/was partner and shareholder of Airbus Military* because it was part of the consortium to build Airbus A400M, just like Eurofighter consortium, Airbus Military was established to build A400M, and just like JSF etc Tusas is also building parts as partner, it was a very good deal for Turkey.. Then Airbus Military expand, merged and turned into Airbus Defence. But 5% was the share in Airbus Military*, Airbus Defence and Space is way too big with many shareholders, don't mixed them up. Airbus Military is just small part of Airbus defence which has been absorbed and defunct.. Airbus Defence is also itself subsidiary of Airbus.. so Tusas has small small share in it as partner.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,222
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
@Oublious
F-16E has a better radar than F-16V because it is specially cooled and purpose built instead of refitted, and the same applies for Turkish AESA refit probably unless they are changing cooling system completely. Simply the cooling for a platform built with a mechanical radar is not sufficient for the full capabilities of an AESA that needs liquid cooling.

Read this from Lockheed Martin spokesman

‘Elvis’ explained further, “It is not a Block 60. A 60 is only operated by one customer (U.A.E.) and there are specific structural differences between a 50, a 60 and a 70. It was specifically designed for that customer and specifically designed to accommodate a GE-132 engine. It was also designed to house a customer-unique electronic warfare and radar suite — liquid-cooled AESA radar.”

“If you look at the U.A.E. customer’s airplane, you’ll see that it’s got air scoots and pumps that aren’t present in normal F-16s. And the reason those are there is to accommodate the electronic warfare suite and the liquid cooling for the AESA radar,” he said.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Oublious
F-16E has a better radar than F-16V because it is specially cooled and purpose built instead of refitted, and the same applies for Turkish AESA refit probably unless they are changing cooling system completely. Simply the cooling for a platform built with a mechanical radar is not sufficient for the full capabilities of an AESA that needs liquid cooling.

Read this from Lockheed Martin spokesman

‘Elvis’ explained further, “It is not a Block 60. A 60 is only operated by one customer (U.A.E.) and there are specific structural differences between a 50, a 60 and a 70. It was specifically designed for that customer and specifically designed to accommodate a GE-132 engine. It was also designed to house a customer-unique electronic warfare and radar suite — liquid-cooled AESA radar.”

“If you look at the U.A.E. customer’s airplane, you’ll see that it’s got air scoots and pumps that aren’t present in normal F-16s. And the reason those are there is to accommodate the electronic warfare suite and the liquid cooling for the AESA radar,” he said.

This is not correct, AESA radars and it's sub-systems are far more compact...

SABR
AESA.jpg

AN-APG-68
1280px-AN-APG-68_radar,_Westinghouse,_1978_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00415.jpg

Also, Aselsan's AESA radar will be using GAN based transistors - thus will be many more times compact then even SABR AESA radar

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,222
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not about compact, I was under the impression they need more cooling to operate at their full capacity than platforms purpose built for mechanical radars can provide or risk overheating.

@RadarGudumluMuhimmat Could you explain further if I am correct?

Cooling depends on the amount of juice they are going to pump through the transistors, there are air-cooled AESA radars on the market. Either way, more than enough room in F-16 radar bay for active cooling should it be necessary.

RadarGudumluMuhimmat

Committed member
Reactions
1 619
Not about compact, I was under the impression they need more cooling to operate at their full capacity than platforms purpose built for mechanical radars can provide or risk overheating.

@RadarGudumluMuhimmat Could you explain further if I am correct?

If you want to give Aesa modules higher range or higher resolution than variable wavelengths, of course, you will need to give higher power, but this will require more cooling due to the laws of thermodynamics. What you are saying is true, after all, I'm sure LM engineers know more than anyone else here. The question is, is it really worth financing R&D?

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,222
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
If you want to give Aesa modules higher range or higher resolution than variable wavelengths, of course, you will need to give higher power, but this will require more cooling due to the laws of thermodynamics. What you are saying is true, after all, I'm sure LM engineers know more than anyone else here. The question is, is it really worth financing R&D?
I guess it depends, at the time the UAE had a very weak air force of just Mirage 2000s that would get steamrolled by anyone and I guess they wanted something that would allow them to outclass most of their regional air forces for the reasonable future not just an F-16C/D.

US had nothing out there that was a mid weight fighter with advanced capabilities for sale and the only option they had was to finance the F-16E unless they purchased F-15s which imo would be overkill for their small size.

The R&D was expensive I agree but the benefits outweigh the cons in my opinion, and in the long run it has allowed the UAE to form a very powerful air component.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
U.S. would never buy any fighter jets from abroad. Except GB.

Yup, that is true, although it could be made in Lockheed Martin, just like T 50 Golden Eagle proposal for training aircraft for US Air Force tender. But I am agree on you, the chance is very small.

Top Bottom