Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,264
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Russian or Chinese equipment should be out of question.
JF-17, don't know maybe as a last resort.
My choice for a stop gap would be FA-50 from Korea albeit could be subject to sanctions due to their GE engine.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
The Chinese can produce high-end electronics currently.

if purchase didn't make Türkiye leave NATO,as stopgap solution, I would go for turnkey J10C with adaptation of Turkish missiles/weapons.
Because adaptation of Turkish AESA radar, mission computer, avionics would take too long. Don't forget we have MMU project.

J10c is superior then jf17.
i dont understand what stop gap you guys look for. Look at Iran, they dont have jets for years now but who could attack them? You could simply push the productions of Khan, cruise missiles and nobody would dare to attack you. simple as that, especially when you locally make air to air, air defence, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, local mini submarine and so on..

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Look at s400. you payed 2.5 billion$ and it looks pointless after 5 years. hell knows how many project that money could push further. i could understand at that time as Turkey was not totally ready, but now, just go for TF 10000, kizilelma, TFX and so on. Also, Russia has the same engine technology Kizilelma use, so west wouldnt risk as it will push Turkey towards east blog. Sometimes you have to give up to gain something bigger and thats what Turkey needs to do now. i believe government also knows it. The whole f16 negotiation is just to show Turkish voters that they did their best to purchase and its the US found an excuse like in f35.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,379
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Look at s400. you payed 2.5 billion$ and it looks pointless after 5 years. hell knows how many project that money could push further. i could understand at that time as Turkey was not totally ready, but now, just go for TF 10000, kizilelma, TFX and so on. Also, Russia has the same engine technology Kizilelma use, so west wouldnt risk as it will push Turkey towards east blog. Sometimes you have to give up to gain something bigger and thats what Turkey needs to do now. i believe government also knows it. The whole f16 negotiation is just to show Turkish voters that they did their best to purchase and its the US found an excuse like in f35.
Only 1.2 billions package has been implemented. Looks like Turkey is never going to buy the second batch.

Manomed The Second

Committed member
Reactions
1 516
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Goverment crippled our ability to modernize the air force with their useless S400 purchase. we are looking for 10 maybe 15 years to see fully fledged MMU a jet thats not even entered serial production and we don't know how it will perform.

We are betting everything on MMU and that is not good not good at all I've seen people here saying Its better than F22 or F35 these jets are proven in combat and are in serial production we should not kid ourselves

Manomed The Second

Committed member
Reactions
1 516
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Also why are we even testing the aesa on akıncı It doesn't have sufficent power to test or use the radar Looks like a cheap pr for baykar again.

C-295 is a better contender to use for AESA testing not some drone with insufficent power supply.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,005
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Goverment crippled our ability to modernize the air force with their useless S400 purchase. we are looking for 10 maybe 15 years to see fully fledged MMU a jet thats not even entered serial production and we don't know how it will perform.

We are betting everything on MMU and that is not good not good at all I've seen people here saying Its better than F22 or F35 these jets are proven in combat and are in serial production we should not kid ourselves

I just want the MMU to fly I could careless if its inferior to the F35 and F22.

I know overtime it will be improved and made much better.

Americans and the Europeans wont sell us shit unless you suck their d's.

Russian and Chinese jets are inferior. I do like Soviet/Russian planes but they will never fit the Turkish military structure that is based on NATO.

Turkiye just has to go it alone albeit with lots of sacrifice and pain.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Buying S 400 was a decision of the type " damn I I do , damn I don't " . I think only by 2025 Siper will be fully operational, so in the period since getting S400 till the date when Siper becomes operational, there has been a huge gap in Turkish Air Defence capabilities. In the lights of the political and strategic situation which Turkiye has been facing Ankara or Istanbul had to be covered with something. Turkiye had to have something for that role and there wasn't anything available apart S 400. Also what could had happened if Spain withdrew its Patriots from South East?
The idea that Turkiye gives USA the access to S 400 is pure nonsense.
Firstly why Turkiye should give the access to its strategic weapons to anybody? No sovereign state does that . Secondly, knowing the Americans and their record over long period of time , there is no guarantee that they would have kept the bargain. Thirdly even in the case Turkiye gets F 35 , USA would end up controlling ( like with anybody) F35s and get for free the access to the premier Russian Air defence system.
I think that's a bit too much.

Last edited:

Manomed The Second

Committed member
Reactions
1 516
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Buying S 400 was a decision of the type " damn I I do , damn I don't " . I think only by 2025 Siper will be fully operational, so in the period since getting S400 till the date when Siper becomes operational, there has been a huge gap in Turkish Air Defence capabilities. In the lights of the political and strategic situation which Turkiye has been facing Ankara or Istanbul had to be covered with something. Turkiye had to have something for that role and there wasn't anything available apart S 400. Also what could had happened if Spain withdrew its Patriots from South East?
The idea that Turkiye gives USA the access to S 400 is pure nonsense.
Firstly why Turkiye should give the access to its strategic weapons to anybody? No sovereign state does that . Secondly, knowing the Americans and their record over long period of time , there is no guarantee that they would have kept the bargain. Thirdly even in the case Turkiye gets F 35 , USA would end up controlling ( like with anybody) F35s and get for free the access to the premier Russian Air defence system.
I think that's a bit too much.
S400 was bought because of shooting down of the russian su 24 goverment couldn't handle the pressure from russians we all know the truth.

S400 is a useless and old system

Manomed The Second

Committed member
Reactions
1 516
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That is not necessarily true, at least not according to Turkish Airforce, only complaint I remember about S400 was that it wasn't particularly good at tracking low and slow flying objects.
Air force never wanted these systems It was the goverments decision sadly

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,740
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Air force never wanted these systems It was the goverments decision sadly
I have no doubt air force would've preferred F-35 to S400 but to say that it is old and useless is a bit much. I still think it is the second biggest mistake this government made, right after their Syria strategy but what is done is done. Only positive from this purchase could be if our engineers learned something from its radars or missile tech, but even that is me trying to look at the glass as half full.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The integration activities of the new generation GaN-based Aesa radar into first F-16 has entered the final phase.
(via CnnTurk defense industry correspondent, Ahmet Melik Türkeş)

edit: the expression used is development, not integration, sory for that, here is the original tweet.
I made such a mistake because I did not check the original source. This news has already been shared by friends on the forum, weeks ago.

Last edited:

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,736
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The integration activities of the new generation GaN-based Aesa radar into first F-16 has entered the final phase.
(via CnnTurk defense industry correspondent, Ahmet Melik Türkeş)
What does that mean exactly?

- Is AESA radar ready?
- Is it ready and already delivered to to TAI?
- Or all of the above and it's "physically" being integrated?

And what about AKINCI? it should have received the radar a few months ago but there was no news(or photos) confirming it.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,033
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What does that mean exactly?

- Is AESA radar ready?
- Is it ready and already delivered to to TAI?
- Or all of the above and it's "physically" being integrated?

And what about AKINCI? it should have received the radar a few months ago but there was no news(or photos) confirming it.

Ahmet Akyol, Head of the SSB Electronic Warfare and Radar Systems Department:

"We have made nose radars (AESA) for our F-16s and UAVs. We are now in the testing and integration phase.

We will develop early warning and maritime surveillance radars integrated into UAVs. We are working on these.

There is a radar concept called passive radar, where the enemy cannot detect you. We have developed these domestically, and making them widespread is among our goals for the coming period."

And

In an interview with GDH, Prof. Dr. Haluk Görgün, General Manager of ASELSAN, announced that the MURAD AESA radar for the AKINCI TUAV will be delivered in less than a month.

Last edited:

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,736
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
And

In an interview with GDH, Prof. Dr. Haluk Görgün, General Manager of ASELSAN, announced that the MURAD AESA radar for the AKINCI TUAV will be delivered in less than a month.

That news is from December, hence the confusion.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mr Demir: "It (F16 upgrade) will be applied to Block 30 first, then Block 40 and Block 50. Together with the AESA radar and other systems, they will technologically reach the level of Blok 70, even beyond the Viper"

Top Bottom