Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
20 2,210
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Would it make sense to create a drone division / force within TurAF?
With that rapid advance in drone and missile technology, TurAF will get so many different platforms in the near future,
which will be able to perform CAS, CAP, SEAD and DEAD.
Maybe TurAF won`t be able to use and coordinate efficiently those platforms anymore, unlike the last few times.
So could a drone division ease the workload of TurAF?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm leaving a small bomb here. Turkish F-16s will have MUM-T capability Özgür capabilities are expanding but it probably won't be available initially. It might be introduced in FAZ-2 or FAZ-3. We have a good amount of 2-seat F-16s. This might be an insane capability uplift that no F-16 user can match as the US is not planning a MUM-T upgrade for F-16s.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Surprise. I saw this photo released today and this immediately caught my eye. AESA IFF system similar to the one on the block 70 viper.
f16block30.jpg

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,402
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Okay, that is interesting. But I found it on older F16s blocks too.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Okay, that is interesting. But I found it on older F16s blocks too.
I have never said it is a new thing for F-16s. For example, Turkish CCIP F-16s have it. It was in development for the Özgür program for a while.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,568
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tried looking up but came up empty handed. What does this retrofit entail?
Defence Turk piece regarding the retrofit of the 2nd plane mentions after the 2nd plane, 7 more would be retrofitted; but not 10, the total number we have. Did the 10th plane leave Spain with newer "batch", not needing a retrofit?

Asfat currently has a 2 hangar setup that can accommodate 2 A400s at the same time. Wonder if any foreign customers are on the horizon.

edit. As per the Defence Turkey piecei it's a 2 hangar setup but one of the hangars is for C-heck while the other is for retrofitting.
"The new A400M Maintenance-Repair-Repair (Retrophit) Hangar No. 6 has two chambers, and the A400M C-Check Overhol/FASBAT operation will be performed in one eye of the hangar and the Retrofit operation will be performed in the other."

"Hangar No.6, which A330 MRTT Aircraft with its 60m wingspan and can enter."
:sneaky:

Last edited:

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tried looking up but came up empty handed. What does this retrofit entail?
Defence Turk piece regarding the retrofit of the 2nd plane mentions after the 2nd plane, 7 more would be retrofitted; but not 10, the total number we have. Did the 10th plane leave Spain with newer "batch", not needing a retrofit?

Asfat currently has a 2 hangar setup that can accommodate 2 A400s at the same time. Wonder if any foreign customers are on the horizon.

edit. As per the Defence Turkey piecei it's a 2 hangar setup but one of the hangars is for C-heck while the other is for retrofitting.
"The new A400M Maintenance-Repair-Repair (Retrophit) Hangar No. 6 has two chambers, and the A400M C-Check Overhol/FASBAT operation will be performed in one eye of the hangar and the Retrofit operation will be performed in the other."

"Hangar No.6, which A330 MRTT Aircraft with its 60m wingspan and can enter."
:sneaky:

Do our A400Ms still fly completely defenseless? Other users have started integrating DIRCM onto their aircrafts as I know ours don't even have basic counter-measures. Has anything been done on that?

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,534
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
TUSAS integrated DIRCM for A-400s. But AFAIK they were not for Turkey, I think we will certainly, integrate national DIRCM to our own A-400s, but is there any news about it?

Osman

Committed member
Reactions
2 464
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do we have any detail about air to air refuelling capability of our a 400s ? How many of them will have this capability? How many f 16 can be refuelled in one sortie?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,568
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A400's can't refuel our F-16s. They can carry drogue pods under their wings allowing other A400's to refuel and aircraft from other countries. A400s have this capability, but I haven't seen it tried by HvKK, only other users.
unZBvG4.png

A400s themselves can also be only refueled by tankers with drogue pods. Our KC-135s can both carry these pods under their wings and also a drogue adaptor on their boom.

hqmnsXl.jpeg

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,568
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
As tankers are low number projects and the costs can balloon up pretty easily, especially in certification, I don't think Turkey will go about developing its own tanker to replace the KC-135s. Producing the Cobham underwing pods ourselves tho, that would be a lovely addition I think.

As KC-46 is, less than great, MRTT really looks like the only option as we will need conventional boom refueling capability for our F-16s and Kaan for decades to follow. Asenas were just recently updated to block 45 standard so we can say they still have some years under their belts.

Not sure on a future awacs using the 330 frame. I think we might just go unmanned there to complement the big manned ones. E-7Ts are new anyway. Maybe in 10-15 years 2-3 new ones as US will keep building it for themselves for the foreseeable future if we are not at war with each other.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,752
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
As tankers are low number projects and the costs can balloon up pretty easily, especially in certification, I don't think Turkey will go about developing its own tanker to replace the KC-135s. Producing the Cobham underwing pods ourselves tho, that would be a lovely addition I think.

As KC-46 is, less than great, MRTT really looks like the only option as we will need conventional boom refueling capability for our F-16s and Kaan for decades to follow. Asenas were just recently updated to block 45 standard so we can say they still have some years under their belts.

Not sure on a future awacs using the 330 frame. I think we might just go unmanned there to complement the big manned ones. E-7Ts are new anyway. Maybe in 10-15 years 2-3 new ones as US will keep building it for themselves for the foreseeable future if we are not at war with each other.

The Indian Air Force had a project over A330, I don't know if it is still active or at what stage. Maybe our Indian friends in the forum can give some details.
ESQeG4DXcAA17I7

As you know, A330s are huge platforms with a wingspan of 60 metres and offer a huge volume and lift capacity as well as a range of over 7000nm. On a platform like this, radar of any size can be integrated almost without any restrictions, and battle management and command-control can be provided with all kinds of systems on the aircraft. It can control tens of UAVs. Yes, it is too big, but size has some advantages as well as disadvantages. If all the subsystems of our new generation AEWCs, including the radar radome, are aimed for domestic industry, a path that is not too challenging in terms of optimisation can be followed. If Turkish airlines gives the A330s to the air force, which I think there are 9 of them: I think we can use two of them as the first leg of a programme like this.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom