Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,730
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Buying that much AA missiles and bombs when you can produce your own … We couldn’t have asked the US to integrate our own munitions into these new Vipers ?
I think the most right thing in this contract is the number of missiles. In fact, especially the anti-radiation missiles should have been more...

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We had to use this chance and purchase some more CH-47s.
+
More CH47 and a couple C-130 would have been nice. Maybe even trying to get a couple S70B or MH-60R for the Navy.

Seeing the amount of missiles and extra equipment softens the blow a bit. Especially good to see that they went for the C8 and AGM-88E and IRST pods.

This feels like the last time you go to a family event with your soon to be ex.

Looks like the Air Force asked for everything in large numbers to fill up the warehouses as well as enough maintanence equipment to last for the next decade or two.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,730
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Btw, I expect an announcement on EF acquisition very soon.

By 2030, my expectation for the general outlook of combatant fleets:

119 F-16-V
156 F-16-Özgür programs (inc blok-50s)
40 EF-T3
First active fleet of Kaan B-1 (14/20)

Last edited:

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,967
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why ordering over 800 GBU-39 and 1400 JDAM when our own industry produces similar weapons for a fraction of the US pricetag? Just add the integration of Turkish weapons to the F-16 deal, spare some money and support our own industry.

And 12 Mk-82 bombs what the f*ck?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
According to CnnGr, if contract can be signed within 6 months in 2024, Greece may receive its first F35 in 2028/29 and first F35 will be operational 16/18 months after receiving first one.

I think even these dates are very optimistic. It is not easy to make delivery before 2030.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,401
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
According to CnnGr, if contract can be signed within 6 months in 2024, Greece may receive its first F35 in 2028/29 and first F35 will be operational 16/18 months after receiving first one.

I think even these dates are very optimistic. It is not easy to make delivery before 2030.

Chezh Republic ordered the F-35 back in September/October period, and they are expecting to get the first delivered by 2031 and deliveries to be completed by 2035.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,730
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Chezh Republic ordered the F-35 back in September/October period, and they are expecting to get the first delivered by 2031 and deliveries to be completed by 2035.
As Cabatli üstad says, there is a sense that the US has decided to maintain a balance. If we can declare full operational capability in the KAAN program by 2033-35 range. They could have given the green light to Greece's request earlier and been among the lots that would have enabled delivery before 2030. If that was coupled with a decision not to approve any sale to TR, the US could have directly intervened in the balance.

Nothing has changed in the current and near future. But, at this point, the future of our air force will largely depend on the success of the KAAN program.

I also have to give another footnote. The Iranian air force has started procuring new platforms after a very long time. Deliveries of Iranian Su-35s start this year.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

119 F-16-V
40 EF-T3
I think if EF happens it will be the T4 variant which will go into production in the nearish future.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,390
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
what Turkey said doesn't really matter when it'll be the same congress that will be overlooking the sale and transfer. Correct me if I'm wrong, they passed an amendment to the budget last year forcing the State Dept to do exactly what Rodeo posted. This is not over until all aircraft are delivered to HvKK. This sale will be a huge weapon turned on our head until it's finished.

-
Going on the package,

C8 is a good missile, but why not D3? .

D-3 is only for domestic use afaik. C-3 is its export variant.

wolveray1

Committed member
Reactions
5 447
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Tbh why still buy it.
Seems to me 40 F35 usd8 billion greek will simply wipe out the usd23 billion F16.
Might as well put all these money on local investment like kizellima,Kaan,Anka 3 and engine .
Its not like Turkey will go to war with Nato within these few years.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,730
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think if EF happens it will be the T4 variant which will go into production in the nearish future.
Of course... Since the T4 is more Germanish, I wanted to make a safe guess. Also, which fleet it will go to will also be an important detail.

Turan

Reactions
1 350
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Tbh why still buy it.
Seems to me 40 F35 usd8 billion greek will simply wipe out the usd23 billion F16.
Might as well put all these money on local investment like kizellima,Kaan,Anka 3 and engine .
Its not like Turkey will go to war with Nato within these few years.
i am fully agree with you

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,695
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

To be honest F-16 production line has a huge backlog too so we are not getting the new F-16Vs anytime soon. Modernization kits are different though. IF LM can deliver the kits we can upgrade our own F-16s.

Turan

Reactions
1 350
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
If we are talking about a 23 billion dollar contract, I think Turkey would be better off looking at its own national projects. İn my opinion this seems like the most logical thing to do right now.

Spitfire9

Committed member
Reactions
6 372
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Even with everything else we are looking to buy, we got fucked so hard. I'll let someone else try to tally all of it up, but there is no way it would get anywhere close to being worth 23 fucking billion dollars. Unbelievable.
I believe that the US Congress clears export deals up to a certain value ie $23 billion is the most the deal could be worth, not the definitive contract value.

PS I guess that LM will be asking as high a price as they can squeeze out of Turkiye, given its urgent need to strengthen its fighter force.

Last edited:

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

119 F-16-V
40 EF-T3

Turkiye
315 Aircraft (with EF) with all last gen AESA and BVR + KAAN Block10/20(2030+) + Anka-3-4 (AESA), Kizilelma-B-C (AESA)

Greece
220 Aircraft with 108 of them (F16V+ Rafale F3R) have AESA and last gen BVR, 18 of them (Mirage-2000BG) will be out of the service until 2030 I guess and 24 of them (Mirage 2000-5) won't get any upgrade.

+ up to 40 F35A with No new missiles (2030+)

**F4's at both side are excluded

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,191
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
ANKA 3 remains the most critical short to mid term development for us until KAAN. At least a truly stealth deep strike platform can balance the books for retaliatory or strategic pre emptive deep strike. But nothing will replace an A2A stealth fighter.

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 968
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Damn. We are buying F16s like a third world country when we should be buying F35s. If you have bargaining power, you should use it for the F35.

And with 20 billion dollars we can finance all our military projects.

In fact, if we gave it to Pakistan, it would sell us nuclear bombs. It would help us to build nuclear bombs.
:D:p
The problem is that USA want to milk us with 23 billion just for 40 new and 79 upgraded f16 while perhaps with our money will give free weapons to ukraine zion regime , Israeli mass killers , Greeks and YPG terrorist and of course they need to milk someone to give all of this arms for free and they find us . If Turkiye accept this will be most stupid action by Turkiye since creation of state .

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom