Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus News & Update

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Erdogan: Mitsotakis, the friends you trusted left you alone. You will believe these “crazy” Turks. The only solution for Cyprus is based on two states. We are beyond the federation [concept]. We left it behind.

Talks seem to be going well.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
No it is separate, TSK (Cyprus Turkish Peace Force Command) and GKK (TRNC Security Forces Command) own different armored vehicles; we have Otokar Akreps, Engereks, Unimogs while TSK has ACV-300, M48, M113,M110s, MAN and BMC Trucks.. well maintenance wise may be some sort of cooperation exists but mostly barracks, trainings and responsibility area is different. TRNC troops are lightly armed, mostly infantry regiments ( we don't have tanks or mechanized divisions), TRNC toops are mostly spread across the border, securing the border while TSK troops are in the bases behind the line. Different inventory and different tasks.. I was also made my duty on the border and our battle plan is to hold enemy if they attack us, until TAF comes to aid :) that is the only objective.

If I were military procurement department here, I would go and buy second hand MAN trucks from UK or Netherlands. And many Umtas/Omtas for infantry, may be some UAVs, low cost but effective weapons. Once there was a commander who is enthusiast with new Turkish defence products. He wanted to buy Nurol Ejder 4x4 and Anka but later abandoned because of high price (at least $1m per ejder if I remember correctly) (BTW, GKK has a separate budget from the government, GKK gets a percentage of every import tax, also military aid from Turkey most of the time, despite not funded pass couple of years.)

Anyway we couldn't afford our UAVs but due to recent geopolitical tensions TAF put TB2s to Gecitkale Airport (Unfortunately this killed civil aviation events & trainings here, because no other airport left.) There was 2 civil airport (Ercan and Gecitkale) and one GKK small heliport /Airport in Kırnı Village, next to main base, may be TAF also used that base before.
Irrelevant to the subject of the article but only in which unit did you serve you did not tell us! XD
Did you forget to say about the Leopard 2A4 & the howitzer Firtina that are illegally located in Cyprus!
We do not reproduce the plan that an army has operationally on the internet. Do you think it would make sense for me to say what weapons systems the National Guard and ELDYK have or what military plan we had for our operations?
This is my opinion!

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Irrelevant to the subject of the article but only in which unit did you serve you did not tell us! XD
Did you forget to say about the Leopard 2A4 & the howitzer Firtina that are illegally located in Cyprus!
We do not reproduce the plan that an army has operationally on the internet. Do you think it would make sense for me to say what weapons systems the National Guard and ELDYK have or what military plan we had for our operations?
This is my opinion!
I already know what ELDYK or Greek National Guard have in Cyprus, your soldiers even share them on instagram (great discipline), what I said is not a secret either anyone with a TV can watch them every 20th of July :)) Battle plan is also not secret for 40 year, status quo. Why do you think bringing in M48, Bayraktar TB2 or T122 is ok but not Turkish made Fırtına? M110s will eventually be replaced and I haven't seen any Leo2 here, that was a rumor which could be arised from a false picture of an exercise no reason to bring them here as well. Nowadays you can find anything in these type of forums, internet or media.
Otokar ARMA 6x6 with 2x OMTAS and 1x 7.62 Turret

Interesting to note that Roketsan decided to use ARMA as demonstrator platform.

View attachment 15010
View attachment 15011
View attachment 15012

In my opinion, this is better weapon carrier than FNSS M113 derivatives.. I hope they place an order. First design of Arma (this one) is the best looking one among all Turkish 8x8s and 6x6 unfortunately neither Rabdan not Kazakhstan one looks like this. May be it is related with amphibious performance, changes hint that to me.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
I already know what ELDYK or Greek National Guard have in Cyprus, your soldiers even share them on instagram (great discipline), what I said is not a secret either anyone with a TV can watch them every 20th of July :)) Battle plan is also not secret for 40 year, status quo. Why do you think bringing in M48, Bayraktar TB2 or T122 is ok but not Turkish made Fırtına? M110s will eventually be replaced and I haven't seen any Leo2 here, that was a rumor which could be arised from a false picture of an exercise no reason to bring them here as well. Nowadays you can find anything in these type of forums, internet or media.

In my opinion, this is better weapon carrier than FNSS M113 derivatives.. I hope they place an order. First design of Arma (this one) is the best looking one among all Turkish 8x8s and 6x6 unfortunately neither Rabdan not Kazakhstan one looks like this. May be it is related with amphibious performance, changes hint that to me.
I can say with absolute certainty that in the TRNC there are MBT Leopard 2A4 & howitzer T-155 Fırtına. There are videos and photos that prove this.
Photographic material posted on Social Media on February 2, 2019 by a soldier of the 14th Armored Brigade in occupied Kythrea confirms the transfer of Leopard-2A4 tanks of the Turkish Army, painted in a desert variant, to the Occupied Territories.
Leopard 2A4 Kythrea
Leopard 2A4 Kythrea
At point 0:42 of the video, the MBT Leopard 2A4 is seen taking part in the military exercise that took place between Turkey and the TRNC.
Martyr Captain Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm 2020
The German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen said the following:
The deployment of Turkish Leopard 2A4 tanks in the Occupied Territories "was a purely Turkish decision".
The German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen in an interview given to the Cypriot newspaper "Politis".
The problem is that the balance of power in Cyprus is changing unilaterally. Greece and Turkey, according to the agreements they have signed, must transfer specific military power to Cyprus. But here Turkey has clearly violated what it has signed as a guarantor country! There are weapons systems in Cyprus that no one knows about, the same goes for military plans that exist in case of involvement. Do you think that you know in what situation and in what operational readiness the ELDYK or the National Guard is at the moment? You do not learn these and they do not come out on the internet. You can not draw a conclusion from a photo or a video. Such "posts" on the Internet can not replace the overall image of a professional soldier or a serving soldier.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
LOL who cares about some tanks. If any war breaks out on the island, the Greek Cypriot armed forces are going to lose in the same way the assadites, LNA and the Armenians have lost.
Who cares about some tanks, are you serious at all? We are talking about 42 MBT Leopard 2A4 which drastically change the power balance on the island. As a guarantor country, Turkey must reduce its military power based on what it has signed! Not to do the exact opposite. I do not know what the word "Assadites" means. LNA and Armenia are another case. Greece and Cyprus do not have the same military power as those you mentioned as an example.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,039
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Who cares about some tanks, are you serious at all? We are talking about 42 MBT Leopard 2A4 which drastically change the power balance on the island. As a guarantor country, Turkey must reduce its military power based on what it has signed! Not to do the exact opposite. I do not know what the word "Assadites" means. LNA and Armenia are another case. Greece and Cyprus do not have the same military power as those you mentioned as an example.

Those tanks could have been part of an exercise and frankly the pictures could be from anywhere. I dont see anything that proves its on Cyprus.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Those tanks could have been part of an exercise and frankly the pictures could be from anywhere. I dont see anything that proves its on Cyprus.
Even in the context of exercise, the MBT Leopard 2A4 are prohibited from being in Cypriot territory. The military exercise Martyr Captain Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm 2020, where the specific tanks are distinguished, took place on Cypriot territory between the Turkish Armed Forces and the TRNC. These plans were released by Turkey itself. This was also confirmed by the German Minister of Defense herself.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,039
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Even in the context of exercise, the MBT Leopard 2A4 are prohibited from being in Cypriot territory. The military exercise Martyr Captain Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm 2020, where the specific tanks are distinguished, took place on Cypriot territory between the Turkish Armed Forces and the TRNC. These plans were released by Turkey itself. This was also confirmed by the German Minister of Defense herself.

This is the first time i'm hearing it, do you have any source on the confirmation from Germany?

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
This is the first time i'm hearing it, do you have any source on the confirmation from Germany?
The German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen said the following:
The deployment of Turkish Leopard 2A4 tanks in the Occupied Territories "was a purely Turkish decision".
The German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen in an interview given to the Cypriot newspaper "Politis"
The confirmation of the German former Minister of Defense is one part. The confirmation material comes from the exercise of Turkey and TRNC (Martyr Captain Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm 2020) in the Fall of 2020 where Turkish Leopard 2A4 tanks appear.
At point 0:42 of the video

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,039
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Okay, it could be, not denying that. But the Videos of the Defence ministry are notoriously known to cut in old footage when deemed right. Wouldnt be the first time that videos were recycled.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Okay, it could be, not denying that. But the Videos of the Defence ministry are notoriously known to cut in old footage when deemed right. Wouldnt be the first time that videos were recycled.
This is a clear excuse. The specific tanks are forbidden to be there while the former Minister of Defense of Germany pretended not to know!
With this logic, Turkey clearly shows that it wants to officially secede from Cyprus on the basis of an agreement.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Can you elaborate?

You are saying Turkish Leos can't be deployed to Northern Cyprus?

Like we can deploy M60s but not Leos?
The second generation MBT M60 do not have the same power as the third generation MBT Leopard 2A4! What Turkey has done on the island is beyond its commitments as a guarantor country. Cyprus must have a specific firepower and a certain numerical strength in the southern and northern part. When these are violated then yes you are illegal.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Like Treaty of Lausanne and Paris Peace Treaty? :)
In the Treaty of Lausanne of 1924, Turkey relinquished all its rights to the Dodecanese and Cyprus in accordance with Articles 15 & 20 respectively. Turkey did not take part in the Paris Peace Treaty in 1947. If anyone wants to say anything about the militarization of the islands in the Dodecanese (which is illegal) this is Italy that gave them to us. It is important that the specific tanks are illegally located in Cyprus because they change the balance of power. Turkey threatened Cyprus with war over the purchase of the S-300 PMU1 anti-aircraft / anti-ballistic missile system because it threatened the security of the island. What security does the arrival of the MBT Leopard 2A4 provide? Turkey brings the Leopard 2A4 but does not want the Republic of Cyprus to bring the S-300 PMU1 to the island.

S

Sinan

The second generation MBT M60 do not have the same power as the third generation MBT Leopard 2A4! What Turkey has done on the island is beyond its commitments as a guarantor country. Cyprus must have a specific firepower and a certain numerical strength in the southern and northern part. When these are violated then yes you are illegal.
I was asking as if there is some specific treaty that we have violated?

S

Sinan

In the Treaty of Lausanne of 1924, Turkey relinquished all its rights to the Dodecanese and Cyprus in accordance with Articles 15 & 20 respectively.

ARTICLE 13.

With a view to ensuring the maintenance of peace, the Greek Government undertakes to observe the following restrictions in the islands of Mytilene, Chios, Samos and Nikaria:

(I) No naval base and no fortification will be established in the said islands.

(2) Greek military aircraft will be forbidden to fly over the territory of the Anatolian coast. Reciprocally, the Turkish Government will forbid their military aircraft to fly over the said islands.

(3) The Greek military forces in the said islands will be limited to the normal contingent called up for military service, which can be trained on the spot, as well as to a force of gendarmerie and police in proportion to the force of gendarmerie and police existing in the whole of the Greek territory.

Not gonna even enter Paris treaty.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
ARTICLE 13.

With a view to ensuring the maintenance of peace, the Greek Government undertakes to observe the following restrictions in the islands of Mytilene, Chios, Samos and Nikaria:

(I) No naval base and no fortification will be established in the said islands.

(2) Greek military aircraft will be forbidden to fly over the territory of the Anatolian coast. Reciprocally, the Turkish Government will forbid their military aircraft to fly over the said islands.

(3) The Greek military forces in the said islands will be limited to the normal contingent called up for military service, which can be trained on the spot, as well as to a force of gendarmerie and police in proportion to the force of gendarmerie and police existing in the whole of the Greek territory.

Not gonna even enter Paris treaty.
I know all this, but does not change the fact that these tanks are illegally located in Cyprus. That is why I also believe that the following should exist through a new agreement:
-Demilitarization of the islands of the Eastern Aegean and the coasts of Asia Minor.
-To remain the territorial waters of the coasts and islands of the Aegean islands at 6 nautical miles so that international waters do not close to the complex of Cyclades and Dodecanese
-To define the Aegean Sea as a riparian area so that the proclamation of the Exclusive Economic Zone by Greece and Turkey respectively is prohibited. This will automatically give equal rights to the international waters of the Aegean and to the exploitation of its fisheries.
But words are very far from action, you know.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom