Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, I don't think it is likely but I won't completely rule out such a move.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I've said it a few times before, but unless Turkish Cypriot population overtakes GC the current status won't be changed much. The "West" doesn't want to give in, nor do they feel obligated to do so.

I hope Maras will become the new capital and become something like Barcelona :) wouldn't be bad at all.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I've said it a few times before, but unless Turkish Cypriot population overtakes GC the current status won't be changed much. The "West" doesn't want to give in, nor do they feel obligated to do so.

I hope Maras will become the new capital and become something like Barcelona :) wouldn't be bad at all.
Beat the International law.. so world can beat you more.. hotels belong to international companies, greeks, houses belong to greeks.. yea lets grab it so they could sanction us more... RTE and Tatar made a show for election then silently they said, owners can come and apply to courts!.. International law is not a joke, and we have no intention to pay billions of compensation.. On the other hand, if Turkey is willing to buy/pay, I don't mind.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

I don't think anybody disagrees with you on that but I think the Local Population wouldn't like that at all.

The Turkish Government apparently favors settling of Conservatives rather than Progressives which would Harmonize much better IMO.

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
5 3,560
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria
He'll declare his intention to incorporate the territory of NC into the Republic of Turkey if the EU won't change her stance on this issue fundamentally. A timeline (more like a deadline) will be given, too.

The deadline will be some day in 2023 for sure. 😁

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,604
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
1622326032180.png

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Beat the International law.. so world can beat you more.. hotels belong to international companies, greeks, houses belong to greeks.. yea lets grab it so they could sanction us more... RTE and Tatar made a show for election then silently they said, owners can come and apply to courts!.. International law is not a joke, and we have no intention to pay billions of compensation.. On the other hand, if Turkey is willing to buy/pay, I don't mind.
I understand the dilemma. And we've talked about it before, but status quo is not in KKTC favor. Especially not since GC was allowed to join EU.

I think it's necessary to break through just as Israel is pushing out Palestinians. I think it should be possible to push out people and their claims.

If KKTC has opened up for G.C. to claim their property and pay tax etc. whatever to KKTC then that is a step forward. At least that's what I am thinking. Those who do not claim their property can be given notices etc. whatever. If the buildings are not maintained and might collapse, you can use laws to document it and give public notice on it, in the gazette, and then finally tear it down and send the cost to the land owner.

You can do a lot of things. But anything is better than waiting for some miracle to happen when you don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

In fact as I see it the only light at the end of the tunnel is absolute majority. That is an undeniable fact that can change everything.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

I understand the dilemma. And we've talked about it before, but status quo is not in KKTC favor. Especially not since GC was allowed to join EU.

I think it's necessary to break through just as Israel is pushing out Palestinians. I think it should be possible to push out people and their claims.

If KKTC has opened up for G.C. to claim their property and pay tax etc. whatever to KKTC then that is a step forward. At least that's what I am thinking. Those who do not claim their property can be given notices etc. whatever. If the buildings are not maintained and might collapse, you can use laws to document it and give public notice on it, in the gazette, and then finally tear it down and send the cost to the land owner.

You can do a lot of things. But anything is better than waiting for some miracle to happen when you don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

In fact as I see it the only light at the end of the tunnel is absolute majority. That is an undeniable fact that can change everything.
Mate this has been already in place since 2008, there is a court in the North approved by EU as sole authority to decide. Process is already ongoing but so slow because we don't have funds to buy or pay compensation. Opening Varosha is not new either, Denktas offered it in 80s, Akıncı offered it in 2015, Kudret Ozersay said it will be opened under TRNC rule by inviting Greek residents to apply.. Just for election Tatar and RTE stole the show and acted like they don't care about agreements or international law which erased all our efforts to show the world that we are trying to solve and greeks are the real jerks.

Populism! fucked all reputation and people in Turkey don't understand anything about it, they only cheer to news without knowing the facts. We never wanted a federation or living as a minority under Greeks, we were just acting like good kids and piece by piece embargoes were dissolving, you can see how GDP of TRNC spiked after 2003 and in recent 10 year despite RTE lira. All this populism is a hoax just like they say Immamoğlu is a greek, din elden gidiyeah, foreign powers are jealous about us, they are attacking our economy.. All just bullshit, nobody were waiting we were just doing the right steps without rushing but now the bus is driven by populist kids, soon it may crash.

Last edited:

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
So EOKA won the elections in Cyprus.

How eoka won the elections :unsure: same parties are ruling.. If you are talking about radical ELAM which founded 10 years ago. They increased their votes from 3.7% to 6.8% (from 2 PM to 4 PM), yes it is notable. But It is not surprising that radical nationalism is increasing in the South while they feel that tensions in and around the island is rising. I sometimes take a look at their newspapers, they are even more tense than Greece, feeling threatened and afraid of a war so that helps those racists to increase their votes for sure.

Recently a famous Danish techno DJ supposed to come North to give a livestream concert in an ancient castle. Event was promoted everywhere and hate comments were everywhere from butthurt Greeks, they threatened the DJ and organizers causing the event to got cancelled. Radicalism is on the rise for sure.

Footnote: ELAM got 8.3% in European Parliament elections in 2019, the election that also 1 Turkish Cypriot also elected as PM.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
When EOKA doubles its votes it is the winning party regardless of who rules the country. The government can't turn a blind eye to them anymore.

Last edited:

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,081
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
When EOKA doubles its votes it is the winning party regardless of who rules the country. The government can't turn a blind eye to them anymore.

Countries worldwide have been ignoring communist and far right parties for decades. I dont agree with your statement

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Countries worldwide have been ignoring communist and far right parties for decades.

Yes, and it is coming to an end. For example, in Germany AfD is under surveillance. Greece closed down the Golden Dawn. I can list more.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

Cyprus checkpoints linking Turkish, Greek sides reopen​

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/diplomacy/cyprus-checkpoints-linking-turkish-greek-sides-reopen

Checkpoints reopened along the United Nations-patrolled cease-fire line that divides the Turkish and Greek sides of the island of Cyprus Friday as the coronavirus restrictions first imposed 15 months ago were finally eased.

https://www.reuters.com/world/cyprus-checkpoints-sealed-by-covid-19-reopen-june-4-un-2021-06-02/

Cyprus checkpoints linking Greek and Turkish sides to reopen Friday - UN​

Reuters
People walk next to the closed Ledra checkpoint of the U.N.-controlled buffer zone in Nicosia,  Cyprus June 2, 2021. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

A Turkish Cypriot man wearing a face mask crosses Ayios Dhometios checkpoint on a bicycle, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in Nicosia, Cyprus June 21, 2020. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

People walk next to the closed Ledra checkpoint of the U.N.-controlled buffer zone in Nicosia,  Cyprus June 2, 2021. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

A Turkish Cypriot man wearing a face mask crosses Ayios Dhometios checkpoint on a bicycle, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in Nicosia, Cyprus June 21, 2020. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

Checkpoints linking the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides of Cyprus are to reopen on Friday, the United Nations said, marking the first time restrictions have been eased since December 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Cyprus is split between its Greek and Turkish Cypriot populations, with a number of designated checkpoints controlling movements between the north and south of the island.
The sealed checkpoints up-ended the lives of thousands who would cross the island daily either for work, family commitments or just to meet friends. On some days, kilometre-long queues would form at vehicle crossings.
"The reopening of all crossing points will facilitate free movement, promote people-to-people contacts, build trust and have an overall positive socio-economic impact across the island for the benefit of all Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots," the U.N. mission on Cyprus, UNFICYP, said in a statement.

A committee of health experts from both sides will assess the impact of the opening on the pandemic. People who cross will require a 7-day negative antigen test or PCR test, the peacekeeping mission said.
Vehicle and pedestrian crossings have been subject to on-and-off closures since February 2020, when the Greek Cypriot side shut the checkpoints for the first time in almost two decades as a precaution.
Since then there has been some easing of restrictions, but different rules on each side made crossings impossible for many.
"It affected many people, couples, families, people working on both sides of the divide as well as having an economic impact," said Kemal Baykalli, a member of the peace platform, Unite Cyprus Now.

Cyprus was split in a Turkish invasion in 1974, triggered by a brief Greek Cypriot coup. Peace talks have faltered many times, and the conflict remains a source of tension between NATO allies Greece and Turkey.
"I think what this has shown us is that what we take for granted can easily be taken away from us in the lack of a settlement," Baykalli said.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,604
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

Cyprus checkpoints linking Turkish, Greek sides reopen​

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/diplomacy/cyprus-checkpoints-linking-turkish-greek-sides-reopen

Checkpoints reopened along the United Nations-patrolled cease-fire line that divides the Turkish and Greek sides of the island of Cyprus Friday as the coronavirus restrictions first imposed 15 months ago were finally eased.

https://www.reuters.com/world/cyprus-checkpoints-sealed-by-covid-19-reopen-june-4-un-2021-06-02/

Cyprus checkpoints linking Greek and Turkish sides to reopen Friday - UN​

Reuters

Checkpoints linking the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides of Cyprus are to reopen on Friday, the United Nations said, marking the first time restrictions have been eased since December 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Cyprus is split between its Greek and Turkish Cypriot populations, with a number of designated checkpoints controlling movements between the north and south of the island.
The sealed checkpoints up-ended the lives of thousands who would cross the island daily either for work, family commitments or just to meet friends. On some days, kilometre-long queues would form at vehicle crossings.
"The reopening of all crossing points will facilitate free movement, promote people-to-people contacts, build trust and have an overall positive socio-economic impact across the island for the benefit of all Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots," the U.N. mission on Cyprus, UNFICYP, said in a statement.

A committee of health experts from both sides will assess the impact of the opening on the pandemic. People who cross will require a 7-day negative antigen test or PCR test, the peacekeeping mission said.
Vehicle and pedestrian crossings have been subject to on-and-off closures since February 2020, when the Greek Cypriot side shut the checkpoints for the first time in almost two decades as a precaution.
Since then there has been some easing of restrictions, but different rules on each side made crossings impossible for many.
"It affected many people, couples, families, people working on both sides of the divide as well as having an economic impact," said Kemal Baykalli, a member of the peace platform, Unite Cyprus Now.

Cyprus was split in a Turkish invasion in 1974, triggered by a brief Greek Cypriot coup. Peace talks have faltered many times, and the conflict remains a source of tension between NATO allies Greece and Turkey.
"I think what this has shown us is that what we take for granted can easily be taken away from us in the lack of a settlement," Baykalli said.

What is the protocol of crossing from the one side to the other?

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
What is the protocol of crossing from the one side to the other?
Turkish Cypriots, Greek Cypriots and Others (mostly Brits and EU citizen) can cross the border for a day with a negative PCR test result obtained in last 7 days. Greek side already vaccinated majority of the population and they recently ended lockdown which nearly lasted 6 months. TRNC was extremely successful until December but for tourism they allow people without quarantine in December and we are still suffering the cases from that 1 month. But now both sides are fine

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,604
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish Cypriots, Greek Cypriots and Others (mostly Brits and EU citizen) can cross the border for a day with a negative PCR test result obtained in last 7 days. Greek side already vaccinated majority of the population and they recently ended lockdown which nearly lasted 6 months. TRNC was extremely successful until December but for tourism they allow people without quarantine in December and we are still suffering the cases from that 1 month. But now both sides are fine
Visa is needed right?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom