Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,740
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TRG-230-IHA can reach over 200km on the Akıncı platform when it is fired with a possible ballistic trajectory. It can reach 140-150km when fired in a near-linear trajectory.
TRLG-230, TRG-122, and TRLG-122 will be integrated into the Akıncı platform.

Baykar's Fergani space company is developing small satellites, small satellite constellations, and space tugs to deliver those satellites to different orbits in a single launch. DeltaV is heavily involved in the projects.

Baykar started testing the Sungur MANPADS missile on TB2. It will also be integrated into Akıncı.
Baykar plans to fire Gökdoğan and Bozdoğan missiles from the Akıncı next year with Aselsan Murad AESA radar ready on the platform.

Aselsan delivered 80 CATS so far this year to 10 different countries. Aselsan will deliver 100 CATS(8+ CATS per month in 2022) this year. Aselsan plans to reach a production rate of 20 CATS-class products in a month. Aselsan will start the test campaign of F500C early next year.

Aselsan will deliver the first Murad AESA radar for the Akıncı platform in less than a month. Aselsan expects Baykar to integrate Murad really fast. Aselsan is designing a fully automated production line for radar production called dark factory.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I thought a lot about how to use the Akıncı&KE pair. With your permission, I will share these ideas here as well.

Let's start with the engines of these platforms. First of all, I think we should make Akıncı's engines one type. And we should choose these engines from TS-1400 derived turbo prop engines. It should be our first job after Gökbey integration. As for KE, we have a significant amount of AI-25TLT engines, including spare engines. We were able to produce with those engines until the TF-6000/10000 matures.

If Akıncı and Kızılelma don't have engine problems, and it seems that they don't, I think our goal should not only be to reduce burden of F16s with them. Instead, we should aim to replace our entire fleet of F16s with a fleet of drones, if necessary! So, whether the USA sells us F16s or not, we shouldn't need F16s.

All right, but how do we do this?

Here's what I'm thinking: We're going to use Akıncı as an "in air sniper". KE will be the "in air soldier" fighting on the front line. Some Akıncıs (missile trucks) will carry guided artillery rockets, cruise missiles and very long range air-to-air missiles. Some Akıncıs will be scouts, namely "UAV AWACS". Some KEs will engage in air-to-air combat. And some KEs will also make an air-ground attack.

Thus, with the (Akıncı&KE) duo, any task done with our F16s can be performed. IMO we can reach this goal in just 3 years.

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Akıncı & KE duo use is not a good idea,one is lowRCS the other one is highRCS,you do not want to sacrifice RCS value of KE.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,289
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I thought a lot about how to use the Akıncı&KE pair. With your permission, I will share these ideas here as well.

Let's start with the engines of these platforms. First of all, I think we should make Akıncı's engines one type. And we should choose these engines from TS-1400 derived turbo prop engines. It should be our first job after Gökbey integration. As for KE, we have a significant amount of AI-25TLT engines, including spare engines. We were able to produce with those engines until the TF-6000/10000 matures.

If Akıncı and Kızılelma don't have engine problems, and it seems that they don't, I think our goal should not only be to reduce burden of F16s with them. Instead, we should aim to replace our entire fleet of F16s with a fleet of drones, if necessary! So, whether the USA sells us F16s or not, we shouldn't need F16s.

All right, but how do we do this?

Here's what I'm thinking: We're going to use Akıncı as an "in air sniper". KE will be the "in air soldier" fighting on the front line. Some Akıncıs (missile trucks) will carry guided artillery rockets, cruise missiles and very long range air-to-air missiles. Some Akıncıs will be scouts, namely "UAV AWACS". Some KEs will engage in air-to-air combat. And some KEs will also make an air-ground attack.

Thus, with the (Akıncı&KE) duo, any task done with our F16s can be performed. IMO we can reach this goal in just 3 years.
Good point. I can extend this one a bit. For A2A miisions, my thinking goes like this:

1- First things first; we need eyes. AWACS, mini-AWACS (Akıncı variant, maybe), relay drones,

2- Next thing is to pin the enemy and conduct aerial combat in relatively close distances. This is Kızılelma's domain, for sure. But because the aim is to "fix" the enemy, so we can use less expensive options, like Şimşek. Also, some othe UAV's may be designated and armed as bait. I think this role is hella important.

3- In the end, we need something to destroy the enemy attack aircraft. Kızılelma's can do this from far or from close. But I think if we are talking about a near-peer, our best bet would be a drone that can reach very high altitudes, has very little RCS, firing multiple BVRAAMs. My dream scenario is Anka-3 a.k.a. TİSU being this.

4- Also, we need a cheap MALE drone hunter. I imagine a more agile and unmanned Hürkuş would be perfect for it. Engaging enemy UAVs WW2 style. Would be very cheap, too. They could take on the role of bait as well.

Needless to say, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur. So take this info with a grain of salt.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,180
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Good point. I can extend this one a bit. For A2A miisions, my thinking goes like this:

1- First things first; we need eyes. AWACS, mini-AWACS (Akıncı variant, maybe), relay drones,

2- Next thing is to pin the enemy and conduct aerial combat in relatively close distances. This is Kızılelma's domain, for sure. But because the aim is to "fix" the enemy, so we can use less expensive options, like Şimşek. Also, some othe UAV's may be designated and armed as bait. I think this role is hella important.

3- In the end, we need something to destroy the enemy attack aircraft. Kızılelma's can do this from far or from close. But I think if we are talking about a near-peer, our best bet would be a drone that can reach very high altitudes, has very little RCS, firing multiple BVRAAMs. My dream scenario is Anka-3 a.k.a. TİSU being this.

4- Also, we need a cheap MALE drone hunter. I imagine a more agile and unmanned Hürkuş would be perfect for it. Engaging enemy UAVs WW2 style. Would be very cheap, too. They could take on the role of bait as well.

Needless to say, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur. So take this info with a grain of salt.
Why do we need unmanned Hürkuş? I think it's a bit of fantasy. We can just use Akıncı with aesa radar as a drone hunter.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,289
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why do we need unmanned Hürkuş? I think it's a bit of fantasy. We can just use Akıncı with aesa radar as a drone hunter.
Mostly for cost. No guided munitions, 80 years old tech, ease of mass production etc.

Edit: I just thought of something. This concept could very well be the "wing loong hunter" for our allies. Drone proliferation is already here. Everyone and their moms are going to acquire MALE UCAV's or at least try to. What I propose is a UCAV that fulfills the role of bait and UCAV destroyer. They can attack other slow moving targets such as helicopters too, if programmed. Even ground targets, maybe. They'll just have 20mm cannons, maybe something lighter. Good agility for a turboprop. I don't see why not.

Look at the costs: A ww2 level motor, ww2 level airframe, semi-decent radar (non-AESA), auto-cannon, comm link, mission computer, sensors. Only thing that will cost real money will be sensors and maybe the mission computer. I think we can produce this en masse for very little cost. Everything is within our means.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hürjet can speed up to 575 km/h which can make a difference in some cases whereas Akıncı can go as fast as 370 km/h. 55% faster.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,180
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mostly for cost. No guided munitions, 80 years old tech, ease of mass production etc.

Edit: I just thought of something. This concept could very well be the "wing loong hunter" for our allies. Drone proliferation is already here. Everyone and their moms are going to acquire MALE UCAV's or at least try to. What I propose is a UCAV that fulfills the role of bait and UCAV destroyer. They can attack other slow moving targets such as helicopters too, if programmed. Even ground targets, maybe. They'll just have 20mm cannons, maybe something lighter. Good agility for a turboprop. I don't see why not.

Look at the costs: A ww2 level motor, ww2 level airframe, semi-decent radar (non-AESA), auto-cannon, comm link, mission computer, sensors. Only thing that will cost real money will be sensors and maybe the mission computer. I think we can produce this en masse for very little cost. Everything is within our means.
I think it's not economic to transform a basic trainer aircraft to a spesific drone hunter which has only 20mm cannons.We have different flexible platforms which we can use effectively.I don't think it's cost effective.

Hürjet can speed up to 575 km/h which can make a difference in some cases whereas Akıncı can go as fast as 370 km/h. 55% faster.
Then we can use KE with 20 mm gun pod on it's wing if the speed is problem.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,289
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yeah, but Akıncı is more valuable and its means of A2A combat is expensive. I'm talking about a reusable system. 20mm cannons, cheap as hell. Essentially an automated MALE drone hunter.

One is lost? No biggie. Was is anti-air? counterbattery fire. Was it other aircraft? KE.

I can't calculate how economic or useful this might be. But seems doable. I feel this thing would have export potential for armed forces who are struggling with enemy drones but have no money.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,289
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think it's not economic to transform a basic trainer aircraft to a spesific drone hunter which has only 20mm cannons.We have different flexible platforms which we can use effectively.I don't think it's cost effective.

Then we can use KE with 20 mm gun pod on it's wing if the speed is problem.
Cost effectiveness side, I don't know. But keeping a few of these things in the air would deny enemy UCAVs the airspace and costs pennies to operate. Cheap ammunition, too. I think it would be a good investment.

Akıncı gun pod thing wouldn't cut it, Akıncı is not agile enough and I'm not sure its airframe is suited for gun pods strapped to its wings.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yeah, but Akıncı is more valuable and its means of A2A combat is expensive. I'm talking about a reusable system. 20mm cannons, cheap as hell. Essentially an automated MALE drone hunter.

One is lost? No biggie. Was is anti-air? counterbattery fire. Was it other aircraft? KE.

I can't calculate how economic or useful this might be. But seems doable. I feel this thing would have export potential for armed forces who are struggling with enemy drones but have no money.
I am talking "in some cases" when taking out the target is more neceessary than saving money.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You want a diversified toolset in your toolbox just in case the little extra capability can make a difference and win you a war. Having the platform already takes you 90% of the way already and you need to add a 10% to get there.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,843
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The moments before takeoff

Like Neil Amstrong's first steps on moon.

But this time, it is not about the beginning of man's space adventure, but the first steps towards an age of machines that can think and function like humankind.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,927
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Like Neil Amstrong's first steps on moon.

But this time, it is not about the beginning of man's space adventure, but the first steps towards an age of machines that can think and function like humankind.
Time to rewatch Matrix Trilogy.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,180
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Cost effectiveness side, I don't know. But keeping a few of these things in the air would deny enemy UCAVs the airspace and costs pennies to operate. Cheap ammunition, too. I think it would be a good investment.

Akıncı gun pod thing wouldn't cut it, Akıncı is not agile enough and I'm not sure its airframe is suited for gun pods strapped to its wings.
I'm thinking a little bit more logisticly. For me it doesn't make sense to make a special platform for every special mission , it would be a logistic nightmare. Besides , there are many ground and air systems on a wide scale. Some of them already developed or under developement.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom