Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
134 15,713
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Since Türkiye's twin-engine UCAVs (in development) will hit supersonic speeds, would it make sense to implement Divertless Supersonic inlet (DSI)?
Diverterless Supersonic Inlet with its ugly bump is an ingenious invention of an Italian scientist, Antonio Ferri in the 1950s. However it could not be exploited to the full then, due to the lack of computer power to implement it fully, through Computational Fluid Dynamics.
It solves the unwanted interference of boundary layer airflow problems without any moving parts and imparts low RCS characteristics to the plane by hiding the fanblades of the engine.

If you check the intake of f22, it uses a serpentine shaped ramp intake, that has a gap between the fuselage and the inlet to stop the boundary layer airflow to impede with inlet’s airflow.

1726833743790.jpeg

But if you look at the YF35’s DSI set up, it has a bump to deflect and decrease supersonic air flow speed to give controlled air pressure to the compressors.
The function of the air intake is mainly to prevent boundary layer ingestion and pressure recovery across various angles of attack. They accomplish this feat by separating the turbulent boundary layer of the fuselage from the air entering the compressor via different means and they control the location of shock waves formed in them.
The DSI achieves this with more than 95% efficiency.

1726834133015.jpeg

There are however certain limitations; because the DSI has no moving parts and they provide most efficient pressure recovery only at a particular Mach numbers, usually between Mach 1-2. The efficiency decreases with both positive and negative deviation from the sweet spot. Therefore, an intake with a mobile device such as a cone or a ramp can be efficient at larger range of Mach as they can mechanically move the mobile devices to control the position of the shock wave.

Since modern fighters are not limited by speed/ thrust and rather emphasise on low observability, it is not surprising that we are now seeing the DSI application in a variety of combat platforms more and more.

somegoodusername

Reactions
1 168
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I thought the first prototype would have it.
Mate, these are regular aircraft development phases. Western aircrafts have average 9-11 prototypes in development phase. Some of them is only used for ground tests, some of them is only used for testing flight dynamics, some of them is only used for testing the avionics, and some of them is used for weapon integration. This is just the first prototype. It would be normal if it didn't even fly.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
12 3,295
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
And here's the first flight of Kızılelma PT-3, finally! As expected, no AB action for the first flight, pretty regular.

I really, kind of desperately, hope this prototype also have an IWB so that they can start weapons testing as soon as possible. I can't wait until it starts flying with TF6000, I might even fucking cry on that day 🥺

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
87 11,232
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I really, kind of desperately, hope this prototype also have an IWB so that they can start weapons testing as soon as possible. I can't wait until it starts flying with TF6000, I might even fucking cry on that day 🥺
If Baykar's social media activities during the AKINCI and TB-3 test processes continue, we will see more test footage being shared than we would like. So much so that after a while we won't even share some of them here :) The long and arduous journey of KE begins.

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
30 3,498
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I can't wait until it starts flying with TF6000

Maybe it will never fly with TEI made engines.

[...] Haluk Bayraktar adds: “Last year, Baykar decided to invest in engines. We will invest $300 million into engine production within the next five years. Within four years, we will be building Bayraktar KIZILELMA’s engine." [...]

bruhman

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Haluk Bayraktar adds: “Last year, Baykar decided to invest in engines. We will invest $300 million into engine production within the next five years. Within four years, we will be building Bayraktar KIZILELMA’s engine."

To this day I still cant understand wtf baykar was thinking with this. How can they possibly leapfrog tei.

Guess it's either an issue of logistics (they dont think tei can deliver??) or politics..

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
30 3,498
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
To this day I still cant understand wtf baykar was thinking with this. How can they possibly leapfrog tei.

Guess it's either an issue of logistics (they dont think tei can deliver??) or politics..

Baykar wants to produce turbofan engines for their own products there are reasons for that. They won't compete with TEI and they can't.
Baykar might be sanctioned in the future which means Baykar might lose access to TEI engines.
Baykar is also afraid of government change. It can effect their relations with companies like TEI, TUSAS and Aselsan.
Baykar is competing with TUSAS. TUSAS owns TEI. TUSAS has platforms like ANKA 3/4 and it won't be a surprise if a Kızılelma competitor appears. I don't think Baykar and TUSAS are getting TF6000 from TEI at the same price as TUSAS literally owns TEI.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
12 3,295
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

[...] Haluk Bayraktar adds: “Last year, Baykar decided to invest in engines. We will invest $300 million into engine production within the next five years. Within four years, we will be building Bayraktar KIZILELMA’s engine." [...]

That's interesting, because it has been mentioned multiple times that it would use TF6000. Given that designing, testing and producing an engine takes a long time (and 300 million is really not that much to invest in engines), perhaps TF6000 can be a short term option while Baykar designs its own engine for the future. Perhaps for the two engine variant, that's supposed to be the final form of KE.

somegoodusername

Reactions
1 168
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will they drain engineers from TEI to advance their project? The TF-6000 is a highly advanced engine incorporating the latest technologies, including very hard to develop components like single-crystal turbine blades. What they are doing is no small job. They have decades of experience in the field. Was working with universities for years in order to develop latest technologies out there. I don't appreciate scorning the against TEI. They are doing phenomenal job compared to other engine developers globally.

I’m not sure Turkey has the human resource capacity for two firms operating in the same field. France, UK, and many other large industrial countries don't have two engine manufacturers. Unless Baykar aiming for something less advanced, perhaps relying on tech transfer and licensed production of Ukrainian engines.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
11 1,429
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will they drain engineers from TEI to advance their project? The TF-6000 is a highly advanced engine incorporating the latest technologies, including very hard to develop components like single-crystal turbine blades. What they are doing is no small job. They have decades of experience in the field. Was working with universities for years in order to develop latest technologies out there. I don't appreciate scorning the against TEI. They are doing phenomenal job compared to other engine developers globally.

I’m not sure Turkey has the human resource capacity for two firms operating in the same field. France, UK, and many other large industrial countries don't have two engine manufacturers. Unless Baykar aiming for something less advanced, perhaps relying on tech transfer and licensed production of Ukrainian engines.
It's most likely a modified version of Al 322

bruhman

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It's most likely a modified version of Al 322
I've heard of this as a theory too and it's the most credible one. With baykar and Ukraine 's good relations and the impossibility of making an engine this size from scratch in 4 years. Plus the investment being frankly a pathetic amount for a turbofan r&d from nothing.

Still though, what a waste. You have a clean sheet, modern design on the one end and some soviet leftover on the other. Sure they can modify it or whatever but tf6000 most probably has a lot more room to grow while baykar will be limited by soviet tooling and fundamentals.

I refuse to believe intranational politics being the reason for refusing TEI (if baykar truly fears a changing government they have a lot more issues than just not getting engines from tei lol) but if so, man that's shit.

It's still such a waste of manpower and a waste of KE's potential.

Last edited:

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
11 1,429
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I've heard of this as a theory too and it's the most credible one. With baykar and Ukraine 's good relations and the impossibility of making an engine this size from scratch in 4 years. Plus the investment being frankly a pathetic amount for a turbofan r&d from nothing.

Still though, what a waste. You have a clean sheet, modern design on the one end and some soviet leftover on the other. Sure they can modify it or whatever but tf6000 most probably has a lot more room to grow while baykar will be limited by soviet tooling and fundamentals.

I refuse to believe intranational politics being the reason for refusing TEI (if baykar truly fears a changing government they have a lot more issues than just not getting engines from tei lol) but if so, man that's shit.

It's still such a waste of manpower and a waste of KE's potential.
I hear good things about the people they have and the speed with which they are progressing

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom