Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,133
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Not only the Russians had new equipment.

They barely used them or even had enough to invade Ukraine.

What a clown show.

In short the Russians were not evem prepared to fight a full scale war because their armed forces are not just old but barely modernised all that modernisation plans only went slow.

The problem is even bigger than I thought.

Ukraine has achieved more with ita reforms in 10 years than the decades of Russian modernisation.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,497
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
tbh, That is huge if it is true. Even though Kinzal is not as manuaverable as HGV, still its depressed trajectory and moderate manuaverablity coupled with its hypersonic speed makes it difficult to shoot down with convenional ABM systems.

Also it speaks for the fact that, how good actually PAC-3 decade old radar is.
(I think lot of people these days makes fuss about PESA and AESA classifications without totally understanding their actual implications on operational level)

And the best operational advantage of this PAC-3 battery for Ukraine in my opinion is, it will allow them for full scale permanent operational activities in airbases within protective baubles without their high value Air assets being at high risk of taken out on the ground by Russian balistic missile strikes.
@Gary @UkroTurk

The PAC-3 and the navy SM Standard series missile are likely the most tested ABM system right now, so no wonder that continuous fixing and upgrade made it the monster on the battlefield today. The US military tested their missile against multiple type of trajectory, speed and and vector of attack regularly.

This is why the US MIC has no equal in the world today, not only they have the technology, funds and human capital, continuous real life testing ensures they know what to fix and where to fix. Just look at the F-35 and ask yourself why is no one able to come close in performance and spec.

It just happens that nobody push their people and equipment further to the limit than the US military does.

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,446
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
New BMP-3 batch to be sent to the front.

FvRaXI8XwAEME71
FvRaXI-WcAA0CQ0
FvRaXI8WwAEY2kF
FvRaXI_XgAElUUW

BMP 3 is actually a very asthetically pleasing vehicle. It's ALMOST a shame when javelins, NLAWs and artillery destroy them en masse. I always wish the Russian crew could burn and the vehicle could be salvaged. Unfortunately, it rarely works like that. Definitely one of Russia's better pieces of military equipment!

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,133
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ukrainians after 2015 embarked on a modernisation reforms also did nato training alongside learning nato weapons.

More so it will take decades for Ukraine to be a nato standard army but as they prepared they learnt their lessons that Russia and its donbass proxies will invade in the future.

Crimea was just the stepping stone.

Even if Ukraine was not ready neither was Russia. But Ukraine achieved more in its small amount of years than Russia's modernisation reforms.

Russia is just taking L upon L. Long term future of Russia is bleak.

Dojt be surprised when disgruntled soldiers start revolting.

To make matters worse I think all the ethnic minorities being used as cannon fodder will become the next Chechnya.

bisbis

Contributor
Reactions
2 718
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
This is a war about NATO calling Putin's bluff. The Kremlin made 5 horrendous calculations when they invaded Ukraine.

1. That Ukraine's army was still stuck in 2014 and that the substantial training that West had provided Ukraine between 2014-2022 wasn't near enough to blunt the Russian advance. Russia was horrendously wrong in that calculation.

2. That Ukraine would fracture and wouldn't have anything to rally around. Putin undestimated Zelensky and his government's ability to mobilize the country for war, as well as the respect that Western leaders would have for him and his war effort. Putin thought Zelensky was weak and it turns out that he's been a huge pain in Putin's ass.

3. That NATO wouldn't put its money, equipment and training where it's mouth is and that they would fracture as an alliance. Putin bet on military and macro financial support for Ukraine being limited and short lasting. He thought that he could weaponize oil and natural gas enough that Europe would capitulate. Instead, they suffered through some hard times and the rest of the developed world rallied around them.

4. That the Russian military was more capable than it really is. Putin and his military leadership were extremely arrogant in the way they invaded. They used an undermanned force, in a complicated, 4 pronged attack, using mostly Soviet era / quality equipment. Their combined arms training is awful. Their air force is petrified to fly any of their valuable assets in Ukrainian air space and their soldiers have proven to be undisciplined, poorly trained and low on morale. Their best fighting force has been their Wagner mercenaries, and Wagner leadership is constantly at odds with the leadership of the regular Russian military. Putin's military is now bogged down and Russia has been forced to multiple rounds of mobilization, mobilizing even less interested "soldiers" and rushing them to the front lines with very little training and poor quality equipment.

5. That Russia had a big enough war chest to wait out the West. They didn't forsee $300 billion in foreign assets being frozen (and in some instances liquidated). They didn't forsee the price of oil normalizing, taking the heat off of Europem they didn't forsee themselves losing strategic assets such as a naval flagship, or the majority of their VDV. They never thought they'd be pulling pathetic T-62's and T-55's out of storage because of severe, modern tank shortages, at the same time that Ukraine just starts to get more modern Western armor.

There is a bigger point than all of that, however. NATO and their allies see this as the least expensive opportunity that they'll ever have to neuter Russia as a major global influence. Russia's mistake in Ukraine gives the West the chance to use Ukrainian blood and old Western stockpiles of weapons to defeat the Russian army for a generation and deeply destroy the Russian economy and their ties to the rest of developed Europe and West, from who they relied on so much. We are absolutely self-interested and we've taken advantage of Russia flinching first. The West has only spent about $100 Billion thus far, to keep Ukraine well positioned in this war, while Russia hemorrhages resources and scrambles to stay in the fight. $100 Billion is NOTHING in the grand scheme. My country (Canada) alone spent nearly $500 Billion during the pandemic. We've spent about $5 Billion in support of Ukraine. Again, among the cheapest deals we'll ever get to be part of a coalition that destroys Russia's influence in Europe. They're not our friends and they never have been. It's absolutely on our best interest to see Russia deeply weakened. The investment is truly worth every penny!
Country interests or human blood. how easily you say it, what if it were your people who would shed that blood. You are very bad westerners. This action is inhumane. There will come a day when this blood will flow in your geography. History says so.

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
2 for 1. Guy gets seriously injured and a wankpanzer Chelsea tractor gets destroyed

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,446
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Country interests or human blood. how easily you say it, what if it were your people who would shed that blood. You are very bad westerners. This action is inhumane. There will come a day when this blood will flow in your geography. History says so.
We're all self-interested. Ukraine's existence as a nation and an identity is at stake. Of course they're ready and willing to shed their blood in defense of their own survival. As long as they're willing to fight and bleed, we're willing o give them to tools and support they need to push back the aggressor.

Make no mistake about this. The Russo-Ukrainian war is not the fault of ANYONE but Russia. They chose to launch an invasion towards their neighbour, out of fear that they were falling further under Western influence. And this isn't the first time they've tried to bully one of their neighbour's. Recent history tells of that Russia has no problem warring with neighbours that have little chance of defending themselves.

Putin is a bully. The way you stop a bully is by punching him in the face as soon as he threatens you. Ukraine (with support from their friends) are the fist that's punching back. The West chose Ukraine to support because we think they're worth our time and resources. We think think they can actually win and deserve every chance to prove that.

I have no doubt that war will come to Canada again some day. I hope that when that time comes, Canadians will be as brave in defense of our country as Ukrainians have been, theirs. I also hope our allies will be with us, like we, collectively, have been for Ukraine.

Westerners are no better / worse than anyone else. We're self-interested. Russia's demise as Europe's bully is in the West's best interest. That's why we're supporting Ukraine's defense. Make no mistake. People in the Eastern part of world are every bit as selfish and self-interested as we are. People have been killing each other for centuries on your side of the world.

Blackeyes90

Contributor
Reactions
3 2,785
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We're all self-interested. Ukraine's existence as a nation and an identity is at stake. Of course they're ready and willing to shed their blood in defense of their own survival. As long as they're willing to fight and bleed, we're willing o give them to tools and support they need to push back the aggressor.

Make no mistake about this. The Russo-Ukrainian war is not the fault of ANYONE but Russia. They chose to launch an invasion towards their neighbour, out of fear that they were falling further under Western influence. And this isn't the first time they've tried to bully one of their neighbour's. Recent history tells of that Russia has no problem warring with neighbours that have little chance of defending themselves.

Putin is a bully. The way you stop a bully is by punching him in the face as soon as he threatens you. Ukraine (with support from their friends) are the fist that's punching back. The West chose Ukraine to support because we think they're worth our time and resources. We think think they can actually win and deserve every chance to prove that.

I have no doubt that war will come to Canada again some day. I hope that when that time comes, Canadians will be as brave in defense of our country as Ukrainians have been, theirs. I also hope our allies will be with us, like we, collectively, have been for Ukraine.

Westerners are no better / worse than anyone else. We're self-interested. Russia's demise as Europe's bully is in the West's best interest. That's why we're supporting Ukraine's defense. Make no mistake. People in the Eastern part of world are every bit as selfish and self-interested as we are. People have been killing each other for centuries on your side of the world.
Can you explain this please ? Who would fight Canada ?

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,446
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Can you explain this please ? Who would fight Canada ?
In the short term? Nobody. Realistically, North America, as long as the United States and Canada work together as closely as we do, is essentially a fortress. There isn't a (non-American) invading force on the planet that could invade, successfully re-supply and logistically support the invasion of Canada. It's simply a matter of geography. We're seeing how hard it is for Ukraine to be invaded and held. Ukraine is a very large country... Canada is 15x larger than Ukraine in terms of landmass, and the majority of the terrain is thick boreal forest, vast lakes and impassible mountains.

The reasonable answer would be the USA. Well into the future, a day could come when American and Canadian relations degrade and America decides to invade. I don't see it in my lifetime, but we haven't always been so closely allied. Keep in mind that Canadians (then British subjects) burnt down the Whitehouse at one point in history. Ultimately, the Americans won the war of 1812 and we learned to live beside each other in peace. We're each other's largest trading partners, with more than $600 Billion USD worth of goods and services going across our borders every year via our ammended free trade agreement. We also have hundreds of thousands of dual-citizens and people with residences in both countries. Again, I don't see deterioration in our relationship anytime soon, but it has happened in the past.

Last edited:

Dmitry

Committed member
Ukraine Correspondent
Reactions
4 841
Nation of residence
Ukraine
Nation of origin
Ukraine
Who is Prilepin.

google-translate:

Russian writer Zakhar Prilepin, who served in the ranks of militants in the Donbass, boasted that his unit killed the largest number of people during the fighting. He expressed the opinion that even if "the pendulum swings the other way," no one will ever put him in jail. Russian writer Zakhar Prilepin, who served in the ranks of the "DPR" fighters, in an interview with journalist Alexei Pivovarov for the "Edition" project, said that the unit he ran in the Donbas killed "a large number of people." The interview was published on the YouTube channel "Edition". “No matter what they say, I managed a combat unit that killed people in large numbers. I don’t know how I will deal with this later,” Prilepin emphasized. Answering a journalist's question, he said that the dead do not come to him at night and nothing torments him. "I just know that these people have died and they are buried. They are just lying in the ground, they are just killed. And there are many of them," the writer said. He noted that few of the Donetsk battalions "in terms of performance" could be compared with his battalion. "Everything we did was a complete goofy mess," Prilepin added. He said that he laughed because many called him a fake commander, but in fact there were so many deaths behind his back. "One day the documents will be published, and everyone will find out in which areas the most people died. And my battalion was standing there, can you guess?" – said the writer. When asked by a journalist if he was afraid that when "the pendulum swings in the other direction", such information would lead the writer to court, he said that he was not afraid of anything. “I live in the context of Russian literature, literature. Where is Derzhavin, Pushkin, Lermontov and Bestuzhev-Marlinsky. I live there.

this that interview:

Dmitry

Committed member
Ukraine Correspondent
Reactions
4 841
Nation of residence
Ukraine
Nation of origin
Ukraine
The well-known correspondent and commander of the "DPR/LPR" separatists, Gennady Dubovoi, complained about how Prilepin, who did not serve anywhere, in the rank of major, and his group came to their positions, gave the order to be the first to start shelling the positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for the sake of a video, and then knowing full well that the Armed Forces of Ukraine would start hitting them in response in 4-6 minutes, he quickly got into the car with his group and left.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,497
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Sucks to suck! Russian propaganda tools being liquidated is good for everyone!
Well this goes both ways....

but anyway both are killing journalists from opposing sides...that's pretty sorry, I hope both Ukr and Ru becomes more civilized as the war drags on.

Last edited:

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,446
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Well this goes both ways....

but anyway both are killing journalists from opposing sides...that's pretty sorry, I hope both Ukr and Ru becomes more civilized as the war drags on.
Exactly. Choosing sides and embracing them is a fundamental part of life. We're all self-interested in the success of the people and causes we care about and we should expect nothing less than us wanting our side to win, at the expense of something someone else.

It's a part of the animal condition, that we don't escape simply by being human.

Make no mistake about it. It's Abosolutely in my best interest if Russia not only loses this war and their economic and geopolitical influence in the world becomes deeply deteriorated along the way. Simultaneously, growing NATO further with the additions of capable militaries / economically advantaged countries in Finland 🇫🇮 and, eventually, Sweden 🇸🇪, further strengthens our geopolitical place in the world. As western influence solidifies Ukraine's proximity to the west, we will eventually add them to NATO and the EU as well. Given their contribution of grain and minerals to the world and their geography (largest country in Europe), they'll serve as an excellent part of the alliance down the road.

Finally, what this war did was light a fire under the ass of our collective countries to modernize our militaries and ramp up production. A couple examples include, but are not limited to...

1. Norway's recent purchase of 54 new Leopard 2A7 tanks from Rheinmetall, with an option to buy 18 more.

2. Canada's recent purchase of 88 F-35 fighter jets from Lockheed-Martin.

3. Germany's announcement that they are going to revamp multiple areas of their military, spending more than $100 Billion on defense purchases in 2023-2024.

4. Poland is spending billions to buy more than 2500 new armored vehicles, including K2 and M1A2 Abrams tanks from South Korea and USA as well as K9 Thunder, K239 Chunmoo and HIMARs artillery.

What this will do in the long run will force China to think really hard about their imperial aspirations. NATO will be the strongest it's been since the 1980s and for the first time in 40 years, the alliance will collectively be ready for war should China decide to come after any of our members. For the West, it's much safer when we're strong and prepared militarily.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,497
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Exactly. Choosing sides and embracing them is a fundamental part of life. We're all self-interested in the success of the people and causes we care about and we should expect nothing less than us wanting our side to win, at the expense of something someone else.

It's a part of the animal condition, that we don't escape simply by being human.
Correct, this is what I've always wanted to hear...politics and power always come with the expense of others.

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,446
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada
Correct, this is what I've always wanted to hear...politics and power always come with the expense of others.
I make no bones about it. We're self interested and it's in our self interest for Russia 🇷🇺 to pay a deep price for their mistep in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

Putin miscalculated and we're getting a very, very cheap price to twist the knife against Russia in response to that mistake. We'd be acting against our own self interest not to run eith this opportunity.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom