Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Taliban's new statement about any foreign forces planing to stay behind :

View attachment 22806
Gentlemen what did I say in my previous post? The quote "emirate shall view them as occupiers and shall take a stance against them as they have taken against invaders throughout history" I think makes it clear.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I have to say lot of confidence and diplomatic skill in recent talibans statements.
Agreed and they have become more refined since their previous iteration of 1996-2001 when they could often appear to be uncouth idiots.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,738
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

@Kaptaan what do you think is going on with these "talks" when Taliban has already labelled anyone remaining as "hostile occupiers". It's pretty obvious that anyone remaining is going to be a target, so it doesn't make sense to continue these talks.

I mean, the only reason I can see is that RTE is going to curry favour by sacrificing TSK soldiers on this mission. Which is going to cost him even more votes. He's lost 2023 so it doesn't make sense that he's trying to save what can be saved by sacrificing soldiers.

Either that or he's trying to find safe country to retire.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan

@Kaptaan what do you think is going on with these "talks" when Taliban has already labelled anyone remaining as "hostile occupiers". It's pretty obvious that anyone remaining is going to be a target, so it doesn't make sense to continue these talks.

I mean, the only reason I can see is that RTE is going to curry favour by sacrificing TSK soldiers on this mission. Which is going to cost him even more votes. He's lost 2023 so it doesn't make sense that he's trying to save what can be saved by sacrificing soldiers.

Either that or he's trying to find safe country to retire.
I have no idea what he is trying to do but certainly in my opinion this would be a terrible decision. You already have heard Taliban making it clear they don't want any foreign soldiers - by the way even Pakistan placed soldiers one inch inside Afghanistan Taliban would start killing them - despite many of those soldiers being ethnic Pakhtun/Pashtuns thus indifferant from Taliban themselves who also tend to be Pashtuns. Pakistan Army soldiers broadly are recruited from two major ethnic groups of Pakistan - Punjabi or Pakhtun/Pashtuns. The Prime Minister of Pakistan, the Finance minister of Pakistan a\s well as at least half of the governing cabinet are Pakhtun/Pashtuns right now. But on of this would cut a inch with Taliban. There is deep traditional culture also at work here. Although there are many ways of translating it but one of the most famous would be "come as a friend/guest and I will die protecting you. Come as univited/enemy I will die fighting you. And I think 40 years of fighting two superpowers has amply demonstrated this fact.

So I hope this does not happen. The wose case scenario is Taliban start attacking Turkish soldiers. That would place Pakistan in a difficult position. Worse of all I can't see Turkey recieving any benefit out of this. Can't they see what America got out of this after 20 years? Just a quagmire.

My only hope is RTE is throwing sweeteners to Biden ahead of the meeting. But let us see what happens.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I hope RTE is playing poker with a smug face.

McKenzie said the U.S. military was still “in consultation with Turkish partners about the issue.” Biden is expected to meet with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in Brussels on Monday to discuss the airport security dilemma.

Reports have said Erdogan is looking for concessions in exchange for securing the airport, including an agreement from the U.S. that allows Ankara to keep and operate its Russian S-400 air defense system. The U.S. opposes Turkey’s acquisition and use of a Russian system alongside NATO weapons like the F-35 fight jet.

@Saithan

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,738
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope RTE is playing poker with a smug face.

McKenzie said the U.S. military was still “in consultation with Turkish partners about the issue.” Biden is expected to meet with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in Brussels on Monday to discuss the airport security dilemma.

Reports have said Erdogan is looking for concessions in exchange for securing the airport, including an agreement from the U.S. that allows Ankara to keep and operate its Russian S-400 air defense system. The U.S. opposes Turkey’s acquisition and use of a Russian system alongside NATO weapons like the F-35 fight jet.

@Saithan
Doesn’t make sense. We’ll use s400 as we see fit. We don’t need US permission for this. Since all the dices on this has been cast.

No f35, embargo on defence products etc. And since US isn’t going to stop doing what they do in our neighborhood...

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Doesn’t make sense. We’ll use s400 as we see fit. We don’t need US permission for this. Since all the dices on this has been cast.

No f35, embargo on defence products etc. And since US isn’t going to stop doing what they do in our neighborhood...
Well let;s see how this plays out. Also it depends on how long the reserve force is left behind. Few months might be okay as strictly speaking September was the announced date. It could that the airport is needed to exfil friendlies out of Afghanistan like Afghans who worked for US military etc

Blank1

Reactions
Taliban's controlled 6 districts over the course of 24 hours :
1 - Sayyad district of Sar-e-Pul
2 - Chora district of Uruzgan
3 - Khan Abad district of Kunduz
4 - Anar Dara district of Farah
5 - Sanccharack district Sar-e-Pul
6 - Gospandi Sar-e-Pul

And a large army base full of 40 vehicles, artillery, weapons and ammo in Ghazni.

Top Bottom