Brace Yourself

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

UNHCR warns of imminent humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan​

This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Babar Baloch – to whom quoted text may be attributed – at today's press briefing at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
13 July 2021
Afghanistan. Worsening conflict in northern Afghanistan uproots thousands
A displaced Afghan woman prepares to light a fire to boil water at an IDP camp in Mazari Sharif, northern Afghanistan. © UNHCR/Edris Lutfi

UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is warning of a looming humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan as the escalating conflict brings increased human suffering and civilian displacement.
An estimated 270,000 Afghans have been newly displaced inside the country since January 2021 – primarily due to insecurity and violence – bringing the total uprooted population to over 3.5 million.
Families forced to flee their homes in recent weeks cite the worsening security situation as the predominant reason for their flight.
In addition to ongoing fighting, displaced civilians have told UNHCR and partners of incidents of extortion by non-state armed groups and the presence of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) on major roads. Many have reported interruptions to social services and a loss of income due to rising insecurity.
The number of civilian casualties has risen 29 per cent during the first quarter of this year compared to 2020, according to UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan. An increasing proportion of women and children were among those targeted.
The needs of those who have had to flee suddenly are acute. UNHCR and partners, as part of a coordinated response, are assisting newly displaced Afghans with emergency shelter, food, health, water and sanitation support and cash assistance, despite challenges in accessing vulnerable groups.
The resilience of the Afghan people has been pushed to the limit by prolonged conflict, high levels of displacement, the impact of COVID-19, recurrent natural disasters, including drought, and deepening poverty. Some 65 per cent of the Afghan population – in and outside of Afghanistan – are children and young people.
A failure to reach a peace agreement in Afghanistan and stem the current violence will lead to further displacement within the country, as well as to neighbouring countries and beyond.
Iran and Pakistan host nearly 90 per cent of displaced Afghans - more than two million registered Afghan refugees in total. Both countries have granted access to territory and protection to Afghan refugees, along with health and educational services through national systems. Their hospitality and inclusive policies, spanning decades and generations, must not be taken for granted.
UNHCR welcomes the respective governments’ commitment to provide access to asylum amidst the global health and socio-economic challenges of COVID-19. We stand ready to bolster humanitarian support to all host countries in the case of additional arrivals.
We urge the international community to step up support to the Government and people of Afghanistan and its neighbours at this critical moment, in a spirit of solidarity and burden-sharing.
Humanitarian resources are currently falling dramatically short. UNHCR’s financial appeal for the Afghanistan situation (including operations for Afghan refugees in Pakistan and Iran) remains acutely underfunded, at only 43 per cent of a total US$ 337 million required.

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Too much love coming for Pakistan, Pakistan never supported IEA but still every one blame every thing on Pakistan. Losers are only those who are kicked out and achieved nothing other then killing million of muslim's.

IEA wanted foreign forces to get out from Afghanistan and they are leaving, IEA considers it a victory.

Pakistani Taliban / TTP is a terrorist organization and is treated as such by your "Islamist fanboys, leftists and Pakistanis" and are send to hell in mass.

You are pissed b/z IEA want you to get out so it is understandable, But efforts are made to settle the issue politically facilitated by Pakistan. I personally would love that Turkey and IEA solves their issues politically.

No, I can call a hypocrisy when I see it, next time TTP kill your soldiers and want to implement the same laws in your country make sure you don't cry here. Sit on the table with them and come to terms, your good Talibs even said they will facilitate it. And get ready to welcome millions more Afghan refugees.

If Turkey stays I understand there are geostrategic reasons for it, Taliban will be stupid to be hostile to Turkey, Turkey has faced bigger foes and successfully changed the status quo at worst odds. This is not a comparison of strength vs US and USSR, simply a matter of strategy and coming to terms. Your only pissed because Turkey is working firstly with the Afghan government and that Pakistan is no longer the only player in Afghanistan, because you have some "one state" idea in your mind.

Your ok with seeing ordinary Afghans suffer across the border under Taliban but oppose the same Afghans when they cause chaos in your country, blame it on India. Your public was cheering Taliban flags at the border until they saw the same flags on the streets of Pakistan. I for one want to see an internationally recognised, stable Afghanistan where Afghans have more to eat then one slice of tandoor bread.

Your compulsive denial of Pakistani support for Taliban is hilarious. Who you guys think your fooling.

Last edited:

Titanium100

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Denmark
No, I can call a hypocrisy when I see it, next time TTP kill your soldiers and want to implement the same laws in your country make sure you don't cry here. Sit on the table with them and come to terms, your good Talibs even said they will facilitate it. And get ready to welcome millions more Afghan refugees.

If Turkey stays I understand there are geostrategic reasons for it, Taliban will be stupid to be hostile to Turkey, Turkey has faced bigger foes and successfully changed the status quo at worst odds. This is not a comparison of strength vs US and USSR, simply a matter of strategy and coming to terms. Your only pissed because Turkey is working firstly with the Afghan government and that Pakistan is no longer the only player in Afghanistan, because you have some "one state" idea in your mind.

Your ok with seeing ordinary Afghans suffer across the border under Taliban but oppose the same Afghans when they cause chaos in your country, blame it on India. Your public was cheering Taliban flags at the border until they saw the same flags on the streets of Pakistan. I for one want to see an internationally recognised, stable Afghanistan where Afghans have more to eat then one slice of tandoor bread.

Your compulsive denial of Pakistani support for Taliban is hilarious. Who you guys think your fooling.

You are spewing alot of garbage that doesn't reflect on Turkey's state policies or interests nor of that in Pakistan.. You are speaking with different tongue that doesn't represent anything on the ground both in Turkey, Pakistan or for the Afghan people.. Which is also far from reality here..

I can addresse and tell you what is really up and explain it to you but it will be going off topic and waste of time... But to put it short whatever you piled down here is from a parallel alternative reality not this world's geo-politics.. This doesn't even warrant further reply because it is an alien opinion and foreign element to the current geo-politics in these said 3 countries... This is equal to someone intending to paint a monalissa ending up painting A Quasimodo or Zombie

Last edited:

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
You are spewing alot of garbage that doesn't reflect on Turkey's state policies or interests nor of that in Pakistan.. You are speaking with different tongue that doesn't represent on the ground both in Turkey, Pakistan or the Afghan people.. Which is also far from reality here..

I can addresse and tell you what is really up and explain it to you but it will be going off topic and waste of time

I fully support Turkish state policy in Libya, Syria, Somalia, Iraq everywhere including Afghanistan, your ad hominem attacks and language prove you have nothing to counter, and yes please save us time from your conspiracy theories, every foreign agency supports their foes terrorists, when the violence spills over in the form of TTP and ISIS your tone will change, so why wish it on your neighbour.

For a nation that has lost 70 thousand people to terrorism you are rather short sighted, but that is it, I can call terrorism for what it is even when it crosses the border and changes clothes.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
17 19,905
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dear Members;

Please express your opinions in a way that does not contain personal insults. Any opposing idea can express themselves freely as long as they comply with the forum rules.

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
So I can I ask you a question. Would you welcome Kabul regime's laws in your country?

This is a question you should be asking your fellow countrymen here, would they welcome a Taliban type regime in Pakistan? With the same laws, If not why endorse this in Afghanistan.

You know the answer, with the recognised government that has international support Afghanistan may see some form of democracy and resemblance to a 21st century governance, with Taliban it sure won't. No one ever claimed it is perfect.

Same question for you? Are you happy to ditch the progress Pakistan has made in democracy for a Taliban copy regime?

Titanium100

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Denmark
This is a question you should be asking your fellow countrymen here, would they welcome a Taliban type regime in Pakistan? With the same laws, If not why endorse this in Afghanistan.

You know the answer, with the recognised government that has international support Afghanistan may see some form of democracy and resemblance to a 21st century governance, with Taliban it sure won't. No one ever claimed it is perfect.

Same question for you? Are you happy to ditch the progress Pakistan has made in democracy for a Taliban copy regime?

Why did Turkey go after PKK in Iraq and Syria when you understand the reasons for that you will understand Pakistan's reasons... Everything is not black and white... I put it to you subtle Pakistan will not tolerate an enemy on it's western border even if it has to take military action.. And you are here sugarcoating Afghan gov't we are not even at that level.. This has nothing to do with whos better and what not in ideology... ANA will bring anti-elements of Pakistan into our border areas plus they become a major security risk as Pakistan is focussed on the eastern border it can't have elements that is allied to the eastern border... Not in this lifetime so sugarcoating them will not change that fact.... It is like a rain that falls on a desert nothing grows out from it... I don't give a flying F' about there democracy or what not they are a security threat on the long term

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Dont need a Paki former Hindu
Even if you are a Turk you certainly have gained status as honourable Indian. This is one of the favourite go to remarks by infantile Indians hurled at Pakistani's. I particularly don't mind the former - personally I would prefer to be called a 'Paki' rather than a Indian [anything but Indian please], Asian, Muslim although the 'former Hindu' does jar me.

First of all people were former 'something' and secondly while some Pakistan will indeed have been proto-Hindus but this is not applicable to all. Many were Zoroatrian, Buddhist, Animists etc.

As a matter of historical fact most Indian's were animists before being converted to Hindusim. Vedics came from the Af-Pak region and then moved into Punjab plains where Vedic faith took root before spreading into modern India. In short we gave Indians even their religion and even the name 'Hindu'.

No need to thank us though!

Have a quick look at this map showing the genesis of Vedic period in what is today Pakistan and then actually spreading east into what is today India. Just to make it easy to understand I have marked in red the capitals of both - Islamabad, Pakistan, New Delhi, India. You can who got converted by who.

vedic 1.png

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I can put that question to you as well. Since I support Taliban and from that you rationalise that I would want Taliban rule in Pakistan as well and thus ask the question.

Now by following the same logic - you appear to support Kabul regime. Would you want Kabul regime to rule your country?

Your equating 'support' with wanting what is subject of that support in your own home. I don't think this is true but if it is then I will say 'yes' to Taliban on the proviso you say 'yes' to Kabul regime that you support.

Are you happy to ditch the progress Pakistan has made in democracy for a Taliban copy regime?
Same question to you as well. Are you prepared to bury century of progress under Ataturk's vision with Kabul regimes clone in Ankara. If your answer is you will happily accept Kabul clone in Ankara my answer isa I will accept Taliban in Islamabad.

If you expect me to shove my boot up my posterior - kindly you shove yours up there also.

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why did Turkey go after PKK in Iraq and Syria when you understand the reasons for that you will understand Pakistan's reasons... Everything is not black and white... I put it to you subtle Pakistan will not tolerate an enemy on it's western border even if it has to take military action.. And you are here sugarcoating Afghan gov't we are not even at that level.. This has nothing to do with whos better and what not in ideology... ANA will bring anti-elements of Pakistan into our border areas plus they become a major security risk as Pakistan is focussed on the eastern border it can't have elements that is allied to the eastern border... Not in this lifetime so sugarcoating them will not change that fact.... It is like a rain that falls on a desert nothing grows out from it... I don't give a flying F' about there democracy or what not they are a security threat on the long term

Comparison is invalid, Iraq is harbouring a terrorist organisation (PKK) with or without the consent of the government. Turkey however is not toppling the Iraqi government with a branch of the PPK in Iraq while calling the PKK terrorists when they cross the border. PKK are terrorists simple as. Where as Pakistani consensus is that Taliban is good and bad depending on which side of the border they are in.

Turkey's solution has been to try work with the Iraqi government and create a buffer zone in Iraq. Pakistan's solution is to support Taliban against the Afghan government and blame India and the Afghan government when a natural branch of the Taliban TTP carries out a cross border raid.

I don't care about your ideology, only your hypocrisy and sugar coating Taliban as good guys depending on where they are because it is in your interests to do so.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Interesting Tweet by the Afghan VP
Why so much hate against the Pakistan regime? There is no smoke without fire

Ahh yes. Out comes the victory of victories that shall be talked about in 1000 years as the greatest military victory since the Spartans. Let me draw this in soccer terms for you. This akin to -

Turkey playing England in the home game at Wembley. Half way through the match Turks gain 1-0 on England. The spectators are all English and Germans egging on the England team. Past half German team jumps in and joins the English team and by match end the England/German combo have won 1-2 against Turkey.

This then is touted as the greatest victory in soccer history!

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,916
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Even if you are a Turk you certainly have gained status as honourable Indian. This is one of the favourite go to remarks by infantile Indians hurled at Pakistani's. I particularly don't mind the former - personally I would prefer to be called a 'Paki' rather than a Indian [anything but Indian please], Asian, Muslim although the 'former Hindu' does jar me.

First of all people were former 'something' and secondly while some Pakistan will indeed have been proto-Hindus but this is not applicable to all. Many were Zoroatrian, Buddhist, Animists etc.

As a matter of historical fact most Indian's were animists before being converted to Hindusim. Vedics came from the Af-Pak region and then moved into Punjab plains where Vedic faith took root before spreading into modern India. In short we gave Indians even their religion and even the name 'Hindu'.

No need to thank us though!

Have a quick look at this map showing the genesis of Vedic period in what is today Pakistan and then actually spreading east into what is today India. Just to make it easy to understand I have marked in red the capitals of both - Islamabad, Pakistan, New Delhi, India. You can who got converted by who.

View attachment 26412

I kind of find it weird to paint almost all of the Indian subcontinent with the "former Hindu" brush because Hinduism, from my admittedly limited reading, didn't really evolve into a unified religion from what were separate teachings until fairly recently.

Interesting Tweet by the Afghan VP
Why so much hate against the Pakistan regime? There is no smoke without fire

That was more of a Pakistani own goal though. Militarily, not too bad. Diplomatically, shooting itself in the foot.

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I can put that question to you as well. Since I support Taliban and from that you rationalise that I would want Taliban rule in Pakistan as well and thus ask the question.

Now by following the same logic - you appear to support Kabul regime. Would you want Kabul regime to rule your country?

Your equating 'support' with wanting what is subject of that support in your own home. I don't think this is true but if it is then I will say 'yes' to Taliban on the proviso you say 'yes' to Kabul regime that you support.

Same question to you as well. Are you prepared to bury century of progress under Ataturk's vision with Kabul regimes clone in Ankara. If your answer is you will happily accept Kabul clone in Ankara my answer isa I will accept Taliban in Islamabad.

If you expect me to shove my boot up my posterior - kindly you shove yours up there also.

Ataturks vision will forever live in Turkey.

If you had intellectual honesty you would see my response is pretty clear. Will you support the same Taliban regime in Pakistan? let me lay it down in simpleton for you, would you welcome a Taliban regime in Pakistan?

And the people you call "sunni savages" in Syria are under Turkey's wing, Turkey is not using them to create shariah 2.0 but a more democratic Syria where people can have some form of human rights. I think in savagery Taliban outshines the Turkish backed FSA so lets not go there.

Last edited:

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I will re-engage here later. But keep this in mind. If other countries have right to drive their armies through Syria, Iraq, Libya etc because of self interest Pakistan sure has right to try shaping the least, yes least objectionable Kabul administration to it's interests.

@LegioXLupus The UK, USA etc have used force to shape other countries on other side of the world and insatalled governments that they themselves would NEVER accept in London or Washington. Would USA or London accept Kabul regime clone or Baghdad clones in their own countries. Not on yer nelly.

USA and UK actively prop the hideous House of Saud in Arabia which we all know is fount of evil that until yesterday would not even allow females to drive cars. Does the support of such evil governments translate that London or Washington also need a grining Al Saud as King along with head chopping on Kensington Park every weekend?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom