Reactions
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

UN: Civilian casualties in Afghanistan at record level in May-June​

Reuters
Taliban Afghanistan

Afghan militia gather with their weapons to support Afghanistan security forces against the Taliban, in Afghan warlord and former Mujahideen leader Ismail Khan's house in Herat on July 9, 2021 AFP

Heavy clashes have taken place around the country in the past two months as the Taliban launched major offensives
Nearly 2,400 Afghan civilians were killed or injured in May and June as fighting between Taliban insurgents and Afghan security forces escalated, the highest number for those two months since records started in 2009, the UN said on Monday.
The UN's Assistance Mission to Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in a report it had documented 5,183 civilian casualties between January and June, of which 1,659 were deaths.
The number was up 47% from the same period last year.
The figures underscored the dire situation for Afghan civilians as intense fighting picked up in May and June after US President Joe Biden announced American troops would withdraw by September, bringing an end to 20 years of foreign military presence in the country.
"Of serious concern is the acute rise in the number of civilians killed and injured in the period from May 1, with almost as many civilian casualties in the May-June period as recorded in the entire preceding four months," UNAMA said in a statement.
Heavy clashes around the country have taken place in the past two months as the Taliban launches major offensives, taking rural districts, border crossings and surrounding provincial capitals, prompting Afghan and US forces to carry out air strikes to try and push back the insurgents.
Negotiators have been meeting in Qatar's capital of Doha in recent weeks but diplomats have cautioned there has been little substantive progress since peace talks began in September.
"I implore the Taliban and Afghan leaders to take heed of the conflict's grim and chilling trajectory and its devastating impact on civilians," said Deborah Lyons, the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative for Afghanistan. "Unprecedented numbers of Afghan civilians will perish and be maimed this year if the increasing violence is not stemmed."

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
@LegioXLupus In case you did not know there was no TTP before 9/11 and Taliban had been in power since 1997. TTP only emerged after USA invaded Afghanistan and the war spilled over into our side. So there is poor correlation between Taliban rule and TTP. TTP caused us maximum grief from 2008-14 when Kabul was firmly in US hands and their proxies the NA.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Oh so you had reasons to push that boot up the Lankans. Surprise there for me. Only India can have reasons. Pakistan possibly can't. That there are more Pakhtuns in Pakistan then in Afghanistan is not analogous to Tamils being in India and Lanka which gave you the licence but we don't get. As the pious say 'mashallah'.

You got your flybodys slapped like flies out of the sky and only Indian media can turn that into some victory. Carry on your delusion. Abiwhatever got his surgical tea served.

That has been going on anyway and irrespective since 2007. TTP got refuge in Afghanistan under the very noses. Now going back to the issue of who won that depends on the goal. Losses or time is never a factor. If you look at Vietcong they lost huge numbers of men and it went on for years making Vietnam into the most bombed country on earth but nobody says they lost. So to size up if USA won you have to first give the frame of referance or the goal - then we can size up. To my mind two come up and if you feel there is more please to add. US goals were -

• 1. Wipe out/ degrade AQ and kill OBL.
  • 2. Wipe out//deny Afghanistan to Taliban.

If it is the former then USA won the war as it achieved it's objectives. But the problem with that is it had achieved that goal by 2010. Why has it been screwing about and losing men in mountains of Afghanistan over the last 11 years? The only possible reason is No.2 in which case USA lost the war as Talibs are still there in vigour.
My point had nothing to do with Pashtuns and Afghanistan. My point was to do with your unfounded assertion regarding India aiding in activities in Pakistan through Consulates in Afghanistan. So far you have mentioned Abhinandan, Pulwama, LTTE, Sri Lanka, Covid corpses in the Ganga, Mukti Bahini, 26/11, and Jadhav (hope i didn't miss anything) without giving any proof to back your claims about India and its consulates in Afghanistan.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I remind you that this is the Afghanistan War thread and we have dedicated places for India/Pakistan/Turkey debates. Stay away from personal remarks, insults to countries and nationalities otherwise we will be forced to take harsher measures. Messages were deleted. Take that as a soft warning.

KKF 2.0

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I remind you that this is the Afghanistan War thread and we have dedicated places for India/Pakistan/Turkey debates. Stay away from personal remarks, insults to countries and nationalities otherwise we will be forced to take harsher measures. Messages were deleted. Take that as a soft warning.
I don't know which posting in particular you are criticizing but talking about the ongoing Afghan War without its geopolitical implications and the participitating parties is impossible. I don't really agree with the first part of your posting.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know which posting in particular you are criticizing but talking about the ongoing Afghan War without its geopolitical implications and the participitating parties is impossible. I don't really agree with the first part of your posting.
Not that I need to give any explanation but we deleted some off topic posts and personal insults among members. Discussions in this thread are not limited to debate between participating party's supporters but by the context of their messages.

Messages here should be within the context of the Afghan war. If we don't keep the discipline on that matter the thread will totally go out of control and we don't want that (I am speaking from experience). I am sorry for the term that I am going to use but we have enough "d**k measurement" threads for that purpose.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom