Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

AD Missile development is also planned for submarines

Roketsan was a partner in IDAS but the state is unknown.

Maybe own concept will be developed around capsulization of Hisar missile?

Encapsulated Hisar-Derin
images

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,049
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

Really good for the Aegean.

I wonder if the intention is purely last ditch self defence for the submarines. Or if these will be a serious part of the Turkish Navy's air defence network. I guess we'll find out when the sensors and amount of missiles carried are revealed.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,064
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

I wonder if the intention is purely last ditch self defence for the submarines. Or if these will be a serious part of the Turkish Navy's air defence network. I guess we'll find out when the sensors and amount of missiles carried are revealed.

I think the future is to intergrate both land, air and naval air defences into one single network.

Basically Turkiye is building itself a fortress.

Turkiye does not have the benefit of being far away or having weak enemies or being surrounded by seas and oceans.

Turkiye is vulnerable to land, sea and air attacks. Hence why this shit is really important not to mention, Turkiye lives in the shittest neighbourhoods look at the Balkans, Caucasus, across the black sea above and the Middle East.

Its vital to have beefed up air defence systems. Our neighbours are all buying planes.

Last edited:

SaR

Committed member
Reactions
3 599
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

If guidance issue is solved. Current SLAM (Submarine Launched surface to Air Missile) concept appears to be around self defence. I think networked SLAM has potential give submarines AAW capabilities not just for self defence. Modified AD Missiles can be used for supersonic land attack too.

Maybe using cabled relay capable system for connecting to datalink.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,757
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Roketsan was a partner for IDAS development, as you have stated. IDAS is now at a usable level. Reis Class subs may be fitted with this system.
This is not really an air defence system like land or ship based systems. It is designed to attack low flying planes and helicopters, especially the ones that are used for hunting subs. Apart from having the limited capability to fire these missiles against shore based targets that are in close range, IDAS, predominantly is a self defence missile developed for submarine use.
I can’t really see the effective usability of a “Hisar-Derln” system. Submarines are very difficult to communicate with. Their sensors and communication systems do not penetrate out of water when they are at operational depth. Even the VLF (very low frequency) systems can not penetrate more than 30-40 meters of water. The weapon systems in a sub take space, which is at a premium in a constrained space. Okra and Atmaca are the deadliest weapons our subs are going to have. To relinquish space in favour for any other missile system, has to be a vital decision to implement.

below link gives some info on IDAS.

SaR

Committed member
Reactions
3 599
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Roketsan was a partner for IDAS development, as you have stated. IDAS is now at a usable level. Reis Class subs may be fitted with this system.
This is not really an air defence system like land or ship based systems. It is designed to attack low flying planes and helicopters, especially the ones that are used for hunting subs. Apart from having the limited capability to fire these missiles against shore based targets that are in close range, IDAS, predominantly is a self defence missile developed for submarine use.
I can’t really see the effective usability of a “Hisar-Derln” system. Submarines are very difficult to communicate with. Their sensors and communication systems do not penetrate out of water when they are at operational depth. Even the VLF (very low frequency) systems can not penetrate more than 30-40 meters of water. The weapon systems in a sub take space, which is at a premium in a constrained space. Okra and Atmaca are the deadliest weapons our subs are going to have. To relinquish space in favour for any other missile system, has to be a vital decision to implement.

below link gives some info on IDAS.

Advances in UUVs could increase network capabilities of submarines with other platforms

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,757
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Advances in UUVs could increase network capabilities of submarines with other platforms
Unmanned Underwater Vehicles will also be subject to restrictions of sensor and communication limitations. Operating close to surface, these vehicles will be great. But at depth, with current technology, 30-40 metres is the operational radius.
How is a sub to communicate at 300 metre depth with a UUV that is kilometres away?

SaR

Committed member
Reactions
3 599
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Unmanned Underwater Vehicles will also be subject to restrictions of sensor and communication limitations. Operating close to surface, these vehicles will be great. But at depth, with current technology, 30-40 metres is the operational radius.
How is a sub to communicate at 300 metre depth with a UUV that is kilometres away?

Maybe

Cable guidance system if short distance.

If not, relay using multiple UUVs. I don't know how CONOPS of that would work. Naval dock based long endurance UUVs could coordinate along with submarine launched UUVs.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,757
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Does US help us in Siper project?
Why should they? They have, on the contrary, tried to hinder our frigate Project by blocking sales of critical equipments. But if you know something we don’t, please share.
US has patriot Pac3 that may resemble, to a degree, our Siper in terms of hit to kill capability and active RF seeker. But, Pac3 has dual thrust engine where as Siper uses a dual pulse engine.
In fact, if anything, Siper is more like a Barak-8 with more speed, less range.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why should they? They have, on the contrary, tried to hinder our frigate Project by blocking sales of critical equipments. But if you know something we don’t, please share.
US has patriot Pac3 that may resemble, to a degree, our Siper in terms of hit to kill capability and active RF seeker. But, Pac3 has dual thrust engine where as Siper uses a dual pulse engine.
In fact, if anything, Siper is more like a Barak-8 with more speed, less range.
There was recent news from the US media that US should help Türkiye develop the Siper so that we don't need the S400 anymore and the US can re-approach Türkiye.

They may wish so but Türkiye does not want more US and even want less.

Last edited:
M

Manomed

There was recent news from the US media that US should help Türkiye develop the Siper so that we don't need the S400 anymore and the US can re-approach Türkiye.

They may wish so but Türkiye does not want more US and even want less.
Yeah we should have russians In our country :D

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom