Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,867
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It's BMC's turn on the stage, and I think we'll see a lot of new things until and during the ceremony.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,867
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some screenshots from 'Oyunbozan - Altay' teaser:

altay 1.PNG

altay-2.PNG
altay-3.PNG
altay-4.PNG

footnote: I wish that Altay T1 will put into mass production with 25mm or 30mm secondary armament. And also the infantry fighting vehicle tender is also shaped in a higher calibre than 30mm.

Last edited:

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,138
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hopefully the Americans and Europeans can s*ck on this.

After the Germans placed an embargo they all laughed at how the Altay tank is now good as dead.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
117 14,935
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Look at the darkened area. The integrated engine belongs to BMC Power.

View attachment 56477
I will play the devil’s advocate;
That isn’t enough to say the engine is Turkish.
This Doosan engine below shows different parts to the Doosan engine you have shared. More like the so called BMC engine.
Until there is a label we can see, the origin of engine is still contentious.
Top Turkish officials stated that a good number of first tanks would be powered by S Korean engine. So it is more likely that the engine being fitted is South Korean.

Besides Batu wasn’t supposed to be ready yet.
I wish I were wrong.
1682187425005.jpeg

Last edited:

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,884
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
This Doosan engine below shows different parts to the Doosan engine you have shared. More like the so called BMC engine.
Top Turkish officials stated that a good number of first tanks would be powered by S Korean engine. So it is more likely that the engine being fitted is South Korean.

View attachment 56490

That is because this one shows the engine from the other side. If you inspect the pictures carefully you can see that @Cabatli_TR is right. The engine shown in the video is BATU.

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 978
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey

I wish I were wrong.
View attachment 56490
If you look at BMC power website it says 1500 hp v12 Engine developed from scratch by Turkiye is first fired and tested in 2021 so Now its 2023 , 2 years and it can be BMC engine but its not ready for mass production just 1 or 2 engine for testing and they would put it inside Altay to test .

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
117 14,935
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you look at BMC power website it says 1500 hp v12 Engine developed from scratch by Turkiye is first fired and tested in 2021 so Now its 2023 , 2 years and it can be BMC engine but its not ready for mass production just 1 or 2 engine for testing and they would put it inside Altay to test .
You are probably correct. According to below article the Batu tank engine trials were to be started soon. That was in late 2022.
So it is logical to have an engine or two fitted in to a tank and start trials. If so that is fairly good and quick progress.

I guess if they intend to integrate it in to the tank in 2024, they need to start trials now.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I wish I were wrong.
View attachment 56490

Bro, I checked last statements of officials to see possibility of BMC Power Batu engine integrated into Altay.

One BATU Power Group (Domestic engine + Transmission + Cooling equipments) will be prepared in April 2023 and will be operated at the test center for the first time. Later, integration activities will be started on the tank and operational tests will be carried out on the tank in phases.

After first ignition and tests at the beginning of April, integration activities may have started in same month and those images may have taken during the integration process.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
117 14,935
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Bro, I checked last statements of officials to see possibility of BMC Power Batu engine integrated into Altay.

One BATU Power Group (Domestic engine + Transmission + Cooling equipments) will be prepared in April 2023 and will be operated at the test center for the first time. Later, integration activities will be started on the tank and operational tests will be carried out on the tank in phases.

After first ignition and tests at the beginning of April, integration activities may have started in same month and those images may have taken during the integration process.
If that is the case, then things have progressed quick and they have had no set backs.
My initial thoughts were of engines being fitted in to serial production units. But if these are integration of trial engines then it is speedy progress as originally they were planning integration in 2024.
This is fantastic news.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,953
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
Look at the darkened area. The integrated engine belongs to BMC Power.

View attachment 56477
The engine from the clip screenshot definitely looks like BMC BATU short-stroke engine. Doosan is a long-stroke engine, so the structure and dimensions are different.

Korean MBT power pack (SNT EST15K automatic transmission + Doosan DV27K diesel engine):

IMG_8997.jpeg

More photos at this fine blog:

Don’t know how the Turkish transmission looks like, does anbody has pictures?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom