TR Altay Main Battle Tank & Related Programs

A

adenl

I didn't asked you, but since you answered. Do you actually have a source, or you are making things up?
I'm making things up. We have seen a real mock up during a MSB visit to Tubitak couple months ago.

AKKOR.jpg

S

Sinan

I'm making things up. We have seen a real mock up during a MSB visit to Tubitak couple months ago.

View attachment 12586
We are seeing mock ups since 5 years, yet we have not seen the final product. Please, don't make things up. Free speech is one thing, disinformation is another.

Ghost soldier

Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
I didn't asked you, but since you answered. Do you actually have a source, or you are making things up?

View attachment 12586
Not yet imo, but they should be close to being operational (+/- 1 year)
It was about to enter service with altay in 2017 but back then since altay project was delayed and things were prioritized its devolpement was not finished so I think it's unofficialy in service

A

adenl

We are seeing mock ups since 5 years, yet we have not seen the final product. Please, don't make things up. Free speech is one thing, disinformation is another.

If you compare to the mock up of 2015 with the recently shown one, the differences are so huge that one could argue that it is a different thing altogether. The recently shown product of the AKKOR looks like an almost finished product.

Don't jump to conclusions when one is trying to be helpful in answering you.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,983
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know how to feel about Altay turret on Leopard2, Roketsan presented the more cost efficient solution with the T1 add-on armor kit.

A

adenl

I don't know how to feel about Altay turret on Leopard2, Roketsan presented the more cost efficient solution with the T1 add-on armor kit.
It is probably cheaper but then again this upgrades provides all the modern gizmo's and increases both the active and passive protection and has a higher commonality with the Altay. I think these are all solid arguments to go with this upgrade. In this day and age with a high proliferation of high-penetration ATGM's, APS is a must and passive protection alone is not sufficient anymore.

We have all seen the video where a leopard was targeted by a PKK ATGM and it was blown to smithereens. And don't forget what happend to Leopards at al-Bab

Last edited by a moderator:

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,983
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is probably cheaper but then again this upgrades provides all the modern gizmo's and increases both the active and passive protection and has a higher commonality with the Altay. I think these are all solid arguments to go with this upgrade. In this day and age with a high proliferation of high-penetration ATGM's, APS is a must and passive protection alone is not sufficient anymore.
The T1 kit provides enough protection, just add some Akkor APS and your good to go. A totally new turret is expensive then you could also invest a little more and build Altay. Modernization has to be affordable you can't invest ~ 50% of Altay's cost to modernize a 30-40 year old Tank. It makes no sense for the long term. Who wants another M60T scenario but this time Leopard2 playing the main role?

1611394492105.png

A

adenl

The T1 kit provides enough protection, just add some Akkor APS and your good to go.
It is not a simple thing to just 'add' an APS. It comes with 4 radar panels that need space and power supply to work.
A totally new turret is expensive then you could also invest a little more and build Altay.
The Altay suffers from the engine issue. It is better to start production with some elements of the Altay to keep the project going and to gain experience in this way then it is to sit on your hands waiting for a suitable engine to arrive.
Modernization has to be affordable you can't invest more than 50% of Altay's cost to modernize a 30-40 year old Tank.
Says who? The Leopard chassis and engine combo is very good but the turret with its outdated armor, optics, electronics and hydraulics is not and upgrading would only bring you so far.
It makes no sense for the long term. Who wants another M60T scenario but this time Leopard2 playing the main role?
Me. Replacing the turret altogether with the latest and greatest technology and with room for more improvements is a very good stop-gap measure till the Altay is fully ready to be produced. I would rather sit in a souped up M60 or Leopard than in a plain vanilla one.

uzaysan

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Didn't they said, "they want to re-design Altay and make it lighter" because current form is too heavy? But from what I see, Altay got bulkier with some extra shields. Does that mean they solved engine problem?

Reviewbrah

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The T1 kit provides enough protection, just add some Akkor APS and your good to go. A totally new turret is expensive then you could also invest a little more and build Altay. Modernization has to be affordable you can't invest ~ 50% of Altay's cost to modernize a 30-40 year old Tank. It makes no sense for the long term. Who wants another M60T scenario but this time Leopard2 playing the main role?

View attachment 12593

leotay.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom