Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
T70 Blackhawk helicopters are finally being delivered to their respective customers.
When the license agreement was first signed there were going to be 109 units produced by Tusas for TSK and interior ministry plus a quantity for Forestry Ministry. Plus for every T70 Turkey purchased one T70 would be exported. So really the initial quantity were 218 potential units. We have not heard about the export portion of this agreement.
The initial choice of Sikorsky was made in 2011. But due to technicality issues it wasn’t until 2016 that the final agreement was signed.
Now somehow we are being told that the license agreement will have to be renewed as it is ending in 2024. After the delivery of 38 helicopters, we will need a new production license from Sikorsky and hence the US government.
Now, after 2024 are we really going to need these helicopters if we have Gokbey - already flying - and T-925 heavy utility helicopter that will fly in 2024?
As we will be producing our own alternatives to T-70, US will definitely endorse a new license to obstruct or hinder our own production. Then may be, there could be an opportunity to ask for a newer tech version of the T-70 to be produced at Tusas.
It is interesting that in 2016, when the project was finally put to bed, the initial deliveries were to start in 2021. Did they really think that they could produce 109 units in 3 years? Did they not have the notion of extending the license there and then? Didn’t they allow for delays? Food for thought!

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,085
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Now, after 2024 are we really going to need these helicopters if we have Gokbey - already flying - and T-925 heavy utility helicopter that will fly in 2024?
No offense, but I am not sure if Gokbey can fulfill the mission of T70.
I am not a rotary wing aviation expert, but from the design philosophy it doesnt looks like Gokbey is a frontline helicopter.
Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
No offense, but I am not sure if Gokbey can fulfill the mission of T70.
I am not a on rotary wing aviation expert, but from the design philosophy it doesnt looks like Gokbey is a frontline helicopter.
Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.
It can take certain responsibilities of T-70. Already Turkish Gendarmery units are being delivered with Gokbey, configured for military use. It is smaller and with less weight. But you don’t always need a T-70 to perform some duties.
That is why I wrote T-625 Gokbey and T-925 Heavy utility helicopter. They can easily divide workload of T-70 between them and more. Making it more cost effective use of resources.
1673624203276.jpeg

T-925

Last edited:

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
10 3,811
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
It can take certain responsibilities of T-70. Already Turkish Gendarmery units are being delivered with Gokbey, configured for military use. It is smaller and with less weight. But you don’t always need a T-70 to perform some duties.
That is why I wrote T-625 Gokbey and T-925 Heavy utility helicopter. They can easily divide workload of T-70 between them and more. Making it more cost effective use of resources.
View attachment 52557
T-925

I agree to a certain degree. I think extending the license wont be a problem and I think we should do so. So much effort has gone into this project not only by TAI but a lot of Turkish companies, I know a lot of people dont want to hear this but programs like these actually benefit us a lot other than just satisfying needs of TSK. We should at least produce the minimum 109 choppers set as a need by the Armed Forces. I also don't think TSK will accept Gökbey as a "replacement" for the T-70/S-70.
We have yet to see an actual combat version, as I know the versions which will be delivered to Jandarma are transport versions mainly VIP. We have yet to find out how Gökbey deals with additional weight of countermeasures and self protection suits.

Gökbey imo is seen more of a UH-1 replacement. There is a good chance they wont even pursue a true combat version and will leave it at the basic transport configuration.

T-925 imho should be delayed until TS-3000 or what ever they are planning on doing is ready. We already have one program dependent on ukrainian engines which could be cut off if Ukraine buckles to the pressure by western countries. Even if the war ends Ukraine will need western aid to rebuild the country and its economy.

Also Gökbey took over 4 years from first flight to first delivery of its basic version. If we take the same timeframe for T-925, the first basic version of it would see deliveries made by 2028/2029 at which deliveries of T-70 would be coming close to its end.

I'm still upset that TEI's TS-3000 program wasn't picked up years ago. Unnecessary delays and risks. I truly hope ATAK-II won't see major delays due to the engines.

Just my two cents.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,001
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Yasar where did you read about the 2024 thing?

The offset deals alone will make it worthwhile to pull through with the entire deal imo.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 921
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is this helicopter somewhere in Konya anccroding to tweet who post it ?
Mockup for TV serials or real body of helicopter?
FmnMTJ0XgAE8UVF.jpeg

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not related to Turkish Helicopters, but just wanted to point out - how sexy Bell's 360 Invictus attack helicopter is, I'd love to see T629 have similar curves
1675359208536.png

1675359291269.png

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,678
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I really can't wait to see what T629 will be like in its final iteration, I expect some changes might be made between now and then.

Top Bottom