Boğaziçi Protests

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
@Sinan i am trying to paint bigger picture, not disputing student issues, it is normal from that generation to pursue some ideals and they see world with pink colours, thing is that it is not always just academic freedoms as other members mentioned, i just dont like emerging wider political aura beside their issue.
Otherwise my position is quite simple, who finance insitution has all rights to manage it, if this university is not under state financing and private one, state ahould immediatelly back of but if it is under state financimg then i can not justify protesting against state appointed vice dean, maybe that side is deaf in this case?. It is like in household, one who brings bread on table should have most influence within it.
Regarding your temporaly rectracting from moderation functiom, unnecessary move, i think that all of us are cordial participants in discussion.

P.s
Apologize for numeros typos, typing from mobile, spend more time on editing them writting ;)

Last edited:
S

Sinan

@Sinan i am trying to paint bigger picture, not disputing student issues, it is normal from that generation to pursue some ideals and they see world with pink colours, thing is that it is not always just academic freedoms as other members mentioned, i just dont like emerging wider political aura beside their issue.
Otherwise my position is quite simple, who finance insitution has all rights to manage it, if this university is not under state financing and private one, state ahould immediatelly back of but if it is under state financimg then i can not justify protesting against state appointed vice dean, maybe that side is deaf in this case?. It is like in household, one who brings bread on table should have most influence within it.
Regarding your temporaly rectracting from moderation functiom, unnecessary move, i think that all of us are cordial participants in discussion.

P.s
Apologize for numeros typos, typing from mobile, spend more time on editing them writting ;)
- About emerging wider political aura. Students themselves said it many times that they are not pursuing any political agenda. Also, they wanted and rejected political persons from their protests. They only accept help when it students get arrested and it's just for getting "lawyer service for free" since they are broke. Other than that they have no political demands or requests from anyone.

- I'm not gonna talk on how an university management should be handled. I can only talk about principle. If it was up to me. I would look into top 100 universities in the world. Look at how they manage themselves. How much the academia has autonomy and apply it to my universities.
Regardless of that. Government can listen to students, can talk with students. Can hear their problems. But today interior ministry said; "We ask students to not test the strength of the state"..... they are not terrorists, there is no need for this language. Boğaziçi students are from the top 2000 students from 2.4 Million students that entered to university exam. They are creme de la creme most intelligent and hard working people in Turkey. They are also the future of this country. And government is treating them like terrorists. This is something i can't accept.

- A mod should be neutral. I can't be neutral on this and i can't refrain from talking in a subject like. Also, there are some members here think that discussing against a mod is unfair. It is been said to me. So...

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see a shocking amount of people who show:

-support for breach of constitutional rights of Turkish citizen
-support of police brutality on peaceful protests (when its the opposing side)
-support for censorship
-support for discrimination based on sexual orientation
-support for discrimination based on political ideology
-support for state tyranny, thats meddling into every single institution in the country nowadays
-support for deliberate weakening of deeply rooted/traditional institutions by basically one man for him to grab more and more power
-support for polarizing statements by politicians who want to divert attention from huge problems that the country has due to their incompetence
-support for smear campaigns
-support for unjust arrests
-support for arbitrary state behaviors by the goverment

And its exactly these people who justify all this with ''democracy'' and the best is half of them cant even speak Turkish.
Thats political Islam for you with islamofacists on the frontlines, scary similarities to Mussolinis Italy...

Last edited:

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
- About emerging wider political aura. Students themselves said it many times that they are not pursuing any political agenda. Also, they wanted and rejected political persons from their protests. They only accept help when it students get arrested and it's just for getting "lawyer service for free" since they are broke. Other than that they have no political demands or requests from anyone.

- I'm not gonna talk on how an university management should be handled. I can only talk about principle. If it was up to me. I would look into top 100 universities in the world. Look at how they manage themselves. How much the academia has autonomy and apply it to my universities.
Regardless of that. Government can listen to students, can talk with students. Can hear their problems. But today interior ministry said; "We ask students to not test the strength of the state"..... they are not terrorists, there is no need for this language. Boğaziçi students are from the top 2000 students from 2.4 Million students that entered to university exam. They are creme de la creme most intelligent and hard working people in Turkey. They are also the future of this country. And government is treating them like terrorists. This is something i can't accept.

- A mod should be neutral. I can't be neutral on this and i can't refrain from talking in a subject like. Also, there are some members here think that discussing against a mod is unfair. It is been said to me. So...
= cuddos to them and that should be that way,

= it is matter of prinicple for start i have to say you klve in delusion if those top 100 universities are free from outside influence, it is just better masked and covered, you are familiar with term cancel culture, academia are also people not free from bias, ignorance, mistakes and in some form even sect mentality, i agree with you that state should has less arogance and more tact in approach towards young people but also those students should understand that they not live in hippy community and that state has some rights over university too, nuanced and undisrupted dialogue should clear that unclarities easily if there is that kind of setup from start.

= fair enough, i just said my position, maybe other members are self restricting themselfs in conversation.

S

Sinan

17 Students arrested for protesting. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

^^^Students saying we did nothing, we are just sitting. One of the police shouts to student who was filming the scene (close the phone, several times, than apperently they force him physically)

10 Students arrested in Istanbul today. For protesting in 1-2 February. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sinan

Pic says, we are not looking down because we are not afraid of you.

EtZw--UXAAg6f6Y.jpg

Students are following a good strategy. Peacefull protests for a month although they were beaten and jailed. They are gaining sympathy. I can't say the same for a government who beats kids.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
The latest TRT video trying to demonise the protestors at the University is the most down voted video of theirs I've ever seen. Major PR fail

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,988
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Its very easy for government/intelligence agencies to sabotage peaceful protests. Very easy. It happens all the time in the west.

The media then controlled by the government shows the "violent" scenes as away to completely delegitimise the protests.

Unfortunately Turkey is trapped in a catch 22 situation. Turkey has an exceptionally corrupt government that incrementally moves the country towards Islamist dictatorship, while at the same time the outsiders to the nation look to use public dissatisfaction to harm the entire nation.

Turkey is between a rock and a hard place.

Reviewbrah

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Its very easy for government/intelligence agencies to sabotage peaceful protests. Very easy. It happens all the time in the west.

LGBT flag and HDP folklore group is enough to degrade protests. Majority of the people in this country is conservatives so it works.

S

Sinan

The latest TRT video trying to demonise the protestors at the University is the most down voted video of theirs I've ever seen. Major PR fail
The one man with glass talks right, he is one of the most repulsive man i have ever seen. Such arrogance in it's speech and he his speech was full of lies.

S

Sinan

Today's protests in Izmir.

Bunch of students getting arrested for standing. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

One student shouting my hands are hurting. Female police officer shouting and trying to prevent filming.

People in the apartments protesting police whom arrested kids.

S

Sinan

Today's protests in Ankara.

Police attacked protesting students in Ankara. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

Police attacked protesting students in Ankara. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

Police arrested protesting students in Ankara. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

Police arrested protesting students in Ankara. (Protesting is a constitutional right of Turkish citizens, government is committing a crime here)

S

Sinan

If you have watched the videos, these are not mass protests, just a bunch of kids. Yet, they are making a lot of attention in the media, social media and in politics.
Police attacking, beating and jailing a bunch of kids making things worse.

D

dBSPL

We are at the same spot again omg. Just because someone support you, doesn't mean you support them.
Well...

All 3 messages I wrote under this topic are linked to each other. What I'm talking about here is not "support". What I wrote about was call attention to manipulations and efforts that took this student response out of context. When you choose one in between, of course you can easily pull it in any direction you want and take it out of context.

In order to see kck, dhkpc, mlkp, and some other similar organizations (including lawyers as we saw past and social media birds who are among these students and want to poisoning the events as they have tried every time) as just peacefull supporters for protecting our values: All we are must have unlimited good faith and unaware about Turkey's recent history. I am not even talking about not knowing the inside of the Boğaziçi... Look, here's a message from 2016 that I don't want to translate into English:
fLAO5G.jpg

If you really care about students, invite feto, kck, dhkpc to silence and retreat into their cells, not the people who are paying attention to these issues. And If we're going to go out of context which i tried to explain, I also have the right to remind what happened to the girl in the red scarf. Was this phenomenon and psyop just a support? or a tool to de-contextualize events as a part of rich psy-op backround. Where was that girl's life before the events, and where did end after?

The students are right. That's why I try to avoid unnecessary polemics. However, the point I am sorry for is that they will be unjust side in a very short time because of this careless attitude. I watched this movie a lot and lived a lot.

S

Sinan

Well...

All 3 messages I wrote under this topic are linked to each other. What I'm talking about here is not "support". What I wrote about was call attention to manipulations and efforts that took this student response out of context. When you choose one in between, of course you can easily pull it in any direction you want and take it out of context.

In order to see kck, dhkpc, mlkp, and some other similar organizations (including lawyers as we saw past and social media birds who are among these students and want to poisoning the events as they have tried every time) as just peacefull supporters for protecting our values: All we are must have unlimited good faith and unaware about Turkey's recent history. I am not even talking about not knowing the inside of the Boğaziçi... Look, here's a message from 2016 that I don't want to translate into English:
fLAO5G.jpg

If you really care about students, invite feto, kck, dhkpc to silence and retreat into their cells, not the people who are paying attention to these issues. And If we're going to go out of context which i tried to explain, I also have the right to remind what happened to the girl in the red scarf. Was this phenomenon and psyop just a support? or a tool to de-contextualize events as a part of rich psy-op backround. Where was that girl's life before the events, and where did end after?

The students are right. That's why I try to avoid unnecessary polemics. However, the point I am sorry for is that they will be unjust side in a very short time because of this careless attitude. I watched this movie a lot and lived a lot.
There are no terrorists in the protests that's a proven lie of government.
In the that night they arrested 159 students. They said 79 of 159 of the students are terrorists, than they released them all.

These kind of accusations always reminds me of our Iranian friends in PDF, always accusations and claims but no proof ever. Always writing long sentences without a single proof.

Top Bottom