uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,219
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why do you consider what UAE doing as betrayel ? Isn't that the wrong mentality to have.

It would be better to ensure UAE invests/donation to things in Turkey that will ensure better future for the people in return for selling/joint production etc.

Like Donating shitload of money to education and such in agricultural departments.
How is it betrayal when they were never on your side to begin with

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,740
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, we did.

Naval News piece on Hai Kun did mention Taiwanese creating a local substitute.
"Originally, the IDS would feature a license-produced ZOKA Torpedo Countermeasure System from ASELSAN, a Turkish defense contractor; however, as the Turkish government was tied by political factors, this plan didn’t go forward. Instead, after analyzing the ZOKA system, the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science & Technology was able to develop a domestic Torpedo Countermeasure System and integrating it into the IDS with two 6 shot canisters mounted on each side of the submarine, enabling the IDS to counter active and passive homing torpedos with soft kill capability."

Reads pretty similar to how Pulat came out of Zaslon actually.
Well, we did but we have access to NATO libraries/resources/training, a long history of operating submarines, various torpedoes and sonars, creating and updating sound signal profiles, mission files for underwater warfare. We also have a substantial background in electronic warfare. Jamming and deceiving techniques are similar.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,607
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I actually agree with this reasoning. It is unlikely Taiwanese Torpedo counter measure will perform as good as Aselsan's system for the reasons you mentioned.

However, if we apply the same logic to Turkish systems w.r.t the American ones, citing similar aspects like decades of experience and head start in research, development and extensive field testing, several times bigger budget, some folks will get upset.😁

So, it is better not to go down that path. Instead, for now we just don't know the specs of Taiwanese system. Unless there are more info, it would be hard to compare.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure that I agree.
Regarding the disapproval of sale of Zoka to Taiwan, I don’t think we were trying to establish the fact that Zoka was superior to Taiwanese domestic system. It was more in the lines of whether it was a political or critical technology decision or giving away some economic benefit to Taiwan.

In the end I believe we, at least, achieved a logical assumption in which such a sale would not be a huge economic benefit to Turkey but rather would allow Taiwan to copy our system to shorten time and dispense with economic and resource burdens. Well, at least that’s what I took from it.

Other than that, you’re right. We don’t know anything about the system.

Also, yes you are right, I believe it would be unfair comparing any country‘s (let alone Turkey) military technology research and development to US experience and know how after hundreds of trillions of simoleons they invested in over eight decades 🫤

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,607
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I am not sure that I agree.
Regarding the disapproval of sale of Zoka to Taiwan, I don’t think we were trying to establish the fact that Zoka was superior to Taiwanese domestic system. It was more in the lines of whether it was a political or critical technology decision or giving away some economic benefit to Taiwan.

In the end I believe we, at least, achieved a logical assumption in which such a sale would not be a huge economic benefit to Turkey but rather would allow Taiwan to copy our system to shorten time and dispense with economic and resource burdens. Well, at least that’s what I took from it.

No, no. I i didn't mean that. You are totally right. As @Anmdt has pointed out Taiwan is probbaly trying to trick Türkiye.

My comment was only about the technical comparison.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,740
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I actually agree with this reasoning. It is unlikely Taiwanese Torpedo counter measure will perform as good as Aselsan's system for the reasons you mentioned.

However, if we apply the same logic to Turkish systems w.r.t the American ones, citing similar aspects like decades of experience and head start in research, development and extensive field testing, several times bigger budget, some folks will get upset.😁

So, it is better not to go down that path. Instead, for now we just don't know the specs of Taiwanese system. Unless there are more info, it would be hard to compare.
For the existing systems, you are right. Siper won't be as good as American Patriot in time it will catch Patriot but for the emerging systems like UAVs, the competition is real.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,669
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Both ASCOD and K-21 have large family of variants and widely used by various customers. They’re proven IFVs. Tulpar, on the other hand … 🤷
I agree. They'll probably cut prices. And Otokar can be much more accommodating to light weight needs, like in the case of Estonia, Arma for Estonia is almost barebones. Unless Korea offers second hand K-21s, Tulpar has a chance i think. Let's see. Tulpar really needs a win at this point.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I agree. They'll probably cut prices. And Otokar can be much more accommodating to light weight needs, like in the case of Estonia, Arma for Estonia is almost barebones. Unless Korea offers second hand K-21s, Tulpar has a chance i think. Let's see. Tulpar really needs a win at this point.
And I agree. They really need one single customer! Cross your fingers.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,671
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

GBxbVOibwAACGgI

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,316
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
An international sales contract valued at 65,874,510 USD has been signed between ASELSAN and one of its international clients for the supply of defense systems.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,669
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
An international sales contract valued at 65,874,510 USD has been signed between ASELSAN and one of its international clients for the supply of defense systems.
Suprisingly literally no other details for a not so small contract. Just says "defence systems", which might be hundreds of different stuff.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,607
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
That is a good number. Does anybody know how much of it defence products and how much of it is Aerospace products?

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,316
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
ASELSAN has signed two separate sales contracts with Turkish platform manufacturing companies regarding the export of defense systems, valued at USD 9,953,500 in total, for the use of its international end-users.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom