Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
127 15,303
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Electric cars may be the wrong route to take when you look at the underlying potential problems they have.

Main reason we want to go non-fossil fuel route is to save the planet and get a zero carbon footprint. But the electricity used in fully electric cars are predominantly produced by power stations that burn fossil fuels. So how is it going to help the planet?

When an electric car is caught in a traffic jam especially in cold wintery weather on a motorway, it becomes a deadweight as it quickly uses it’s energy reserves for heating and you can not bring fuel in a petrol canister to it like petrol powered cars, causing blocked roads for miles. A good deal of US drivers had the experience last year in winter when the owners of Teslas abandoned their cars on highways. They had to be towed away.
Although Tesla says a 75% charge will last 11 hours in idling, what if you are caught with less charge or you had to stay over 12 even 24 hours on the motorway like a lot of people found they had to last year on UK’s M62 motorway?

Hybrid cars are understandable as they help the environment and use less fuel. But the future is hydrogen cell powered cars. We will see how the future of electric car saga will unfold. With many developed countries choosing to go all electric within a couple of decades, may prove to be the wrong decision.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,333
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Electric cars may be the wrong route to take when you look at the underlying potential problems they have.

Main reason we want to go non-fossil fuel route is to save the planet and get a zero carbon footprint. But the electricity used in fully electric cars are predominantly produced by power stations that burn fossil fuels. So how is it going to help the planet?

When an electric car is caught in a traffic jam especially in cold wintery weather on a motorway, it becomes a deadweight as it quickly uses it’s energy reserves for heating and you can not bring fuel in a petrol canister to it like petrol powered cars, causing blocked roads for miles. A good deal of US drivers had the experience last year in winter when the owners of Teslas abandoned their cars on highways. They had to be towed away.
Although Tesla says a 75% charge will last 11 hours in idling, what if you are caught with less charge or you had to stay over 12 even 24 hours on the motorway like a lot of people found they had to last year on UK’s M62 motorway?

Hybrid cars are understandable as they help the environment and use less fuel. But the future is hydrogen cell powered cars. We will see how the future of electric car saga will unfold. With many developed countries choosing to go all electric within a couple of decades, may prove to be the wrong decision.

Internal combustion engine will get more advanced.

Toyota made a ICE engine with hydrogen.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,264
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Tesla is planning to enter Turkiye. Would be nice with a Giga Factory as well.

It would be nice if they stay away, we are having our own.

Solutions can be found to every problem as long as they are large enough. Like make good roads, offer other methods of transportation. Unlike in the US where high speed rail is non existent countries with denser population can have high speed rail networks to complement highways.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,229
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
This is not good.
Tesla is direct competitor of TOGG

TOGG shouldn't be afraid of competition. A Tesla GIGA Factory would bring new revolutionizing production technology to Turkey which would benefit TOGG in the long-term.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,229
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I heard similar news about Morocco. So if the link you sent is trusthworthy then Tesla will open a Gigafactory in either Morocco, or Turkiye.

I don't think the link makes any claims regarding Gigafactory in Turkey. However, since Turkey is a vehicle production hub and Erdogan and Musk are buddies then it is likely.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,189
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

When was the last time that you were stuck in traffic for 12 hours? Thats a very extreme and rare case you're talking about. I was in traffic for 6hours this year in my EV while driving to Italy and hardly lost any battery.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
127 15,303
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
When was the last time that you were stuck in traffic for 12 hours? Thats a very extreme and rare case you're talking about. I was in traffic for 6hours this year in my EV while driving to Italy and hardly lost any battery.
Luckily I wasn‘t. But I misssed it by less than 20 minutes on M62 few years back when I was driving back to London. Behind me , motorists were stranded for over 24 hours on the motorway. Emergency services supplied fuel and hot beverages to the stranded motorists. It does happen there almost once every couple of years. Last year almost all of England’s main motorway and dual carriageway arteries were blocked and cars were abandoned on the roads causing havoc.
Not every country is as prepared as Germany or Switzerland for arctic conditions.
Cold plays a big role on electric power systems. It is a scientific reality that at Zero degrees Celsius, most batteries can only provide 65-70% of their full capacity. At average, Lithium Ion batteries manage around 85% of their normal performance.
As temperature drops this performance drops too. Add to that the extensive use of heating your car interior at arctic conditions. Your battery will be taking a lot of pounding and will not last very long.
There is extensive work being done for improving Lithium batteries’ cold weather performance and allowing them to be used at temperatures below 30degrees Celsius, by adding graphite anodes etc. So there is possible solution to the problems. Nevertheless the problem of cold weather performance of EV cars is there for the time being.

Last edited:

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,822
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
TOGG shouldn't be afraid of competition. A Tesla GIGA Factory would bring new revolutionizing production technology to Turkiye which would benefit TOGG in the long-term.

Competition is good, however I don't believe most people can afford these cars anyway.

It is not about Competition.
It is not about Benefits for TOGG.

I am sorry but you missing the problem here.

World Automotive giants SAW that Turkiye released TOGG product. They understand that This automotive corporations TOGG WILL HAVE THE POWER to change "PIE" of what % of money is going to which Automotive company.

BMW already reacted that they will try to HIT Turkiye market which will make TOGG product hard to sell.
Now Tesla is also make his own move to do the Same Attack.

Strategy is to confine TOGG in boarder of Turkiye. If this fail and TOGG able to establish in other countries abroad then -> Automotive giants monopoly will have BIG losses in revenue and real big PROBLEMS.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 5,067
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is not about Competition.
It is not about Benefits for TOGG.

I am sorry but you missing the problem here.

World Automotive giants SAW that Turkiye released TOGG product. They understand that This automotive corporations TOGG WILL HAVE THE POWER to change "PIE" of what % of money is going to which Automotive company.

BMW already reacted that they will try to HIT Turkiye market which will make TOGG product hard to sell.
Now Tesla is also make his own move to do the Same Attack.

Strategy is to confine TOGG in boarder of Turkiye. If this fail and TOGG able to establish in other countries abroad then -> Automotive giants monopoly will have BIG losses in revenue and real big PROBLEMS.
There will be 20 million EVs produced in 2025(Bloomberg Est.). On the other hand, TOGG's production target is 100k vehicles. That is 0.5% of all EV production.

It's important to keep the scale of things in perspective.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,822
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
There will be 20 million EVs produced in 2025(Bloomberg Est.). On the other hand, TOGG's production target is 100k vehicles. That is 0.5% of all EV production.

It's important to keep the scale of things in perspective.

I am working automotive, I am part of team developing new products which will be produced after 4-5 years.
Let me give you idea of how Strategy is made.

1 or 2 years as period like you pointed "20 million EVs produced in 2025(Bloomberg Est.)." MEAN NOTHING.
Estimation from outsiders like Bloomberg remain Estimation nothing less. Even if this estimation become real for 1 year prediction DO NOT CHANGE anything.

Automotive CARES following.
1.Keep development of new products ahead. As I said I am in the middle of development of products which will be released after 4-5 years.
2.Keep AWARE about Threats as ( new competitors, new invention, or trends) which have potential to destroy you development product to become obsolete.
3. Keep spending money of all organizations Related to automotive Standards. Make them dependent from Automotive company and actual they must be accepting and align Standards as mush as possible to What Automotive companies WANT.

TOGG showed that They WILL become Threat. TOGG proved that they have the POWER,SUPPORT and POTENTIAL to take big chuck of the automotive "PIE"/ market. Which involve establishment of branches abroad, forcing others to make hard decisions etc.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,189
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are no monopolists in the automotive industry.
TOGG is already sheltered and through the import tariffs on non-local cars.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes it is. But nothing else!
There are Strategy actions made from TOGG which directly threatening Automotive monopolists this is the Main point here
As said before TOGG already has an edge over others with tax reduction and tariffs, protecting them even more will inevitably lead to the fact that they dont need to care about product quality.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom