CAC / PAC JF17TAI Hürjet
Crew1 or 21 or 2
Length14.93 m13.6 m
Wingspan9.44 m9,5 m
Height4.77 m5.1 m
Wing area24.43 m235 m²
Empty weight6,586 kg~ 6.5 Tons
Max takeoff weight12,384 kg~ 12,300 kg
PowerplantKlimov RD-93 (84.4 kN (19,000 lbf) with afterburner)GE F404 (78.7 kN (17,700 lbf) with afterburner)
Payload~ 3400 KG~ 2800 KG
Maximum speed1.6 Mach1.4 Mach
Range1320 KM2222 KM
Service ceiling16,920 m13,716 m
g limits+8/-3+8g/-3g

Additonal Hürjet Features:

- High AoA control
- Head-up Display (HUD)
- Helmet Mounted Indicator (Conditional)
- Full Authority, Digitally Controlled Flight System
- Advanced Human Machine Interface, Minimum Familiarization Time for F-35 and MMU
- Intra & Inter Data Link
- Compatible with Night Vision (AJT, LIFT)
- Air Refueling (Dry for AJT, Liquid for LCA)
- Comfortable Administration
- Embedded Tactics Training and Live Virtual Builder Training Systems
- APU for Autonomous Operations
- Air-Air, Air-Ground Firing Capability

ROLES
• Combat Readiness Transition Training • Light Attack (Close Air Support) • “Red Aircraft” Mission in Trainings • Air Patrol (Armed and Unarmed)
• Acrobatic Demonstration Aircraft

I feel like Hürjet as a Platform is quite solid and its going to be flexible in its roles.
TAI Hürjet seems identical to KAI T-50 Golden Eagle, which is a good thing.

JF-17 is quite interesting since as a platform it adapted and became a capable fighter jet.
I would love to see twin engined Hürjet

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can we turn Hurjet to a fighter jet if TFX takes longer than anticipated? If so, in your opinion, can a Hurjet take on Viper?(hurjet with aesa and gokhan aa missile)

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
A Quick Comparison.

View attachment 37418 View attachment 37417
CAC / PAC JF17TAI Hürjet
Crew1 or 21 or 2
Length14.93 m13.6 m
Wingspan9.44 m9,5 m
Height4.77 m5.1 m
Wing area24.43 m235 m²
Empty weight6,586 kg~ 6.5 Tons
Max takeoff weight12,384 kg~ 12,300 kg
PowerplantKlimov RD-93 (84.4 kN (19,000 lbf) with afterburner)GE F404 (78.7 kN (17,700 lbf) with afterburner)
Payload~ 3400 KG~ 2800 KG
Maximum speed1.6 Mach1.4 Mach
Range1320 KM2222 KM
Service ceiling16,920 m13,716 m
g limits+8/-3+8g/-3g

Additonal Hürjet Features:

- High AoA control
- Head-up Display (HUD)
- Helmet Mounted Indicator (Conditional)
- Full Authority, Digitally Controlled Flight System
- Advanced Human Machine Interface, Minimum Familiarization Time for F-35 and MMU
- Intra & Inter Data Link
- Compatible with Night Vision (AJT, LIFT)
- Air Refueling (Dry for AJT, Liquid for LCA)
- Comfortable Administration
- Embedded Tactics Training and Live Virtual Builder Training Systems
- APU for Autonomous Operations
- Air-Air, Air-Ground Firing Capability

ROLES
• Combat Readiness Transition Training • Light Attack (Close Air Support) • “Red Aircraft” Mission in Trainings • Air Patrol (Armed and Unarmed)
• Acrobatic Demonstration Aircraft

I feel like Hürjet as a Platform is quite solid and its going to be flexible in its roles.
TAI Hürjet seems identical to KAI T-50 Golden Eagle, which is a good thing.

The Hürjet is also quite cheap compared to a T129 ATAK Helicopter.

"Malaysian Air Force has allocated a budget of $ 961.6 million for a fleet of (18) light attack aircraft."
> 53 Million USD per Plane.

"The Philippines will pay 269,388,862 USD for 6 T129 ATAK helicopters."
> 45 Million USD per Heli.

I don't Expect a 2 Engine Variant of HÜRJET due to not having enough Money.

View attachment 37425

What should be considered is an Upgrade of the selected Engine.

The F404 delivers 78 kN Thrust for the Trainer Variant.
The almost identical F414 delivers ~ 100 kN Thrust which could be selected for the Combat Variant especially helpful for TCG Anadolu.

The F414 is the Engine used in Jas 39 Gripen-E but the Gripen has 30m2 Wing area while Hürjet has a Wing area of 35m2.

Additional Info:

TAI hasn't released the Final Look of HÜRJET!
The mockup which everybody has seen is from 2018 and has wing area of 24m2 which has been increased to 35m2

The F16 has a wing area of 28m2
The Hürjet old has 24m2
The Hürjet New has 35m2

The Wing area on Hürjet is crazy big which might due to TAI planning big. Perhaps Considering a Engine Swap with more Payload.

View attachment 37428

Dassault Mirage 2000C has wing area of ~ 40m2 on a Wingspan 9.2m
For Visual Reference on the Wing area

View attachment 37431
Hold up... The wing area on Hurjet is absolutely insane. I wonder if TAI is going for a configuration change on the wing. I highly doubt that to be the case but mannn I don't even know at this point :D

M

Manomed

Yo are not saying anything, as usual.
Hürjet has to get mature, this will take years for you to understand there will be lots of tweaks upgrades etc till it gets the Fighter variant.

Jet programs ain't childs play they take good amount of time

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hürjet has to get mature, this will take years for you to understand there will be lots of tweaks upgrades etc till it gets the Fighter variant.

Jet programs ain't childs play they take good amount of time
TAI that are making the MMU is no child.
I believe jet trainer aircraft are not as useful as they used to be so skip the trainer and make a full grown fighter and patch the gap that may be faced before MMU comes online.

M

Manomed

TAI that are making the MMU is no child.
I believe jet trainer aircraft are not as useful as they used to be so skip the trainer and make a full grown fighter and patch the gap that may be faced before MMU comes online.
It doesn't work like that does TAI has any background making jets? no this will give them experience This ain't red alert you can't rush that

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It doesn't work like that does TAI has any background making jets? no this will give them experience This ain't red alert you can't rush that
TAI have enough experience modifying the F16 and they have already started prototype production of the more advanced MMU, I would trust them a simpler plane like an F16 equivalent 4.5 gen plane. We need a plane to use a single MMU engine anyway as it would be a waste if we didn't make a plane for a single MMU engine.

Last edited:
M

Manomed

TAI have enough experience modifying the F16 and they have already started prototype production of the more advance MMU, I would trust them a simpler plane like an F16 equivalent 4.5 gen plane. We need a plane to use a single MMU engine anyway as it would be a waste if we didn't make a plane for a single MMU engine.
Modifying and Making are 2 diffrent things

Rajendra Chola

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
Can we turn Hurjet to a fighter jet if TFX takes longer than anticipated? If so, in your opinion, can a Hurjet take on Viper?(hurjet with aesa and gokhan aa missile)

You could. But it would take lot of time. As of now the induction time of 2026 for.hurjet if I believe is only for the trainer variant.

For fighters, FCS needs to be refined to.be able to carry higher loads at higher G forces, drop tanks testing, BVR missiles. You would be looking at 2030 timeframe just for the IOC fighter version.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
You could. But it would take lot of time. As of now the induction time of 2026 for.hurjet if I believe is only for the trainer variant.

For fighters, FCS needs to be refined to.be able to carry higher loads at higher G forces, drop tanks testing, BVR missiles. You would be looking at 2030 timeframe just for the IOC fighter version.

The current delivery date for Hurjet is 2025. Most of the "fighter version" work is being done in parallel as it has already been stated that the aircraft will be much more than a trainer. In essence, we could see this happen a few years before 2030.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,741
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would like to point out that several people here thinks Hürjet is the project that will make or break those visions sown. When Hürjet rolls out, and flies all those critics will be silenced, or they will find something else to criticize. But what's important is that Hürjet flies. It doesn't matter if the engine is foreign or domestic. When it flies and hopefully performs to expectations of TAF that will be proof enough and experience enough for Turkish defense industry to take off.

It doesn't matter if it's 4th gen or not. If the technology developed can be used commercially that's great because it's a chance to generate income from other sources than military.

Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
E26EC3D4-C50D-4778-89A5-6DCF4398579E.jpeg

Top Bottom