Army Indian Army Small Arms Archive

Zapper

Contributor
Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Any 7.62x51 platform will have considerably higher recoil than IA's existing 5.56 INSAS staple. But among 7.62x51/.308 platforms, an AR-10 platform like the SIG 716 will actually have significantly milder recoil impulse compared to types like SLR - thanks to the buffer mechanism.

Obviously, IA will have to adapt their INSAS-tailored training doctrines taking the new weapon platform into account. But this will take time.

Three tranches? Wasn't it just two? And far as I know, while there was talk of approval (some reports may have misinterpreted as ordered) for additional 72k, and of the deal being fast-tracked but did we actually place that order? I don't recall seeing any report that said we put pen to paper.
Looks like you're right. Some media outlet misreported it and I remember it being discussed on some forum

Zapper

Contributor
Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Well overdue, need to see lot more orders from IA.
IN and IAF are definitely looking inwards for their future projects and induction of next gen tech. IN has always traditionally built all or most of it's naval platforms in Indian shipyards though some of the sub-systems were imported and IAF has also given contracts to local private firms for it's drone tech

It's high time IA should follow suit. While Tonbo, MKU and TASL/TAML are getting orders...we should cancel the OFB-Kalashnikov AK-203 contract and go for a license production of AR-15 styled platform with some local defence firm

Top Bottom