Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,837
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Have you ever visit Igneada? A beautiful place with untouched nature (Longoz).

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
İğneada Launch Site Progress

Image-1 : 08.03.2021

GJMycmyXoAAUnwA

Image-2 : 17.03.2024
GJMycnQWwAAQT9Y

Nice progress. Igneada was the only option in Turkiye for West-East launches to be honest. Though does Turkiye have any concrete options on how they'll launch SSO or Polar orbit? I've seen others talk about sea launch and I know there are some stuff going on with Somalia, but I wonder if any of those are actually plausible.

Sea launch would still require them go all the way out into the Atlantic or near Odesa. Somalia is... well, we know how things are still in Somalia.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
View attachment 66932

First picture of what Fergani Space is working on! They are going to leave their mark on the space industry as well.

First launch of their satellite expected in 2024!
Kudos to them. Mass producing satellites is the way to go but, can someone tell me what their business model is? What services will these satellites provide? I don't remember reading anything on it(maybe i missed it).

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If they can build a constellation they can provide sat-com services to less fortunate militaries. I wish their payload is light enough to launch from İğneada.

Last edited:

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If they can build a constellation they can provide sat-com services to less fortunate militaries.
doesn't explain the LEO part. why would you launch hundreds(possibly) of satellites to cover the entire earth for just a few military services. also, you will have to replace them every several years due to drag. it's not feasible.

GEO satellites would do the job.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
doesn't explain the LEO part. why would you launch hundreds(possibly) of satellites to cover the entire earth for just a few military services. also, you will have to replace them every several years due to drag. it's not feasible.

GEO satellites have latency. They can control fast planes with minimal latency with LEO satellites. If the cost of launching from İğneada is acceptable then Roketsan've already got a customer who can pay the cost of fast track launch services RD.

Kitra

Reactions
2 201
Nation of residence
Sweden
Nation of origin
Turkey

Starlink already have about 5000 sats in LEO with a planned 50000 more on the way.

Make no mistake, Starlink is the backbone to control 6th generation airforces in almost realtime. Furthermore, it is in practice a multistatic global AESA radar to detect fifth generation aircrafts (since the aircraft top/wings are flat).

Several countries are planning to build sat constellations for this exact purpose. Turkey is one of them but it will take a good 20 years before we are there.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Starlink already have about 5000 sats in LEO with a planned 50000 more on the way.

Make no mistake, Starlink is the backbone to control 6th generation airforces in almost realtime. Furthermore, it is in practice a multistatic global AESA radar to detect fifth generation aircrafts (since the aircraft top/wings are flat).

Several countries are planning to build sat constellations for this exact purpose. Turkey is one of them but it will take a good 20 years before we are there.
I did a little browsing after reading your post. The constellation you're referring to is named as "Starshield". Basically, DoD has contracted SpaceX to use Starlink's satellite bus to develop(or derive if you will) a satellite with SAR(Synthetic Aperture Radar) and GMTI(Ground Moving Target Indicator) capabilities. They'll use SpaceX's already existing manufacturing might to produce hundreds of these spy satellites and use Falcon9 or Starship to launch them into LEO. It's crazy to think about but other countries(only China imo) will follow suit as you put it. It's more urgent than ever for China to develop a reusable launch vehicle if they don't want to become irrelevant.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Kudos to them. Mass producing satellites is the way to go but, can someone tell me what their business model is? What services will these satellites provide? I don't remember reading anything on it(maybe i missed it).

If I remember correctly, they are working in several directions.

1. LEO constellation (alike starlink/starshield, but more regional)
2. Space Tug
3. Launch vehicle

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

2. Space Tug
3. Launch vehicle
LEO is by definition global. whatever service they'll provide it has to be global. And they will have to either set up ground stations all over the world or have inter-satellite laser links.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
LEO is by definition global. whatever service they'll provide it has to be global. And they will have to either set up ground stations all over the world or have inter-satellite laser links.
They can probably make a strip along an orbital path rather than global until they can launch satellites en masse.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

In LEO orbit, to provide global services you'll need 4-5000 sats. To provide regional services, you'll probably need 4-500 (depending on the region). The important element is coverage and quality of service - you can't provide global stable coverage with 4-500 sats.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

2. Space Tug
3. Launch vehicle
There is no launch vehicle project at the moment. DeltaV and Roketsan are working on launch vehicles.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom