Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
not gone happen, biden will impose more sanctions on turkey, some other options should be considered.
We can take that risk. The worst case scenario is the Turkish engine initially produces a low power and the plane is somewhat slower than intended which can be addressed over time. Seems like our guys may want to try making a smaller engine for Hürjet too.

I think Trump is an anomaly, he is so close with Israeli government. If the worst scenario happen where the indigenous engine is not ready, I think you still can buy F 110 engine from GE. I suggest you do it now since you can have better deal with more TOT and possibly local production like happening with F 16 program.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I think Trump is an anomaly, he is so close with Israeli government. If the worst scenario happen where the indigenous engine is not ready, I think you still can buy F 110 engine from GE. I suggest you do it now since you can have better deal with more TOT and possibly local production like happening with F 16 program.
There is no logic in that approach, you now that usa stopped amd canceles already paid air platforms for turkey, onky reasonable pathway is to go full speed towards mius drone and organically maturing tfx program along necessary flll gaps measures.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It seems that the emphasis on the company side was given more for the Fighter Jet Programme because the Airforce is pressuring to make the switch faster as expected and there is no rushing need for the Gökbey when there is already the T-70 is delivered to the Turkish Armed Forces.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Temel Kotil also told that in the coming days there will be some positive information about engines of the MMU Fighter Project, which could be either from the Turkish developer TR Motor or maybe that there are new improvements with the negotiations between TAI and Rolls Royce. 2021 will be a very productive year for the Turkish Defense and Aviation Industry, who despite worldwide corona problems has again managed a huge profit of 1 billion dollars surplus

neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 987
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do you have any info about this bulkhead ? Which institute produced it ? Was it produced with 3D printing or titanium pressing methods ?
My opinion As Engineer who works with Standart Stampings machines, That Bulkhead can't be produce with usual stamping methods, And You check You can see starking contrast to F35/F22 bulkheads compare to KFX.

Details of this design can be achived with 3D Printing.

F35 Bulkhead

N7GUANJEMBHHBJNBPTCSI65FDA.jpg

F22 Bulkhead
F-22-bulkhead-forging-3000-kg-17-m-high-by-4m-wide-Source-J-Rossow-Wyman-Gordon.ppm

Attachments

• N7GUANJEMBHHBJNBPTCSI65FDA.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 78
  • F-22-bulkhead-forging-3000-kg-17-m-high-by-4m-wide-Source-J-Rossow-Wyman-Gordon.ppm.png
    F-22-bulkhead-forging-3000-kg-17-m-high-by-4m-wide-Source-J-Rossow-Wyman-Gordon.ppm.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
My opinion As Engineer who works with Standart Stampings machines, That Bulkhead can't be produce with usual stamping methods, And You check You can see starking contrast to F35/F22 bulkheads compare to KFX.

F35 Bulkhead

F22 Bulkhead
F-22-bulkhead-forging-3000-kg-17-m-high-by-4m-wide-Source-J-Rossow-Wyman-Gordon.ppm
Deep and sharp insets are to blame I guess.

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,366
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

F35 Bulkhead

F22 Bulkhead

You as a prof in the business i have a question for you, will we able to press like that within 10 years?

neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 987
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You as a prof in the business i have a question for you, will we able to press like that within 10 years?
I work with these machines daily and Stamping Methods changed very little in the Last 100 years. Like @Yasar pointed out Deep and Sharp lines cant be done with stamping method. And These sort of Machines can only be acquired with Governmental support. And We can clearly understand from Mr Kotil's interview This isnt on the agenda for Now. So No I dont See any Turkish company acquering These technology in the foreseeable future.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The huge titanium bulkheads of TfX to be produced with 3D printing will be undergo stress tests in labratories, later the prototypes will be produced around these bulkheads and will be tested at high G forces in air. I belive Turkish industry will prove its manufacturing capability at this most critical section of aircraft. If any crack or deformation are not met in 3D printed bulkheads, It will be approved for serial production. The actual matter to discuss must be the resistance level of these 3D printed bulkheads against pressed equivalents. 3D titanium printing is relatively new and promising production method and It seems Turkey will be pioneer by applying these method for the most critical section of a multi-role aircraft that will have more than 20m length and around 60000lbf thrust in total.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Looking at the KFX bulkhead it is not presswork at all, it is completely routed from a thick slab of metal.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is unbelievable how carbon composite is not used for the inner webbing of the bulkhead with some cross-link support bars in steel or titanium. Carbon fiber is supposed to be 8 times stronger as same weight steel. Probably because compressional strength is required rather than tensile.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
The huge titanium bulkheads of TfX to be produced with 3D printing will be undergo stress tests in labratories, later the prototypes will be produced around these bulkheads and will be tested at high G forces in air. I belive Turkish industry will prove its manufacturing capability at this most critical section of aircraft. If any crack or deformation are not met in 3D printed bulkheads, It will be approved for serial production. The actual matter to discuss must be the resistance level of these 3D printed bulkheads against pressed equivalents. 3D titanium printing is relatively new and promising production method and It seems Turkey will be pioneer by applying these method for the most critical section of a multi-role aircraft that will have more thab 19m length and around 50000lbf thrust in total.
Temel Kotil said Turkey is the first country who produce Turbine blades with 3D technology with 95% as reliable as previous tech. if you produce Turbine blades, then you are able to produce anything i guess..

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
How will Aluminium resist to high pressures at high speeds?
Aluminum alloys are even used in engine blocks so they have a respectable strength. But at the end what counts is the material strength to weight ratio in aviation. Aluminum is an easy to process metal so it is an option to fall back to if better (?) choices can not be accessed to. But why does K-FX use routed aluminum?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Green = Aluminium

EreKhALXUAEVTL_

7085-T7452 = Aluminium alloy
Ti-6-4Eli = Titanium

It seems F35 central bulkhead are produced with single pieces forging titanium and Rest of the Bulkheads are produced with Aluminium for weight saving. (y)

E

Era_shield

7085-T7452 = Aluminium alloy
Ti-6-4Eli = Titanium

It seems F35 central bulkhead are produced with single pieces forging titanium and Rest of the Bulkheads are produced with Aluminium for weight saving. (y)
They use aluminium to keep the cost low, since a titanium part of equal strength is lighter but is much more expensive and difficult to produce. Lockheed even had to redesign the F-35B bulkhead and change it from titanium to aluminium even though this made the plane heavier: link

Top Bottom