DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,608
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@Radonsider Iirc, you talked about some sort of generator. Otherwise F110 does not generate that much power.
Could elaborate it one more time? I don't remember all of it.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
@Radonsider Iirc, you talked about some sort of generator. Otherwise F110 does not generate that much power.
Could elaborate it one more time? I don't remember all of it.
Electric generation is not really limited by the F-110, well it is but not at this level.

F-110 generates MUCH more power if you were able to take all of the energy and convert it into electricity. It would mean a lot of MVA's.

120kVA from a single engine, especially if you have a good enough efficiency is not much of a loss.

iirc GE was able to generate around 1MW from a single F-110 (on ground) with around 1.5k hp loss from its shaft, that's not really much if you think about it

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,608
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
If F110 if modified as power turbine or something like that, then that is a different disscusion.

I mean, by definition engines require electric generators to provide power. Amd afaik, there is limitations here. (Both for the generator and the engine) Otherwise, they would have solved the F35's power shortage more easily.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
If F110 if modified as power turbine or something like that, then that is a different disscusion.

I mean, by definition engines require electric generators to provide power. Amd afaik, there is limitations here. (Both for the generator and the engine) Otherwise, they would have solved the F35's power shortage more easily.
There were proposals to remove the lift fan and equip a 1MW generator for the normal F-135

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,608
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Also F-110 recieving different generators is not uncommon

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some sort of special generator would be needed for KAAN' F110s to generate more power than the avarage ones.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,684
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Simply to put it, Tempest doesn't exist at this point in time
Well,yea. But I stumbled upon that number in a list of requirements paper about one of those 6th gen fighters while I was in a vacation, but now I can't find the bloody thing when I need it the most!

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some sort of special generator would be needed for KAAN' F110s to generate more power than the avarage ones.
Well that's why Volt tech and İşbir produces those stuff

IMG_20230913_233409.jpg

Their sheet for alternators and generators

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,833
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

According to information compiled by SavunmaSanayiST.com, people briefed on the visit told Bloomberg that Turkey is in talks with the United Kingdom to expand the scope of an existing free trade agreement and is in talks with Rolls-Royce Holdings on joint engine production for tank and fighter jet projects.

The National Fighter Aircraft KAAN Programme, which is being carried out under the prime contractor Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), is also supported by the UK-based BAE Systems. On the other hand, Kale Group company Kale Arge is cooperating with Rolls-Royce to develop an engine for KAAN.

According to information obtained by SavunmaSanayiST.com from defence sources, the tender for KAAN's engine has not yet been finalised. In the tender, Kale Arge - Rolls-Royce and a group of three companies consisting of TRMotor, TEI and a Ukrainian company have submitted bids.

Now this is what I would call a plot twist.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,927
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,927
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 971
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope they dont join the engine or KAAN project since its critical project for future of Turkish nation and everything should be national but i am pro to buy very cheap 4-6 tf23 frigates and upgrades them to modern warships with Turkish systems just like barboroes .
If UK join the KAAN than wait the further delays just like germans did with Altay 😡😡

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope they dont join the engine or KAAN project since its critical project for future of Turkish nation and everything should be national but i am pro to buy very cheap 4-6 tf23 frigates and upgrades them to modern warships with Turkish systems just like barboroes .
If UK join the KAAN than wait the further delays just like germans did with Altay 😡😡
I dont think they will join,unless their project with japanese is a rubbish.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,608
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Just leaving it here. Haci production needs to make one for KAAN when it starts flying.

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom

I don't know much about the Turkish aviation industry nor do I know much about Turkish foreign political interaction with other states. Having said that, IMO the Kaan project is faced with these problems

- US could block supply of US engines, crippling production. That is something that could be precipitated by the US view of Turkish actions within and without Turkiye ie if Turkiye pursued policies or actions repugnant to the US.
- Turkiye may not be capable of designing and building an engine suitable for use in the Kaan without considerable input from a foreign OEM able to do just that. Suitability for use in Kaan incorporates a time element (succeeding on a technical level in 2040 or 2050 is not much use). Is it realistic to think that a good engine can be designed, developed, tested and put into production by a Turkish OEM by 2030?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know much about the Turkish aviation industry nor do I know much about Turkish foreign political interaction with other states. Having said that, IMO the Kaan project is faced with these problems

- US could block supply of US engines, crippling production. That is something that could be precipitated by the US view of Turkish actions within and without Turkiye ie if Turkiye pursued policies or actions repugnant to the US.
- Turkiye may not be capable of designing and building an engine suitable for use in the Kaan without considerable input from a foreign OEM able to do just that. Suitability for use in Kaan incorporates a time element (succeeding on a technical level in 2040 or 2050 is not much use). Is it realistic to think that a good engine can be designed, developed, tested and put into production by a Turkish OEM by 2030?
We haven't seen a precedent so nobody can say for sure but the top Turkish aviation official says we will, to me it means %100 doable.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,927
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

These are valid points and were reiterated many times in the forum. The fact is that we have no other choice. If we can't develop the engine we will be dependent on the US for F110s as you pointed out. And even if the US caused us no headache(which they will), KAAN would still be underpowered with twin-config F110s.

The timelines we're told regarding indigenous TF35K engine are;

- 2026 First Ignition
- 2028 Platform Integration and first flight
- 2032-2033 serial production

Time will tell if these milestones will be achieved on schedule. It's unlikely but not impossible, imho. The progress of TF6K and TF10K will give us some hint of our abilities. If we suffer any schedule slips with TF6K because of technical issues, then it would be unreasonable to expect TF35K to be put in serial production before 2035.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom