TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered: why has the prototype only flown 2 times in nearly 4 months? Is it perhaps that the second prototype is much closer to what the final prototype is expected to be so there is not much to be gained from testing the first one?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,834
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KAAN's avionics and actual plane part is done successfully thanks to aeronautical engineer Temel Kotil.

They most certainly are not.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered: why has the prototype only flown 2 times in nearly 4 months? Is it perhaps that the second prototype is much closer to what the final prototype is expected to be so there is not much to be gained from testing the first one?
Basically, yes.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KAAN is a success except engines and proven stealth. Anyone denying this is either blind or a liar.

If engineers do not complain about the CEO asking for the impossible all the time then that means the CEO is not doing his job.

For example if everyone in Aselsan loves their ex-CEO because of low production rates and subpar products compared to west does that make Aselsan a big success?

How about THY and TUSAS? Or Apple or any Elon Musk company. The CEOs shouldn't allow subordinates to dictate anything, slow the company down no matter how much they complain or revolt.

Kotil explained this better in Hürjet documentary. I am seeing X posts I am assuming from TUSAS workers about low paychecks compared to western companies and too much hard work under Kotil.

I hope the new CEO won't be another Haluk Görgün. Someone that sets a low bar or doesn't set one at all to please his underlings. I am talking about abysmal export numbers of Aselsan under him. İsmail Demir started hundreds of projects what did Haluk Görgün start since he took over SSB? Anyone? Where is the million FPVs a year project from SSB for example? What is he waiting for?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 7,937
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
KAAN is a success except engines and proven stealth. Anyone denying this is either blind or a liar.

You said something very specific. You claimed that-
KAAN's avionics and actual plane part is done successfully thanks to aeronautical engineer Temel Kotil.

To which @Sanchez replied, 'they most certainly are not.'

Either you engage with the argument or you don't. Indirect name calling is not okay.

KAAN's main sensor MURAD-600A hasn't been fabricated yet. It is still in the critical design phase. Without the actual physical thing, how is it done? And we are not even talking about the extensive testing and validation process yet. This is just one example.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,266
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

If engineers do not complain about the CEO asking for the impossible all the time then that means the CEO is not doing his job.

For example if everyone in Aselsan loves their ex-CEO because of low production rates and subpar products compared to west does that make Aselsan a big success?

How about THY and TUSAS? Or Apple or any Elon Musk company. The CEOs shouldn't allow subordinates to dictate anything, slow the company down no matter how much they complain or revolt.

Kotil explained this better in Hürjet documentary. I am seeing X posts I am assuming from TUSAS workers about low paychecks compared to western companies and too much hard work under Kotil.

I hope the new CEO won't be another Haluk Görgün. Someone that sets a low bar or doesn't set one at all to please his underlings. I am talking about abysmal export numbers of Aselsan under him. İsmail Demir started hundreds of projects what did Haluk Görgün start since he took over SSB? Anyone? Where is the million FPVs a year project from SSB for example? What is he waiting for?
Turns out engineers are human and need to go home and see their families sometimes. You need to balance it, human are the most valuable resource to the company, if you overwork and burn then out quickly you don't have a sustainable business, and experienced workers can't just be replaced by newcomers like that. It's a tough balancing act.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Which to @Sanchez replied, 'they most certainly are not.'

Either you engage with the argument or you don't. Indirect name calling is not okay.

KAAN's main sensor MURAD-600A hasn't been fabricated yet. It is still in the critical design phase. Without the actual physical thing, how is it done? We are not even talking about the extensive testing and validation process. And this is just one example.
I obviously didn't mean he personally wrote the avionics code. LOL. But TUSAS and THY existed before him but they never were such big success stories until Kotil started asking for the impossible first in THY and then TUSAS. Engineers come and go. I am writing this as a software engineer. Companies can't worry about workers too much. Someone with low pain threshold or drive might quit, let him so that a better hungrier newcomer can take his place.

Go watch Elon Musk Mars project speech. You can't balance work and your other hobbies, interests and even your family if you are working on a critical project. If that is too much for you quit!

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KAAN's main sensor MURAD-600A hasn't been fabricated yet. It is still in the critical design phase. Without the actual physical thing, how is it done? And we are not even talking about the extensive testing and validation process yet. This is just one example.
I already said Aselsan isn't being utilized to it's full potential. TUSAS or Kotil isn't responsible for what Aselsan or lesser CEOs failed to do. Am I not writing in plain English? There seems to be some kind of miscommunication.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,957
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

To which @Sanchez replied, 'they most certainly are not.'

Mate, you're arguing with someone who uses Elon Mush as a positive example in 2024, that should tell you everything you need to know about how this dialogue is going to go. Not to mention if you paid any attention to their posts they have a habit of insulting people directly or indirectly and acting like they are superior because of what they think is right. Just don't waste your time.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,834
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I already said Aselsan isn't being utilized to it's full potential. TUSAS or Kotil isn't responsible for what Aselsan or lesser CEOs failed to do. Am I not writing in plain English? There seems to be some kind of miscommunication.
Aselsan is many things and you probably have a point in utilization but Aselsan is not a private company. It mainly does what SSB tells them to do. Aselsan does everything from gun optics to long range radars and everything else in between. It’s a company like none other and it’s more akin to Raytheon, L3 and Elcan combined. It’s a behemoth, it will never be as flexible. TAI is not that different and they also have their downsides.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 7,937
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Aselsan is many things and you probably have a point in utilization but Aselsan is not a private company. It mainly does what SSB tells them to do. Aselsan does everything from gun optics to long range radars and everything else in between. It’s a company like none other and it’s more akin to Raytheon, L3 and Elcan combined. It’s a behemoth, it will never be as flexible. TAI is not that different and they also have their downsides.

I think the most accruate comparison would be, a fully state owned Thales.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I do worry about the future of Turkish defense industry as a whole :(

First İsmail Demir, Gürcan Okumuş, now Kotil. Anyone who actually does something extraordinary gets targeted. I know very little about new CEO, but who here thinks that İsmail Demir wasn't better at his SSB job?

Also, Turkish RAMjet ambitions disappeared along with Gürcan OKUMUŞ of Tubitak SAGE. I feel like there is yet another classic silent operation against budding Turkish defense industry by NATO collaborators. But I have no actual proof it is just a feeling. Turkish history is my teacher.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 5,065
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now the question is if we'll witness any timeline or delivery plan changes for TAI's projects. Will KAAN be delivered in 2028? If so, how many? Will the new CEO reiterate the year 2028 for TF35K's FF? Will he provide a clear roadmap for the helicopter programs? What's the status of test infrastructure investments?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,894
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You guys are chasing the wrong ghosts. Rensselaer Polytechnic lobby removed Temel Kotil. New SSB head has been appointing Rensselaer graduates left and right since he took office.

Last edited:

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,342
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You guys are chasing the wrong ghosts. Rensselaer Polytechnic lobby removed Temel Kotil. New SSB head has been appointing Rensselaer graduates left and right since he took office.

Is it really bad, or is it just the new guy shaking things up?

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is it really bad, or is it just the new guy shaking things up?
Nepotism isn't good, is it? If he wanted to shake things up he would actually do something worth talking about other than nepotism. Tells me all I needed to know why not brand new SSB projects have been started up since İsmail Demir. Defense industry sadly is too busy with the diseased pitiful mentality that destroyed Ottoman Empire.

629 out of 20,966

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Ranking (2024) | Top Universities

Last edited:

moz68k

Reactions
18 619
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dr. Mehmet Demiroğlu was a frequent collaborator of Dr. Mahmut Akşit, so he's a turbomachinery guy through and through. He has patents under GE in his name. It might be good for TAI, seeing that most projects' success now revolves around the development of indigenous engines. I'm conflicted though, as Dr. Kotil, warts and all, has always been a visionary. Turkish Airlines, and now TAI, owe a lot to him.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,894
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dr. Mehmet Demiroğlu was a frequent collaborator of Dr. Mahmut Akşit, so he's a turbomachinery guy through and through. He has patents under GE in his name. It might be good for TAI, seeing that most projects' success now revolves around the development of indigenous engines. I'm conflicted though, as Dr. Kotil, warts and all, has always been a visionary. Turkish Airlines, and now TAI, owe a lot to him.
He is a qualified guy there is no doubt about that. He is nothing like the zoo manager who was appointed to some division of Tubitak in the past but there are two things to take notice.
1) He was "vice director" of the helicopter division of TUSAS so he is promoted ahead of people that outrank him and became the general manager of TUSAS. This is a very rare occurrence.
2) Somehow all of the Ranssealer Polytechnic graduates are appointed to higher offices. I won't say they do not have the required qualifications but there are other highly qualified personnel working for those institutions. Why any Ranssealer graduate for example better than a M.I.T. graduate?

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
24 19,013
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
this is politics ppl.

Remember the LOA for F-16 has been signed, guess why Temel got replaced, and guess what's going to happen to the delivery date of KAAN.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom